Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:56:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Anvil Eight: Aetherium - House Ikaru  (Read 1982 times)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
(KICKSTARTER) Anvil Eight: Aetherium - House Ikaru
« on: February 14, 2016, 07:11:40 AM »
This has been running a while:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1648780792/aetherium-house-ikaru/

The renders and the few minis shown for this faction look nice enough and for once it doesn't matter what the exact scale is (it's 32mm officially) since they are all droids more or less. Not that the previous offerings from their 1st(?) are bad either but they are more inclined to be compared with other human models on board.

I don't really know anything about the game or the company really, other than PF has done some commission work for them (I do believe he did "the Agent" figure at least). Aetherium looks to be some kind of a science fantasy cyberspacey setting with Clarke's 3rd law firmly upheld. Anybody playing this -- or just own the rulebook?

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
Re: (KICKSTARTER) Anvil Eight: Aetherium - House Ikaru
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 09:10:49 AM »
No wonder that this Kickstarter not come into some moving. The campaign is not really smart presented! There are so much cool miniatures in that game but in so tiny pictures, no one can really notice them. I think about backing that KS. I really like the Robohounds and the female Katanabots a lot.

Offline precinctomega

• Librarian
  • Roll dice. Change the world.
    • Precinct Omega Publishing at Wargame Vault
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 09:18:45 AM »
Well they've reached funding and more.  I remember their original KS was quite successful and well publicized.  I'm guessing they are relying on their existing network of contacts from the first round to push this (pretty modest) effort through development.

R.

Offline Silverarm

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 10:39:17 AM »
Wall of text incoming [sorry about that]
I kickstarted this one, and really really like it. The rules are only found in the starter box [as far as I know].
Its basically a miniature skirmish game in a box, with unit boosters being sold separate but not needed [as all of the current units are included in the rulebook].
I am not that good with explaining, so I will do my best to present the game.
The game is primarily set in the Aether which is a virtual world where people escape reality to. Its kind like a Virtual Dual Earth kinda deal.

Each player controls a Collective which consist of a group of units called Programs. There are 3 types of Programs - Avatars, Functions [and Omnis] and Subroutines. Avatars are the main characters of your Collective, while Functions are solo characters that provide different strategies to the table. Subroutines are the grunts consisting of multiple models. Omnis are large characters that occupy more than 1 space and is a powerhouse.
A Collective consist of an Avatar, 2 Functions and Subroutines and you can't have duplicates of the same programs. While this would be restrictive, there is a lot of options for each type of Program.

There are currently 2 factions [with Ikari being the third] - Axiom which are basically religious police state and Nanomei which are anarchists.

The game is played on a grid base map. There are two parts to the map - the Quantum Noise and Schemas. Quantum Noise is a dangerous area that if a Program found themselves in, they will eventually die and the Schemas are map tiles that are the only safe place. What I really like is that you can move and adjust the Schemas to your advantage [for example, an enemy is on the other side of the Schema, across from your units, you can then shift the Schema so that they know is the closest side to your units].

You also have a Resource called RAM which you use to get additional actions for your programs and to shift the Schemas.

The game uses a activation deck similar to Dystopian Legion, and have an additional element called the Command Console, in which as your programs get deleted, they will activate damage cards that is randomly determined from a shared deck. The cool thing is that not all damage cards are bad, some are good [so it adds that element of 'should you kill a program you have so that the good effect comes into play'].

Hopefully this provide some general idea on the game[there is a lot more stuff that isn't covered].
If anyone has any question, don't hesitate to ask. This is a game I did not regret kickstarting.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 06:43:07 AM »

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 06:14:50 AM »
A backers only update from Anvil Eight says that they were so successful (saleswise, one assumes) at AdeptiCon that they've unlocked the Type-16 Omni (= a big mecha type thingy to the uninitiated like me) that remained just out of reach during the KS campaign itself.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 08:05:15 AM »
Well. This project progressed in timely fashion up until the point when they dropped the ball on rest-of-the-world posting & packing. So instead of quietly floating in from an EU-based sender my parcel seems to have been fired off from good ole U. S. of A and thus ended in the tender care of the local customs office. It's not too much of hassle of course these days as you can do the honors online and anyway I suppose a glitch of this particular sort was inevitable at some point -- but I wouldn't say this was EU Friendly as advertised. :-[

ETA - Anvil Eight has provided an explanation for what happened and also promised to reimburse the extra cost I incurred with store credit. Which is quite nice of them. Still, it would've saved them (and me) the hassle if they'd not been a bit too keen meeting the project deadline.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 05:40:51 AM by tnjrp »

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 06:55:49 AM »
Got my stuff out of the post office yesterday. Miniatures are very nice and cleanly cast and there's a load of printed matter there as well that looks good (although somewhat wasted on me as I was really in it for the minis only). Aside of the glitch with dispatch, I'm very happy to have pledged.