Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:44:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690524
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dragon Rampant warbands [more poleaxes and a dwarf smith, 19th March]  (Read 14636 times)

Offline Severian

• Scientist
Re: Dragon Rampant warbands [red goblins and others, 6th November]
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2017, 12:15:44 AM »
Here are some more goblins, red (and orange) ones this time, and a couple of dungeoneering types for them to pester. These are all Otherworld, and were finished a week or more ago, apart from the bases; but I've only now got round to photographs. There's also an old Citadel skeleton finished at the same time.

The goblins were mostly painted with washes and glazes over an ink-and-white-drybrush pre-shade; not sure how well they come out in the pictures, but I'm fairly happy with them.

My plan is to gather enough random old school monsters to spring a gentle RPG campaign on my children (and wife) over Christmas, but we'll see how far I get with that... at any rate, painting stuff is better than not painting it.

I've got a motley bunch of old and new lead and plastic in varying states of almost-done, so other things may follow soon.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Dragon Rampant warbands [red goblins, 6th November]
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2017, 05:44:49 AM »
Just come across this thread and it is quite superb, some great minis and such lovely painting. :)

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2017, 11:01:56 AM »
Thanks!

I'll try to get some more things finished in the next day or two (but you know how it goes...)

I finally built a couple of the Oathmark dwarves from the sprue I got at Salute in April - and the next day a whole box of them arrived.... :)

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2017, 11:12:11 AM »
These are terrific! In particular, I love the goblin with the horned helmet at the back, along with the guy in the front and the delighted-looking fellow (not delighted in a good way ...) on the right.

I also like the slightly concerned expressions on the human henchmen: "Hmm," they seem to be saying, "Not sure whether the pay for this job quite reflected the risks ...".

Great stuff!

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2017, 04:56:46 PM »
Thanks! I'll see if I can take some individual pics later. There's also another goblin (the iconic guy with the mace from the original Monster Manual) who's virtually finished; when I came to varnish him, though, I realised I'd missed a bit. So he ought to be appearing soon.

All these Otherworld guys have bags of character, but I think it's mostly the sculptor rather than my painting... But they're lots of fun to paint at any rate - and the adventurer/hireling types (I have a couple more almost done) are properly loaded down with all the random gubbins and paraphernalia that your everyday RPG character can't seem to travel without. A very nice range indeed.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
Re: Dragon Rampant warbands [more goblin pictures, 6th November]
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2017, 12:59:57 AM »
Here, after the usual unexpected delay, are some more goblin pictures: some of the last guys in individual shots, and their fugitive comrade (who needs basing, and seems to have developed an obvious mould line...)

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2017, 01:11:42 AM »
Here's another Otherworld adventuring type, with a goblin for scale; and a couple of forest dwellers - a Radagast type wizard, and one of the Nightfolk range I decided would be a sort of potentially benign woodland guardian in my putative RPG campaign...

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Dragon Rampant warbands [various additions, 12th November]
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2017, 12:08:07 PM »
Great work! The "Trampier" goblin has come out very nicely, and I love the one with the flail. Really nice work on the wizard too - the olive-brown hues have come out very well.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2017, 03:26:26 PM »
I just had a very pleasant stroll through your thread. Your cast of characters is WONDERFULLY painted & blessed with an abundance of character.
Each new piece seems to get better than the ones before. VERY WELL DONE, one & all!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 12:39:23 PM by DeafNala »
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2017, 03:45:54 PM »
love em all ...

goblins look great with the washes and skin tone variety.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2017, 04:05:05 PM »
Excellent work, sir! I especially like the Goblins - the mace and flail at the top of the list. I hope you get around to that Christmas game. Sounds like fun!

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2017, 04:35:25 PM »
Many thanks all for your kind words!

Well, I'm slowly gathering forces and ideas for my child-friendly RPG effort, although the usual distractions of real life and unrelated hobby ideas (English Civil War paper soldiers took up a couple of hours yesterday, don't ask me why) make it slower than it might be. But I'm not in a rush - Christmas school holidays are a few weeks off, and my children are used to me being a bit disorganised...

Anyway, there are lots more things on the painting table waiting to be finished. I'll try to wrap a few more up before long. Thanks again to all for the encouraging words.

Offline WimVdB

• Librarian
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2017, 05:16:09 PM »
Very good looking figures!

May I ask where the not-Radagast figure comes from?
The unending Battle against the Lead Mountain can be followed at
http://miniwargamers.blogspot.be/

Offline Severian

• Scientist

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2017, 10:33:46 AM »
Have you gone over your painting technique somewhere in this thread?

The colours here are super rich. You've either got very many thin layers, or you can work wonders with washes & inks.  :)