Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:05:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689641
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Latest project: Reaper scifi, Bones CAV test paint and custom terrain  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Just off the workbench, a squad of Reaper's 28mm scifi infantry figs, along with a 10mm scale CAV model retasked as a combat robot.

The infantry are (I think) one of each of the current sculpts available from their "IMEF" Chronoscape range.  Decent if chunky sculpts, they remind me a bit of the old Warzone 1st edition figures.  They seem to have translated into Bones all right, although I've never painted the metals myself.

The CAV model is one of the recently-released Bones castings.  The plastic is a different color than the normal Bones material, much more gray than white, and feels a bit firmer to me.  Still flexes a bit under pressure on the thinner parts (the upper legs in this case) but it does have fairly crisp edges.

The model is cast in 6 parts IIRC, with both feet and the lower legs as part of an integral hex base that fits in a larger hex base.  I clipped tem off the remount the model on a 45mm lipped base, but players using CAV for Battletech (or the actual CAV rules) will probably want to leave it as-is.  I did a minor conversion to cover a small four-tube missile launcher on the torso as well.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the new CAV plastic cast.  They're remarkably cheap, easy to assemble and convert, and many of them lack detailing that ties them to any particular scale.  Anything that adds more inexpensive multi-scale combots to the world is a Good Thing, right?

Oh, and here's some quickie terrain to go with them.  Gotta have some objectives to fight over, and what's better than Martian resonance crystals?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 12:09:23 AM by Hobby Services »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Latest project: Reaper scifi figs, including a Bones CAV test paint
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 01:35:53 AM »
They look good to me.  Not my favourite sculpts, but I'm glad to hear they survived the Bones changeover.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 02:21:10 PM »
Nice work all around. I never thought of it before, but you're right, the IMEF guys do have an old school look.  They remind me alot of VOR Union troopers.   Good thing the line made it into Bones.  We can always use another set of well done cheap troopers.  The CAV looks good too.  I've got tons of unpainted mechs, but I may still pick up a couple of the Bones versions if they end up at my FLGS>

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 03:31:16 PM »
Thanks all. 

Eilif:  You're right about the Vor Union look there.  I wonder if Bobby Jackson did some/all of those sculpts as well?  He's credited on all the IMEF figs.  The CAV are a great bargain for mech fans at about $6 each, although I'm not sure how well they scale with Battletech or Heavy Gear or Mechadrome figs since I don't have any of them around to make a firsthand comparison.  Maybe someone else can provide some side-by-side photos for some or all of them?

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 04:25:34 PM »
I'm not sure how well they scale with Battletech or Heavy Gear or Mechadrome figs since I don't have any of them around to make a firsthand comparison.  Maybe someone else can provide some side-by-side photos for some or all of them?
I have a few of the metal CAV models.  They seem scale pretty well with both Battletech and my 10mm Mechwarrior clix figs depending on which CAV. Some of the CAV models were originally BT proxies by a company whose name escapes me ("Rogue Talon" maybe?). 

The biggest CAV's proabably scale out as medium mechs in 10mm Mechwarrior and the smallest CAVs probably scale out as medium or heavy mechs in 6mm Battletech.

There's some good comparisons here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=70559.msg859723#msg859723