Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:26:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dragon Rampant warbands [more poleaxes and a dwarf smith, 19th March]  (Read 14533 times)

Offline Severian

• Scientist
Well, I was scrambling to get these finished so I could take them on holiday with us; it's taken a few days to find enough time and internet connection to post pictures. The pictures are taken on my phone; hoping to borrow my wife's shiny camera to take some better ones soon.
I started this small project after receiving the excellent Trudvang art book from the recent KS: my idea was to pit an assorted band of Scandinavian folklore-style trolls against a Kalevala-type wizard and some dwarves. Hardly very original, and I'm not sure the various troll types have got anywhere near the Paul Bonner/Alvaro Tapia aesthetic (in fact, I'm sure they haven't) but I'm pleased enough with their look and it's always nice to move some figures from the unpainted or half-painted category into the ranks of the finished. Now I just need to get them onto the table...
Anyway, first come the trolls and accomplices:

Giant (greater warbeast) 6pts
Ice troll (bellicose foot) 4pts
Troll shaman (heavy foot, wizardling) 6pts
Hill trolls x 3 (heavy foot, offensive) 6pts
Small trolls x 12 (light foot, offensive, mixed weapons, fleet footed) 7pts

And here are pics of the giant (from Fenris Games) and the ice troll (Reaper Bones):
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 11:15:41 PM by Severian »

Offline Severian

• Scientist
Re: Dragon Rampant warbands
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 02:57:21 PM »
And here are two of the three hill trolls (Reaper Bones and an old Grenadier sculpt now available from Forlorn Hope) and the troll shaman (Borderlands, base wasn't finished when I took the photograph):

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 03:04:35 PM »
Here's the last of the 3 hill trolls (Borderlands again, base unfinished) and the dozen small trolls (goblins from Alternative Armies eked out with Caesar 1:72 goblins - as I finish more of the former, I plan to demote the latter to Ravenous Horde speed-bump status).

As I say, I'll try to get some better pictures soon. And the wizard & dwarves should be up later today.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 03:22:20 PM »
Now for the wizard & dwarves:

Wizard (elite foot, spellcaster) 10pts
Wizard's bird allies/familiars (scouts, flying) 4pts
Dwarf lord (elite foot, trollslayer) 10pts
Dwarf thegns x 6 (elite foot) 6pts

First, a blurry picture of all of them together; then one of the wizard & his (small) wolf (both Reaper Bones):

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 03:45:33 PM »
Next, the dwarf lord (another of the sometime Grenadier sculpts from Forlorn Hope); then his thegns (two more Forlorn Hope, and four old Citadel dwarves, including Thorgrim Branedim. Some of these have been half-painted for decades...).

I'll probably vary the dwarves a bit as I finish painting others - I'd rather have Thorgrim as the lord, for pure nostalgia's sake, but the Grenadier guy's base was too large for a penny, so by default he couldn't be one of the thegns on the movement tray I had to hand.

Last, the flying scouts. One Reaper eagle (or something) and two ravens (one mostly hidden behind a tree) from Warbases on a 4" square terrain base also from Warbases. Not sure how practical this will be on the gaming table, but it was lots of fun to do. I'll try to get some more pics of it to show it more clearly. Both it and the square hill troll base have inset in one corner 10mm dice trays for casualty marking, concealed by mdf offcuts topped with tufts.

Offline Globlin

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 09:00:15 PM »
Nice mix of miniatures - particularly like the trolls!
Adventures? Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 11:16:32 PM »
These are great! The ice troll is especially good, and the mix of manufacturers works really well.

Offline Dr. Moebius

• Scientist
  • - per aspera ad astra -
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 08:38:33 PM »
Great choice of miniatures, bases and painting!

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 11:23:31 AM »
Thanks very much, guys.

Here are a few more pictures. Still on my phone, but in proper sunshine this time so maybe a bit clearer. Also they show the finished bases on the two Borderlands trolls.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
Re: Dragon Rampant warbands (now with more dwarves...)
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 08:53:16 PM »
Finished a few more dwarves to add to the slowly mustering forces. Ropey pictures from my phone again, but I hope they give some idea.

Two are old Citadel dwarves (the one with the horned helmet has been part-painted for at least thirty years...) and the third from Alternative Armies (he does have a loin cloth somewhere behind that axe).

More to follow soon I hope.

I've also started to mull over using them for HOTT, which I bought a couple of years ago but haven't yet played. This might turn into another exercise in elaborate sabotting strategies, but that (in my book) is no bad thing. They'll also probably get an outing for Warhammer 1st edition when they've a few more comrades...

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 08:59:43 PM »
Excellent collection.

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 09:28:43 PM »
Some classic figures there! Cool stuff.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 06:43:24 AM »
I love those trolls.

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 11:46:54 AM »
That stuff really says fantasy. I feel like playing a game if I see that setup.
westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm

Offline Severian

• Scientist
Re: Dragon Rampant warbands - more dwarves (21.09.16)
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 11:10:37 AM »
Here are a couple more dwarves - apologies for the more than usually bad photos. One is from the Citadel Fantasy Adventurers line - not perhaps the most successful sculpt, but he was in the painting queue; the other the Asgard dwarf scout. Thought it was about time he was finished - he was first undercoated in (I reckon) about 1985...
I have some Essex orcs nearing completion, so they may be next.