Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:10:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SAGA Invasions: missing the most significant faction of the Great Migration  (Read 4288 times)

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
Re: SAGA Invasions: missing the most significant faction of the Great Migration
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 10:17:47 PM »
I meant proper, Russ are very  specific and very closed in time and place. They are really Northmen faction with subjugated Slavic elements.
Jomsvikings are dodgy topic (historians are debating if they even existed) and making similar pattern of Northmen colonisation.

Saga is lacking proper Slavic faction, either Southern (important enemy and ally of Byzantines for a long time), Wendic (Since Charlemagne to bloody wars with Danish in XI century at last) or Northern - Baltic Slavs were Vikings most important enemy (and there are archaeological evidence of their settlement on Bornholm not to mention destruction of last Viking capital Konunghaela - which itself is probably to late for Saga (1135-6) but still important interaction living for a long time in sagas of Snorri Strulson :)
One of those would be proper Slavic faction

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 05:02:31 PM »
What I like most about SAGA is that it is NOT an historical accurate set of rules. So many people simply use existing lists to represent other factions, e.g. we used the viking and Irish boards for Franks and Myceneans, the Anglo-Danish board for Late Romans etc. Others created new boards for Fantasy and Samurai armies. I participated in a Conan game where "Heroes" where represented as minor warlords. So you can complain about missing factions or sit down, let your creativity flow and share your Nibelungen SAGA, Slavic forces or what ever mythological  creature you like, with us!
Cheers
Jan

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 05:44:00 PM »
What I like most about SAGA is that it is NOT an historical accurate set of rules.

Exactly the point I was attempting to make. For a game based off of the Icelandic Family Sagas, The Edda, and Northern European heroic epic, however, I felt that they missed the opportunity to include the faction of the myths fundamental to those works and the peoples who recited them. Not just Germans, but also Icelandic vikings, Norse, Swedes, Danes, and even Anglo-Saxons (Waldhere and the English national epic Beowulf, for example). The Migration Period supplement was the perfect time to include them.

Nevertheless, My apologies if this post came off as a complaint. Rather, it was intended as an evidence-based argument for a Nibelung inclusion within the context of a blog-post.

Unfortunately, I'm not a game designer, so my skills with game balance are not up to par with a professional game designer. I will probably try to make my own board but quality is not assured. My research and creativity time is limited as I've got a whole other problem with Beowulf that I need to write up and turn into my advisor soon.  o_o
You go to war with the figures you have, not the figures you wish you had!

Offline ayak333

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 12:52:52 AM »
just use a preexisting board that plays the way the burgundians would, and rename the abilities. I use the Norse Gaels/Welsh/Irish for Baltic Pagans and Franks/Normans for the Teutonic Knights.  Eventually I'll try out the C&C crusaders and milites Christi for the Teutonic Knights and maybe the saracens for Lithuanians.

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 09:05:04 AM »
@ Humakt & ayak333

I will probably, eventually, create my own board and hero cards as Saga makes it easy to do and provides templates for home-brew boards.

What will take awhile, is that I should probably go back and re-read those Eddic, German, and Anglo-Saxon works which feature the Nibelungs and their heroes fighting with an eye to which specific heroic deeds they are doing and translate those into battle board abilities and hero cards.

However, that is unfortunately low on the priority list :(