Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:52:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hello from Russia  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Maurenkönig

• Assistant
Hello from Russia
« on: August 15, 2016, 10:52:31 PM »
Hello,

My name is Ivan and I live in St Petersburg.

I've been painting and collecting(and sometimes even playing!) miniatures for several years(since early 2000s, I think), starting with the WH40k, then moving to collecting WHFB orcs and goblins - from 4th edition range by Kev Adams to the latest releases, but left hobby shortly before the "End Times" release..

My main interest is medieval history and although I'm not a historian, I am pretty thoroughly study the theme, reading a lot of specialized literature (often in foreign languages, especially in light of the fact that there is very little literature in Russian on some themes), so, sometimes it seems to me that I'm "proxying" true historian. Probably, that is why I am so pedantic with my miniatures and related researches.

Now, after a "short" break(which lasted for almost 2 years), I'm back in hobby with plans for several projects in historicals and maybe fantasy, so I think I'll have something to show you soon.
Really enjoy this forum, very helpful and inspiring stuff you have here.

Once again, greet all.
Best regards,
Ivan
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:24:57 AM by Maurenkönig »

Offline Harwood Hobbies

• Scientist
    • Harwood Hobbies
Re: Hello from Russia
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 06:11:32 AM »
Welcome to the forum Ivan!!   :)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 06:20:27 AM »
Welcome - looking forward to the pics.  8)

Offline Gun bunny

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 08:24:34 AM »
enjoy your stay and welcome

Offline Flashman14

• Scientist
    • One of My Men Became Restless
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 11:23:32 AM »
Tell us about the Russian gaming scene.

Is it your impression that it's is as popular there as it is in Europe or the US?

Are there Russian figure manufacturers there that maybe other gamers have never heard of or seen?

Just trying to get a sense of what the scene may be like there - a fully complete gaming hobby industry or one where individuals rely primarily on European and American imports.

You don't have to answer any of that, I was just curious.
"One of My Men Became Restless" focuses on 15mm Horse & Musket periods and 25mm Horse & Musket, Fantasy, Horror and Victorian everything! Occasionally there'll be stuff of related interest but it's mostly a painters blog.  See it all here: http://flashman14.blogspot.com/

Offline Maurenkönig

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 01:42:31 PM »
Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Is it your impression that it's is as popular there as it is in Europe or the US?
Dont think so. Firstly, for many people it is quite expensive hobby, because prices are based primarily on the exchange rate which sometimes becomes extremely unfavorable(like now). Communities are largely concentrated in big cities such as Moscow and St.Petersburg, though some players and hobby enthusiasts are presented in other cities.
Speaking of popular wargames - the first place goes to WH40K I think. WHFB isn't so popular, although there is a considerable group of 'old' players still remains and also some influx of players is going on now(as far as I can see) after Age of Sigmar release. Flames of War as well as Warmachine/Hordes are quite popular alternatives for the above. But in general almost any wargame and/or setting has its fans here.
I would also like to mention our SAGA community run by my friends in Moscow. Guys held regular tournaments and events at their local stores, organize master classes and so on. It is very cool and, most importantly, very fresh and new invention. The local stores itself, where you can play wargames, buy miniatures and even paint ones with your friends(or world-known painters during master-classes), is a relatively new phenomenon here, and just a few years ago we could only dream of it, seeing it only during a trip to Europe for example.

Are there Russian figure manufacturers there that maybe other gamers have never heard of or seen?
For example, a friend of mine started manufacturing some 28mm medieval russians and vikings, sculpted by Ratnik.
There are a few more manufacturers, mainly focused on medievals, but even here, in Russia, its sometimes quite difficult to contact them or place an order.

Just trying to get a sense of what the scene may be like there - a fully complete gaming hobby industry or one where individuals rely primarily on European and American imports.
Its hard to call it "a fully complete gaming hobby industry" at the moment, but some positive changes have taken place in recent years. I hope in the future things will only get better.
But at this point, hobby is supported by individuals and much of it depends on their enthusiasm. Somewhere it will be one and a half man playing unpainted space marines at home, but somewhere else one enthusiast can invite the best painters from all over the world, rent business-center literally in the middle of Moscow, and finally organize painting contest which exceed the level of many European ones.
A country of contrasts we have here. :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:37:28 AM by Maurenkönig »

Offline Flashman14

• Scientist
    • One of My Men Became Restless
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 12:21:10 AM »
Thanks for those thoughtful replies! The language barrier prevents me from investigating much on my own so I'm grateful you took the time to enlighten me/us a bit.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 05:34:02 AM »
Welcome Mauren!

About gaming in Russia, I'm an expat in Moscow and I agree with the assessment.  Here we're lucky to have a pretty big 'pool' to draw from with regard to players and there is a fantastic shop GeekWars, that rivals any I've seen in Europe or the States regarding gaming.  It has about 10 large tables with full terrain to play games from Mallifux to 40k to historicals.  But the expense is a bit higher for all the reasons Mauren cited.

The RPG scene is even smaller.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Maurenkönig

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 02:12:18 PM »
Thanks!

Thanks for those thoughtful replies! The language barrier prevents me from investigating much on my own so I'm grateful you took the time to enlighten me/us a bit.
You are welcome.
The above-mentioned language barrier prevents me from full and more literate narrative. :'(
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 03:09:02 PM by Maurenkönig »