Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:21:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Nasty Request  (Read 3616 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Nasty Request
« on: February 06, 2009, 11:09:08 AM »
Now no one post any photos but links are OK (incase the dreaded symbol is shown)

I am looking for dress uniform types(on parade/at attention)  in 28mm as (WW1 or WW2 ) as an honour guard for the evil dictator in my 3rd ECW games, I want this for an assasination attmept scenario.

I know they will be hard to come by as they are likely to be distasteful so any alternatives of chaps in uniform I can convert etc

many thanks Karl (beating around the bush as much as possible so as not to offend)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 11:56:09 PM by Helen Bachaus »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Nasty Request
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
From what I recall, the Wachbataillone (Honour Guard Battalions) where drawn from the Grossdeutschland Wehrmacht division (although it was more of a parade ground formation to start with) and the Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler. You could start a search using that as a base.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 12:18:43 PM »
Thanks Chris I have tried that thread, I want them really for Oswald Mosleys guard not desparate I was inspired by a book read called the Leader where Edward marry Wallis Simpson.

The plot revolves around a Conservative MP and his attempt to overthrow Mosley culminating in assasination attempt at the coronation ;D

Wont give any more of the plot away :)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 02:12:49 PM »
Errr, sorry, I missed that 3rd ECW part. "Evil Dictator" alwayz rrringz a verrry special bell vith uz Dschörmans, ja? lol

Seriously, though, what about having a "Really, Really Black Black Watch" as guards? Now THAT would be something different! Apart from that, maybe Grenadier Guards in Black? Or those guys with the busbys? I mean, their caps are already black, and the trousers come close... *ducks from the expected rage of the uniform purists offended by my possible mixup*

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 02:17:54 PM »
Pulp miniatures do She Wolves in full dress.  :D

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 02:34:31 PM »
If Edward were on the throne, one would think the trappings of state would be maintained, so I imagine the Guards would continue to wear their uniforms, to keep continuity with the past and legitimacy of the regime.

Mosely's personal guard however is a different matter. They could be as fascist-looking as you like. All in black, and immaculately turned out. The Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler in their best togs wore a black uniform not unlike the army uniform in cut, with a white shirt and tie and a helmet. They also wore white gloves, making them look like a unit of Nazi snooker referees. Sword for the officers.

So you could use normal Tommies without too much kit, but in a sinister black uniform. Or perhaps for a real fascist look headswap some Tommy hats on to WWII Germans and paint them black.

Maybe early war Tommies would have a suitable look, if you painted their uniforms black? Just pondering aloud, haven't any concrete ideas.

Have you looked at any Spanish Civil War ranges? There might be something there that takes your fancy.

Those are from Anglian Miniatures.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Bungle

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 02:37:48 PM »
From the photos of the period

I would suggest a dress uniform of:

Black shirt and tie, or what looks like a black polo neck jumper except it buttons up along one shoulder and at the collar (or just polo neck for women)

Black single breasted jacket with buttons in groups of 3, cut like WW1 British uniform. (for men)

Black leather belt  with big square buckle (both)

BUF Armband or just the circle with lightning flash sewn on the arm

dark trousers but not black, I suspect dark khaki, as the women wear khaki skirts.

hats, men black peaked cap, women black beret

footwear.... I suspect jackboots for men for dress uniform.

I will dig out some photos and put them in the yahoo group photos folder.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 03:04:49 PM »
Thanks Guy, Yes it is BUF I am after but in "guard/attention" pose. I have a few Anglian minis on order to convert with Woodbine heads to be more British

Those chaps in Plus fours look good though and would be ideal

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 03:10:29 PM »
The guard pose thing is the killer. Most figures out there are in action poses.

Offline Big Martin

• Scientist
  • Wargamer, Re-enactor & Failed Historian
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 04:26:05 PM »
Musketeer do some nice BUF infantry now - but in action poses.
Looks like you'll have to a bit of a conversion job.
Tutenes, Atque Cujus Exercitus?

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 10:15:55 PM »
a humble suggestion:
Musketeer minis has released the BUF characters:
One officer with raised hand (not quite a formal salute but close) plus the first character in the photo point his rifle/s-gun, one foot in front the other a little in the back.

Why don't you use these as the guard you want. They are both in a dramatic pose and you know the guard is ready for everything, [notice that not all the armies of the world present their arms in the same way and also they do not march/marched the same way. remember that soviet soldiers in their parades didn't march the usual way, they had an advancing pose with rifles pointed forward]

For the rest I agree with Plynkes. The regular army and guards should continue to wear the same uniforms for continuity reasons [anyhow it should have been quite an expense to change the whole army uniform within such a small time].
If I remember well the black uniform of the ss was only for a small force within the party structure. It was not an army  [Wehrmacht] unit. The waffen ss maybe but that was towards to the end of the war.

The same case we had in Greece. On 04.08.1936 a fascist dictatorship proclaimed. The king helped them, also. The army, navy, airforce, police and gendarmerie as well as they royal guard (evzones) retained their uniforms.

The regime only made a youth organisation (EON national youth organisation - which also incorporated and lots of adults but generally was not armed). They had a special uniform dark blue shirt and pants (skirts for the girls), white tie, white gaiters (I think girls had white socks) and side cap of the same colour and white piping. Blue and white = our national colours.

argsilverson

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 10:17:32 PM »
The guard pose thing is the killer. Most figures out there are in action poses.
Yep this has been the problem short of Brtiains you dont see them around.

Thanks Silent I will check them out, perhaps as Poly says some of the Anglian in more action poses would be better and I would in all honesty get more use of them.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 10:25:48 PM »
http://shop.warlordgames.co.uk/german-army-military-police-1110-p.asp

BAM german field police - the figure on the left might do - just swop the head, and the rifle (which as its a BAM figure won't be difficult).

GWM Command pack - B9 - has a sentry - obviously depends if you want someone in puttees or jackboots (most of Bills BUF guys are in puttees).  Could give him a headswap.

The same pack also has IMHO a usable officer (second from the left), anda third figure, standing at attention, and saluting.

http://www.northstarfigures.com/shop/greatwarminiatures/britishforces19171918/index.html
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 10:40:54 PM by AKULA »

Offline paul c

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 10:38:47 AM »

Fascism was very modernist in style, emphasing speed, flight, the new etc; think Italian futurists. So maybe Mosley's body guard would wear black uniforms styled on motor-cyclists or pilots; black leather jackets, black riding breeches, motor-bike helmets, goggles, smgs rather than rifles. Just an idle  thought..
"For we went, changing our country more often than our shoes.
In the class war, despairing
When there was only injustice and no resistance." B. Brecht