Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:28:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Arget8's Game of Thrones: The Rains of Castamere (Lannister) Update on page 4!  (Read 9702 times)

Offline arget8

• Scientist
Re: Inviting you to a wedding (GOT Freys)
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 08:40:40 PM »
That's what I've been seeing.

As to your vicious slander of the honorable Frey house, you better watch your back or we'll sic the kingslayer on you.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2017, 03:05:58 AM »
Question for you all. What are your thoughts on having heraldry on every spearman's shields? I'm torn on it. I will definitely have the colors, but I was thinking I could maybe avoid the work if there is any sort of support for the simplification of the shields.

Thoughts?

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2017, 08:50:22 AM »
In my experience, using later medieval period figures to wargame GOT actually presents problems showing enough heraldry, since plate armour largely supplanted the need for shields. Martin appears to have adopted a Hollywood-eval view of armour. On the one hand he references 'half-helms' rather than full great helms, shields and mail, which is analogous to a historical period from around 1100 to 1300. On the other he speaks of plate armour, 'lobstered' gauntlets, jacks etc. which is later... Hence the use of mash-ups of figures from the Dark Ages right through to the WOTR.
It depends how you want to go...
If like Charlie you use largely generic troops and signify their allegiance of the moment with a few well placed leaders and standard bearers, then the need for shields and certain devices is less.
If on the other hand you opt for fielding contingents of household troops, or those with strong affiliations to one faction or another the heraldry will be more important, as will the need for shields. Sellswords will likely have their own quirky designs or hand-me-downs, while arrow fodder are likely to have plain painted 'munition' quality. The mountain clans were furnished with Lannister arms before the Battle of the Green Fork, which probably had a red field colour at the very least, or the full Lannister lion etc.
I've opted for the factional look, but if you look at my House Rosby contingent drawn from HYW ranges, I only have 3 shields to worry about out of a (now) 12 strong unit; Captain or MAA and 2 spearmen.

The rest are signified by badges or livery coats. Badges are harder the more complicated the device since you are in effect dealing with patch not much larger than 5mm, unless you opt for a livery coat which leaves the whole chest as a potential canvas. I try to have a mixture. I will also mix Houses to create specific archer, MAA or pike/bill units which gives a polyglot look, like this Riverlands bunch of Mallister, Piper and Bracken archers...

My feeling is if you have opportunity to field troops with shields make 'em as many and varied as you can. I agree the troops will mostly daub their own, while household troops are more likely to have access to stock of mass produced kit. As the good Cap'n says, the more you do the better you'll get. I applaud you're efforts so far. :D As you get better you can always go back and revisit your earlier attempts like I've done until you are happier with the results. 'Distressing' the shields is also a good technique. A good splat of mud and blood covers a multitude of sins!
Keep calm and carry on and above all enjoy the process! ;D

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:09:45 PM by sukhe_bator »
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2017, 02:54:20 PM »
I was thinking things like stripes, slashes, halving and quartering.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2017, 03:05:49 PM »
I use parti hose and tunic colours as well to good effect. Also some armour such as helmets lends itself to being painted and can be very effective. There was a tradition of covering white armour with coloured felt in Europe that could be sued. My plate armoured Lefford captain has a gold plackart and the remainder of his plate armour is blued to echo the Lefford golden 'mountain' sigil. Martin makes mention to colours and ornament in armour with devices matching the House sigils.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2017, 07:44:30 PM »
Yeah, definitely going to get creative with the armor on my next 12 spearmen. I have them mostly painted, but thanks for reminding me to do the painted armor. I'll try out mixing it up and get everyone's thoughts. I feel lazy doing it, but I also think it could make for some interesting visuals.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2017, 08:35:27 AM »
As well as out and out paint, there were some interested tints for armour produced by heat treating the metal, often with contrasting etched decorative borders - russet and blueing
http://www.codesmiths.com/shed/armour/helm/greathelm_brown.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/98/43/8a/98438a60d2b24e7f983d6472351a2059.jpg
and the old favourite blackened armour - using oil and lampblack (soot)
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1004/870819928_474144b5e6.jpg
even velvet coverings for the flashier gits. I doubt however that this would stand up to the rigours of campaigning!
http://www.cullodenantiques.com/images/an_important_italian_burgonet.jpg

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2017, 12:12:57 PM »
I'm definitely going to get creative with the mounted knights with the bluing and browning. When I eventually get around to doing the Reach, their knights are going to have all sorts of fancy stuff, as befitting their wealth and class.  lol

Should potentially have something to show either today or tomorrow, so stay tuned!

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2017, 07:51:53 PM »
Here are the first three spearmen from the next unit of sworn houses. They have a different set of shields, which is what I'm looking for thoughts on. I'm willing to paint them up as heraldric shields if you guys don't think they work, but I think I like them.

Here we go:

Photo quality is crap, but you get the idea, right?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 07:14:41 PM by arget8 »

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2017, 08:41:35 AM »
They look good and while not overtly heraldic, they convey a good sense of factional affiliation...

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2017, 09:43:36 PM »
And here are the last of the sworn house spearmen.

Just 6 more Frey spearmen and then the knights. I still have to flock all the bases, but I'll do them all at one time because it's just tedious.

Let me know what you think of the shields!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 07:14:55 PM by arget8 »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2017, 09:48:30 PM »
Should make a really nice effectful army when it all comes together! I was umming and ahing about using those heater style shields or pavises for some Lannister spearmen I've got on my bench, but I think you've convinced me that the heater style works really well for the GoT look.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2017, 08:43:03 AM »
I'm a late convert to the Fireforge minis, but I agree their longer kite shields work well as pavises or deep shields for infantry, particularly the lighter equipped troops with aketons in the Perry HYW ranges. Having an additional sized 'canvas' for GOT sigils is an added bonus.
I save my normal sized heater shields for my armoured men at arms for close-up wet-work.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2017, 12:05:15 PM »
Same here on the shields. I wasn't sure how they would look, but Captain Blood kinda blazed that trail for me, so I didn't have to wait too long. I'm also planning on saving the heater shields for only the knights/men at arms. With all the armor they wear, and if on horseback, a heater shield would be overkill/a liability.

On another note, I put all of the sworn house spearmen in one unit and I think they look pretty good all lined up together. I'll post a picture either today or tomorrow along with maybe the last of the Frey spears if I can find the time to finish them.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2017, 12:47:55 AM »
So here are the last of the Frey Spearmen and an army shot so far. Also, below that is a couple in progress pics of my Frey mounted knights.

The spearmen are all using heraldric patterns with Frey colors.

Here is the army shot so far. First are the sworn house spearmen and then then crossbowmen, then we have the Frey house sergeants and the foot men at arms.

And last, but not least, here are the first two mounted knights. They still need their shields, but I will be doing them all at once, so they may be about a week before I get to them. I'm quite pleased with how they turned out, especially since they are my first ever horses.

Next up will be more knights. After that we'll be starting on some Boltons and wherever else my ADD takes me!

Let me know what you think, thanks!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 07:16:08 PM by arget8 »