Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:07:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My "Anglo-Saxon Chronicle" Cavalry  (Read 23313 times)

Offline Landsknecht

• Librarian
  • CaptAIN CAAAAAAveman!
    • Landsknecht1525 Youtube Channel
Re: My "Anglo-Saxon Chronicle" - UPDATED 26th MAY 2017 - More Warriors
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2017, 07:56:39 PM »
These are great!  You did a fantastic job.

Offline Jacksarge

• Scientist
    • Jacksarge Painting
Dark Age civilians from Blacktree Designs & Gripping Beast. The clay bread oven is based on living history examples, & is made of green-stuff - easy to do. GB casualty figure, plus couple of their hunting dogs.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Great painting. How do you get your clothing colours to be "washed out/faded" like that? It is a great colour scheme but one I can never manage as my figures always turn out too bright for how I like them.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Jacksarge

• Scientist
    • Jacksarge Painting
Great painting. How do you get your clothing colours to be "washed out/faded" like that? It is a great colour scheme but one I can never manage as my figures always turn out too bright for how I like them.

I try and use colours that are not too bright to start with, and often fade them out with a neutral colour like Vallejo Deck Tan or a light flesh tone - pure white is way too bright for this purpose. I also paint over a neutral undercoat of grey. The paints that I found work best for me for the Dark Age stuff are Vallejo Model Colour range & Reaper Paints - some other brands of paint are just too intense for the purpose. Some of the best Dark Age palette colours can be found in the WW2 paints that Vallejo produces. I hope that helps, and of course it is just one person's way of doing things :-)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
They look great!

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
Excellent. In my opinion, you've got the palette exactly right - mainly dull. faded colours.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Excellent. In my opinion, you've got the palette exactly right - mainly dull. faded colours.

Agreed.
Allied to an excellent example of brushwork.
 :-* :-*

Nice oven too.
Good idea.
 8) 8)

Offline Utgaard

• Scientist
Simply great looking  :-*

Offline Jacksarge

• Scientist
    • Jacksarge Painting
I really like the sculpts by Colin Patten from Saxon Miniatures, they are great fun to paint - Colin knows his stuff. The shield in the centre - large stylised horse's head - is freehand, & based on a Rohan shield design I had seen in the MMORPG Lord of the Rings Online. Might have to paint some more like that :-)

Here's a couple more warriors, this time from Black Tree Design. The Sutton Hoo helmeted figure has been slightly converted.

Here's the Sutton Hoo helmeted Blacktree Designs miniature with the original inserted to the right. I cut & drilled away the axe & replaced with a spear, had to slightly rebuild the hand with green-stuff. I added a shield & built the feet up with green-stuff as they were kind of tiny.

Finally a couple of group shots:

Still more miniatures to take pictures of....and I finished painting some more this week :-)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 04:30:23 AM by Jacksarge »

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Brilliant addition to the array of expertly painted miniatures in this thread. :) Love the colours and shield designs.
You're absolutely right, Collin Patten is a true master of his trade - if perhaps underrated for his subdued, 'realistic' style. Good to see those minis here.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
Lovely figures and painting. I really like Colin Patten's sculpting too. I bought some of his Anglo Saxon housecarls the other day and was struck by how convincing his figures with axes are. They really look like they are putting every ounce of their weight into the axe blow.

Offline Phil Portway

• Mastermind
Fabulous brush work!  :o :o :o :o :o :o
If it isn't enjoyable, it isn't gaming!

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Very nice color palette! To be honest I think that to choose the right color palette is one the most difficult decisions to take when painting Ancients/Medievals. Actually, any army without uniforms! You got it perfectly, with a nice mix of bright and faded colors, depending on the character being represented by the miniature. Really impresed.

By the way, thanks for bring to our attention Patten's miniatures. I, for one, didn't know about them!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Wonderful work as usual.
 :-* :-*

You have certainly sold me on Saxon Miniatures.
Should (when...) I delve in to the Dark Ages I shall certainly pay them a visit.
 :)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Lovely brushwork and a cracking palette  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/