Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:06:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: CONGO questions  (Read 2789 times)

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
CONGO questions
« on: August 27, 2016, 10:50:01 AM »
So I haven't bought a new rule set in years but like many of you, the lure of CONGO proved too strong. I ordered from Foundry a week ago so now I'm impatiently waiting. Some questions for those who have played or at least read the rule book:

1. Can the game be played on a 3ft x 3ft surface?
I know, it says 3x4, but we play Legends of the Old West and Chaos in Carpathia on 3ft x 3ft surfaces and I would like to be able to continue on the same size surface.

2. How much jungle terrain does one need to make? I'm not talking aesthetics here, just in terms of playability.

3. Is there any appreciable difference in how the factions play? Or does it mostly come down to personal preference i.e. what looks cooler

Thanks - J
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 10:52:09 AM by jet »

Offline gorillacrab

• Librarian
  • Horse and Musket buff
Re: CONGO questions
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 07:31:58 PM »
Hi,
I was wondering the same thing and found an excellent description of needed terrain on another site (hope this is okay to transfer). This should answer your question:

The scenarios use between 4 to 8 "Large" area terrain pieces. "Large" is defined as: "not able to be contained within a square of 15cm by 15cm, and the two points of their circumference that are the farthest away [from each other] should not be separated by more than 30cm." Page 59 (the part in the brackets is my interpretation).

I think that means, small enough to fit inside a square foot, but too big to fit inside a 6" x 6" square (taking some liberties with metric to Imperial conversions).

Area terrain should be your typical flat, oval-ish shape, with movable trees, boulders, tall grass, etc, for visual effect.

"Small" area terrain occurs in only a single scenario (just one piece), and is defined as "must be fully enclosed within a square of 15cm by 15cm." Page 59.

The following items show up in one scenario each (not the same scenario!):

4 tents
3 huts
Large Tree
Large Stone.

The other thing you want lots of is "blocking terrain," which is dense bases of vegetation or rocks, of no defined size, but the examples in the book look like no more that 2" or 3" on a side. These block line of site, and cannot be entered by troops. The scenarios just say to scatter this stuff around, but don't state numbers or exact placement. (end of section).

Trust you will find this useful (and I hope copying from another site does not violate any forum rules)
- Walt

Prof Challenger, I presume?

Offline Ivan DBA

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 08:14:12 PM »
1. The scenarios assume a 6'x4' table.  3'x3' is probably a bit small, but it might work.  I think 4'

2. Agree with the description Gorillacrab posted, because I wrote it! Glad you thought it was "excellent."  :)

3. I haven't played yet, but just from reading the rules, it looks like the Cultures will all play somewhat differently, based on the special rules their respective characters have, and what troop types are available.   Still, I doubt the difference will be as dramatic as the differences between SAGA factions, for example.  Some basic types of units appear in more than one list, such as basic askaris with muskets, scouts, and young tribal warriors with spears. 

The lists are very flexible, other than limiting the availability of a very few units (European Soldiers and Baluchis are limited to one per Column/warband), you are free to build whatever you like within the points limit.  It is even possible to build an all-pygmy warband using the Forest Tribes list.

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 01:10:00 AM »
Thanks for all that guys. That sheds some light. Our plan is to make terrain first before buying figures. Although we might aspire to making terrain that reproduces the opening scenes of "Greystoke: Lord of the Apes," we want to make a realistic goal so that we can get playing.

As to table size, I was going by this quote from the CONGO section of the Foundry website "The 8 Adventures included with CONGO only require a small gaming surface (120cm x 90cm) and are usually around 20-30 miniatures a side."

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 11:18:25 AM »
As to table size, I was going by this quote from the CONGO section of the Foundry website "The 8 Adventures included with CONGO only require a small gaming surface (120cm x 90cm) and are usually around 20-30 miniatures a side."

I was a bit surprised when I got the rules that the adventures/scenarios assume a 6'x4' table...I only have a 4'x3' one. That said I think smaller tables will work fine...you will just need to reduce the number of dangerous terrain pieces in each of the scenarios and make sure you have plenty of small cover. It's also pretty easy to make up your own adventures, too...and, therefore, reduce the forces points-sizes and adapt the table and terrain accordingly.

Offline Hobbyone

• Bookworm
    • http://hobbyonenews.blogspot.fr/
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 12:18:31 PM »
Be careful, adventures have been tested to the defined size. if you have a big size difference, the adventures will be somewhat unbalanced or interesting. The problem is not the number of sets or the number of points. it's mostly there distance and time it takes to go on objectives. we would not want that you do not find pleasure just because you do not have good surface. ;)

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 01:13:23 PM »
I'm afraid it's a case of needs must for me...I only have a 4'x3' table so I either adapt the adventures, make up my own or don't play.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 01:18:10 PM by wulfgar22 »

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 06:56:40 PM »
Do most scenarios have each column deploying on opposite sides of the table? X inches in from the edge? For LOTOW and Chaos in Carpathia , we just started deploying figures right at the table edge instead of 6" in from the edge and found that there was no appreciable difference in game-play. As you mention, more terrain is required on a smaller surface, but when your table size is almost cut in half (going from a 4 ft table to a 3 ft table) your terrain collection suddenly goes a lot farther. In saying that, I do have a 4x3 surface which I'll try at first.

Offline Ivan DBA

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 07:10:00 PM »
Fred Machu has just clarified on the other thread that the correct table size is 120cm x 90cm, I.e., 4'x3'.  Apparently the references to 6'x4' in the rulebook are a translation error.

Offline Hobbyone

• Bookworm
    • http://hobbyonenews.blogspot.fr/
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 07:11:08 PM »
Yes, all is good  :D

Offline addlard.matthew

• Assistant
  • Annonoying
    • Art page
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 01:14:47 PM »
Game can be played on 3'x3' but bear in mind terrain needs to be a LoS blocking and small else it becomes somewhat tricky.

Offline Abbner Home

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 02:12:32 PM »
FYI, and I think this is posted in other threads as well, CONGO  calls for a 4'x3' table and the reference to 4'x6' was an error.

I've played maybe four games on 4x3 and it's the perfect size.

Also, it's a great game.

Offline addlard.matthew

• Assistant
  • Annonoying
    • Art page
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 02:57:04 PM »
Have to agree 4'x3' makes for a smoother better layout game, with more terriain pices and stuff like a village but can be played small er still works well.

Was at the #BoYL16 #Oldhammer event at Wargames Foundry and made a point of catching this game as it is very much in ones style of play with a small miniature count. and have to say It attracted a lot of interest and laughs.

Game play is smooth and quick, with you only needing one real game to get to grips with the rules, which is great for a game to encourage others. Picked up a copy after thumbing through and watching a game. Glad I did as it plays well.

Best description for the game is 'Very Indiana Jones in style and play rather than historical orientated.' which considering is a good thing as this subject can bog a game down.

https://goo.gl/photos/7WdQ43o6prLqoXap7Album

The fact Foundry offer free shipping on orders over £80 for world means that thise overseas could get all the figure and rule book for possibly less than buying local which makes this a very good deal from a game play and purchase.

Its a nice little game for clubs and small scale afternoon gaming. And with Foundries new moves towards a more public presence seems to be a good move on their part to join forces with other companies to produce new games.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 09:47:20 AM »
I am liking the small table size. I am about to start wargaming again after many years and the biggest set up I will be able to manage is 4 x 4 ft. Am thinking about buying Congo. Is it good for a two player game or better for 3 or 4 players?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline addlard.matthew

• Assistant
  • Annonoying
    • Art page
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 06:39:47 PM »
Works well with 2 player, however some scenarios can be played with upto 4 as each layer takes a unit.