Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:55:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690464
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Callum, Aiden and Grandad's Zombie Apocalypse - Army and girls added 9 December  (Read 3825 times)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
It is all my brother's fault!  We visited him and he had bought Project Z so we all played a game and the boys liked it.  So "we" bought it and Grandad found he had the old Wargames factory male and female survivors and a lot of metal figures for his other games that could be used.

The boys decided to help paint the figures - Callum is now 9 and Aiden 6 and both have been making kits and painting them since they were 5.  Callum has painted 28mm Lord of the Rings and Hobbit figures.  So we used the same simple method - spray white undercoat, block in the main colours, add a few details (grandad helps) and then wash over with a colour that brings out the shadows.  A brown/green mix for zombies and a red/brown mix for most survivors.  Once they are dry a quick dry brush and a fine pen adds a few details and then base and varnish.  

First up some Zombies - we used them  mainly for practice as a ropey paint job does not look so bad on them ;)

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 11:33:36 AM by dadlamassu »
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline tomogui

• Scientist
  • Treading softly.
Re: Callum, Aiden and Grandad's Zombie Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 01:18:46 PM »
Looks great. What a fun, gory project for the kids!

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 08:04:07 PM »
Awesome fun :)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 07:58:14 PM »
Good work on the zombies - nice and gory!

If you do some more, try mixing a tiny bit of black or brown into tamiya clear red - it makes lovely blood (but use an old brush)  :)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 10:10:27 PM »
Good work on the zombies - nice and gory!

If you do some more, try mixing a tiny bit of black or brown into tamiya clear red - it makes lovely blood (but use an old brush)  :)

Thanks, there will, no doubt be more blood soaked zombies and casualties to make - the kids like the gore! 

Online Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 12:48:21 AM »
Great stuff! It's really quite wonderful to see a family come together to paint and game.

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 05:23:54 PM »
I've been looking in to Project Z and found the free rules, but it keeps talking about character cards but I'm not able to find anything on these?

Are they preset cards? Do you custom make the characters? Are you stuck with the characters they make?

Any advice?
Looking for a set of rules that adaptable for different genres.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 11:23:20 PM »
I've been looking in to Project Z and found the free rules, but it keeps talking about character cards but I'm not able to find anything on these?

Are they preset cards? Do you custom make the characters? Are you stuck with the characters they make?

Any advice?

We have been playing the basic game and were confused by the reference too as there were no obvious character cards in the box.  There were cards with "3 survivors" and the basic stats on one side and "traits on the other.  Then we got the expansion sets and there they were.  They are generic - the cards are things like "the kid", "the preacher" etc.  Again basic stats only.  The weapons are on the quick reference sheet.  So far we have not played special characters but it should be easy enough to create your own team character cards - recommend starting with 4 or 5 survivors a side and playing through the scenarios.  The game box is reasonable value for money as it has 23 zombies, 10 male survivors and a small biker gang with 2 bikes and figures as well as the cards etc.  I'd recommend doubling (at least) the zombies. 

What is good is that you can use any figures you like once you have the basic cards.  The expansions add characters and special rules.  From these you can make up your own cards.  Played a game last night 2 teams of 4 survivors and lots of zombies.  Not the the usual shoot and hack game - tactics and co-operation needed to collect all the "loot" and escape.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
Re: Callum, Aiden and Grandad's Zombie Apocalypse - Survivors added
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 06:18:47 PM »
Our first attempt at Project Z plastic survivors

Ladies first

And the Gents

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 06:40:48 PM »
We have been playing the basic game and were confused by the reference too as there were no obvious character cards in the box.  There were cards with "3 survivors" and the basic stats on one side and "traits on the other.  Then we got the expansion sets and there they were.  They are generic - the cards are things like "the kid", "the preacher" etc.  Again basic stats only.  The weapons are on the quick reference sheet.  So far we have not played special characters but it should be easy enough to create your own team character cards - recommend starting with 4 or 5 survivors a side and playing through the scenarios.  The game box is reasonable value for money as it has 23 zombies, 10 male survivors and a small biker gang with 2 bikes and figures as well as the cards etc.  I'd recommend doubling (at least) the zombies. 

What is good is that you can use any figures you like once you have the basic cards.  The expansions add characters and special rules.  From these you can make up your own cards.  Played a game last night 2 teams of 4 survivors and lots of zombies.  Not the the usual shoot and hack game - tactics and co-operation needed to collect all the "loot" and escape.

How do the figured from this scale with Zombicide? If they scale well, then I have just a few zombies available. ;)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 08:32:27 PM »
How do the figured from this scale with Zombicide? If they scale well, then I have just a few zombies available. ;)

Sorry I don't have Zombiecide so cannot help.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
Re: Callum, Aiden and Grandad's Zombie Apocalypse - survivors added
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 10:12:07 AM »
I have some of the same zombies that are pictured, and I have some of the Zombicide zombies. They mix in pretty well.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Zombie Ste

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 08:15:05 PM »
I have some of the same zombies that are pictured, and I have some of the Zombicide zombies. They mix in pretty well.

I'll second this,  they go great together.  I'm even going to start mixing in the zombicide survivors & zombivivors for some extra variety.
I recently picked up season 2, prison outbreak and was pleasantly surprised by the sculpt quality of these single piece minis. I highly recommend the toxic city mall or toxic crowd sets.

Awesome that you've got the grandchildren painting and gaming with you.  This has inspired me to start painting lessons with my own 6 year old son and we're enjoying the bonding and learning experience, so thank you for that and keep up the good work :)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 08:26:58 PM »
Awesome that you've got the grandchildren painting and gaming with you.  This has inspired me to start painting lessons with my own 6 year old son and we're enjoying the bonding and learning experience, so thank you for that and keep up the good work :)

I started with Callum when he was 5 http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=44947.0

Offline Sbloom141

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 12:12:26 AM »
Really heartwarming to see a family project like this; and great painting considering the ages! I started painting Ultramarines aged 11 and they looked like melted crayons in comparison!