Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:12:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686585
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sir Dryden's 28mm Star Wars Thread  (Read 12595 times)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
Re: Sir Dryden's 28mm Star Wars Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2018, 09:53:13 AM »
Most impressive!  :o

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2018, 01:23:36 PM »
Amazing work.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2018, 08:27:11 PM »
I, for one, really enjoy WIP pictures and seeing the process behind people's work. So, please do keep posting them.

Love the new stuff.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2018, 01:02:08 AM »
Thank you for the work in progress photos. Those are quite inspiring. Are the rounded things at the back control fins?

I have to ask, what tools do you use working with styrene? I've only recently discovered there are more tools then just X-acto blades, pencils and metal rulers.

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2018, 06:30:04 AM »
Thanks again for the positive comments. This post is going to be a bit more "technical" since there seems to be interest in the techniques I use. I took advantage of my brand new tablet to snap step-by-step pics of my latest progress, so I'll be able to describe in more detail how I build teeny-tiny spaceships and such... Here we go.

With important or fiddly bits, I'll generally start with a mock-up. I use 14pts card and sticky tape to build these. It's faster and cheaper than a full build. I find it quite helpful with establishing sizes and placement. In this case, I'm making the engine nacelles.

I then measure and draw the pieces I'll need. In this case, the main body of the nacelles requires 4 different pieces for the basic "box". I used 0.50mm styrene.

You'll notice there's a complete one one the bottom of the last pic. I forgot to take a pic with the little 1mm x 1mm square styrene lengths that I use as supports, so I cheated a bit and used some of the extra pieces I always make (experience speaking here... :)). I then take out the glue and start assembling.

Okay, first step's finished. I'll split this technical interlude between different posts, so step two'll be coming in a few minutes.

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2018, 06:53:20 AM »
Okay, next steps.

The engines need air intakes. Not because I know how they work, just because it looks cooler. To achieve the look I want, I use Evergreen textured styrene sheets (.050'' Clapboard, to be exact). I measured the "hole" in front of the boxes again and chopped up little bits of the clapboard styrene.

Next, I made little strips of 0.25mm to close the curved "hole in the back of the nacelles. I made them slightly longer than the space they had to cover. The extra length gives me grip to be able to pull the styrene tightly over the hole when gluing. Here's the assembly in detail:

1. Glue clapboard and part of the strip that doesn't cover the hole.

2. When it's all dry, pull firmly on the strip and glue it in place over the hole.

3. Cut and sand the excess plasticard. With a little patience, you end up with a really nice, clean shape.

Here you go, second step's over. In this case, though, I needed to repeat ( I usually do...)

Final steps in the next post.

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2018, 07:19:50 AM »
Okay, let's finish this.

The engine nacelles are almost done, they just need to be attached to the main body. I'll need to build struts. Here's what I came up with:

Impressive, uh? It's basically a 3mm x 3mm strip of styrene, with an angle cut at one end. I added a 3mm half-round at the opposite end and a piece of 0.5mm styrene topped with a short section of 1.5mm half-round. Nothing too fancy since I need to make 12 of them. Once again, I cheated a bit and montaged the last step.

Here's what it looks like once in place. They look all crooked on the pics because I used bluetac to keep them in place for the pics. I'm still waiting a bit before gluing them in place.

I hope that was helpful or interesting. I'll post more "regular" updates in the future because I'm already a slow builder and this takes even longer.

Oh, almost forgot. Michka, here's the tool I use. It's pretty much the same as you use yourself.

BLADES: small blade, medium blade, compass cutter, big blade, way-too-big scribing blade.

Files and glue.

MEASURING ruler, CUTTING ruler (experience again!), mechanical pencil and eraser.

I'll post some more soon.

Sir Dryden
the Bob Ross of Plasticard (I even did the tools!)

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2018, 08:10:17 AM »
Very well done. :-* :-*~
Following with great interest.

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2018, 10:39:35 AM »
Great tutorial. Those are going to be nifty little skycars :-*

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2018, 11:46:42 AM »
Sir, the construction skills are off the chart. My first reaction was amazed you built 6 landing craft, but once you've taken all the time to create a mockup it makes sense to just knock out a few in a production line.

Great looking setup, ill watch with interest.  8)

Cheers
Matt

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2018, 06:50:38 PM »
Thank you for the tutorial. I love your process. I do use most of those tools too, but it never occurred to me to label my rulers cutting vs. measuring. And I just found the delights of Tamiya Extra Thin glue. It's now my favorite thing.

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2018, 08:25:02 PM »
Great thread, must admire your patience and precision.  Looking forward to seeing future developments :)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2018, 07:27:22 AM »
thanks for the tutorial
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2018, 10:38:08 PM »
Update time. I managed to work on my speeders a bit this week, but yesterday's big snowfall cut my building time. It's been more shovel than craft knife for the past day or so. Still, here's where I'm at right now.

The backseats for the civilian and command versions are complete.

I've also worked on the armed recon versions. I added details to the hardware behind the front seats and I built the blasters. I haven't glued the weapons in place, they're just bluetacked in place on the last pics.

More to come soon!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2018, 10:42:23 PM »
nice job :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
I did presume that the blasters would go just behind the front seat so that someone in the back could fire it?