Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:40:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686645
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sir Dryden's 28mm Star Wars Thread  (Read 12601 times)

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
Sir Dryden's 28mm Star Wars Thread
« on: October 02, 2016, 12:18:28 AM »
Hi to all,

As advertised earlier in my X-Wing thread, I have another Star Wars related project going on. As it says in the title, it's a 28mm project. I'm assembling platoon-sized forces of different factions to fight small battles on a 4'x4' surface with the occasional Necromunda-style skirmish game . I'll probably be using the old WEG Star Wars Miniatures Battles rules because they can easily be adapted for both types of game. I'm mostly using old WOTC bendy figures (with a few Imperial Assault models to break the monotony) and most if not all of my scenery will be scratchbuilt. The project is still in its early stages, with much to add to it in the future, so if you like what you see, there's plenty more to come.

I'll start with the minis. Here's the start of my Rebel Naval Trooper platoon.

All WOTC bendy figs. As you can see, I'm not the best painter around here, but they look fine from 3' away... I've used a Sullustan Scout as an officer. I like how he fits with the rest of the squad. The 3 identical figures at the back will probably be replaced in the future. They are way too big compared to the rest of the troopers. I kept the bases really simple. I might add a few details to them, but not too much. Also, since the WEG rules use facing, I've painted the frontal arc in blue to eliminate potential disputes in future games...

Next, Imperial Forces.

They look better in real life than on these pictures, but as I said, I'm not the best painter around here. One thing's for sure, they look better than their pre-painted former selves. This platoon is almost complete. I modified the two Scout Troopers to try to get them out of the stupid pose they were stuck in. Again, not the best job, but a definite improvement.

The (very small) start of my Fringe faction.

I might have to redo the paint on this one. I was trying to give him a paint scheme reminescent of my Mobquet Medium Cargo Hauler. Mission accomplished, the colors are spot on. The only thing I hadn't forseen is that it would make him look like he was wearing a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle costume as a flight suit...

Some Fauna.

I like this little guy. He's from Reaper. He might be a bit too "Mythos" looking for Star Wars, but since he'll probably end up being more of a counter than anything else, he'll do.

On to the scenery. Here's my only painted piece (for the moment)

Some kind of communication antenna. Built out of a bunch of odds and ends. I'm not that happy with the paint job, but it'll do. Hopefully, it'll be less visible amongst the rest of my "smuggler's outpost" terrain. Speaking of which, here's the rest of what I have built so far. They're at various degrees of completion.

More antennae, lots of crates, curved walls that form a 24'' wide circular landing pad when assembled. Here's a few shots with minis so that you'll get a sense of scale.

All of these crates probably need to be moved around. What better way to do that than by using a truck. So I started building one. Here's a few pics.

The Speeder Truck isn't finished yet, but you get the idea.

Finally, I needed a major villain for my campaign, a worthy adversary for Alliance and Empire alike...

Just kidding. Comments are welcome, more to come later!

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
Re: Sir Dryden's 28mm Star Wars Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 06:56:02 AM »

Look at the size of that thing!

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 09:00:05 AM »
So I started building one

The speeder looks really good.  What's your building technique?

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 09:04:29 AM »
Splendid thread  8) 8) 8)

Can't get enough Star Wars  :D

Looking forward to seeing what you have in store.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Vindice

• Scientist
    • And Then Dice Happened
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 11:32:20 AM »
If that speeder is scratch built out of plasticard as it appears, I am seriously impressed!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 11:55:52 AM »
WOW love the speeder truck :-* :-* :-*

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 03:03:30 PM »
Gah!  It's the Death Gonk!!!!
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Re-enactor, modeller, stooge
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 03:28:43 PM »
Ah, my waiting has paid off.  :o  ;)

Loving that speeder and the occasional scenery.  :D
"Old gamers don't die, they just smell like that."

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 03:55:11 PM »
Lovely work, sir.
 8) 8)

And that speeder.....
 :-* :-* :-*

...and the Gonk!
 lol lol

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 05:45:20 PM »
splendid stuff, great work on the speeder. Is the battlewarmechGonk scratch built too?

I've just spent the weekend painting a platoon of WEG Stormtroopers, there is a wonderful Star Wars vibe at the moment...

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 07:19:24 PM »
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

The Speeder Truck is entirely scratchbuilt out of plasticard except for some detailing on the engines. As far as technique goes, I wouldn't know how to describe it. I can tell you that the curved sections at the front were built a bit like airplane wings, with curved struts covered with "panels". I tend to layer the details on with increasingly thinner plasticard cut to shape. Also, I tend to draw a lot of sketches before starting to build. It helps to figure out what goes where and how it'll all fit. The Speeder Truck is about 75% finished. The front section is bare-boned and still needs a lot of detailing. It also needs a weapon option, a pintle-mounted blaster or something. I'm thinking of using magnets so that it can be removed or added as needed. It could also use a pilot.

The Gonk is also entirely scratchbuilt. As you've probably guessed, it's not meant to be used in the game. It's scaled at 1/18 and was built for fun. I used the design sketches from the Rebels TV show to build it. By the way, if you haven't discovered that Star Wars treasure trove yet, run over to starwars.com and check out the episode guides for both the Clone Wars and Rebels. Tons of inspiration and cool designs.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments. I'll be sure to post pics of my progress.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 07:27:02 PM »
Crates and the lifter need casting immediately sir!!!!  :D
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 07:55:26 PM »
Believe me, Commander, I would have LOVED to be able to cast those crates. They're basically little 15mm wooden cubes I got from the dollar store, 48 for a buck, if I remember right. Each of them was then covered with 31 little pieces of styrene. There's like 2 square feet of styrene cut to bare millimeters on them! My wrist still hurts!

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 08:01:25 PM »
Believe me, Commander, I would have LOVED to be able to cast those crates. They're basically little 15mm wooden cubes I got from the dollar store, 48 for a buck, if I remember right. Each of them was then covered with 31 little pieces of styrene. There's like 2 square feet of styrene cut to bare millimeters on them! My wrist still hurts!

Easy resin cast job tbh. Do it!! ;)

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 08:21:25 PM »
Amazing stuff!
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV