Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:47:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ex-gamer says hello  (Read 1437 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Ex-gamer says hello
« on: August 21, 2016, 09:07:10 AM »
Apologies I didn't realise there was an introductions board here, I have been here for a little while already. I am James from Rugby, England, and I live normally on the excellent Guild Wargamers site. I came here at someone's suggestion that it was easier to sell unwanted 28mm figs here (which is certainly true), but I have stayed as I enjoy the convivial joie de vivre  .
I am vodkafan almost everywhere over the internet.
I have not gamed or painted for about 6 years and much of my stuff was sold off. getting into it again in a small way. I am currently streamlining my leadpile even more so I can buy the figures I have always wanted, even though my eyes are now very bad and I have no confidence I will be able to paint them. Luckily I have always enjoyed big figures so I will give it a go.
My "thing" that has kept me going over the "empty years" has been to get hold of a diecast toy which reminds me of something vaguely military, convert it by changing wheels, paint job etc and convert a few figures to crew it up. Here is an example from  years ago, an old fire engine I converted to a makeshift BEF gun tractor:

As you can see my work is not of a high order but I just do what I enjoy...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 09:12:07 AM by vodkafan »
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Ex-gamer says hello
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 10:09:04 AM »
That IS nice! Brilliant idea, and nicely done too  8) 8) 8)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 10:11:35 AM »
Your work looks fine to me.
Might be handy for Home Guard games.

One thing I would suggest though - paint the cut edges of the base material. If they were "tarmac" coloured overall instead of just the top, it would look more "finished".
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 12:15:46 PM »
Thanks Vanvlak and Fastolfrus!  The point about the base is duly noted. I can't remember if I did any more to that base. I sold that particular model years back but I have picked up 2 more of those diecasts and intend to do 2 more,  1 British BEF again and the other German early war towing a 150mm Infantry gun. In both cases using chopped about Valient figures, of which i have a load.
Hey do you think it is worth opening a new thread in the Workbench part of the forum showing my conversions?

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 06:15:01 PM »
Greetings!  I like that conversion and would be happy to see others you have done.  Creative converting is always welcomed!   :D
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 02:08:26 AM »
Greetings!  I like that conversion and would be happy to see others you have done.  Creative converting is always welcomed!   :D

Thanks DoctorPete more pictures coming soon. My work rate is slow....