Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:06:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689697
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Celestium builds  (Read 5213 times)

Offline Corvus5200

• Assistant
Celestium builds
« on: October 08, 2016, 07:12:01 PM »

I posted this on Facebook, but I want to see all of them.

Ok, Felstadians! Let's see those Celestiums that everybody is fiendishly slaving over.
I'm trying to figure out how to post the pictures of the beginning of my project. There is a skewer in the middle, so they can all spin. I'm painting today and scheming on how to make the pillar on top. I have the whisper of an idea rolling around in my brain.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Celestium builds
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 06:10:40 AM »
don't know what you are talking about?
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Roger

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 08:55:27 AM »
Hi Folks, well this was my attempt at the celestium, It wasnt until I'd finnished cutting out the discs that I re read the instructions that I discovered that it was supposed to be 1" overall not 1" per level...Dohhh!!! As it turned out it gave another dimention to the scenario, you couldnt just leap someone from the other side of the disc.

we ended up calling it the wedding cake scenaio :)
It was a fun game trying to work out where everyone was going to end up, and the +7 attack from the starfire elemental did a swift number on my treasure hunter...

Roger
You know its a good day when, you wake up and your elbows dont hit wood :)

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 09:17:26 AM »
That looks brilliant - well done.

Offline Daysman

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 04:09:55 PM »
 :o Very nice !

Offline Plus Four

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 06:22:19 PM »
I know you got size wrong but that looks sweet!!  ;D

Offline Roger

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 07:09:42 PM »
Thanks guys :) , I had to make a couple of disks of cardboard to go between the levels to make it easier to turn.
It's a bit of a faff to get 1 level going one way and the other to go the other way without flinging wizards off like a random leap spell on steroids, but it was a fun scenario to play.
And Im sure with a little grey matter strain we can use it again.
I was thinking about 2 treasures on each level with monsters that are bound to those levels ,4,4,2
and maybe even making like the tower, where no magic works ( insert evil grin here ) lol

Roger

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 07:31:13 PM »
Nice! What a cool board 8)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Corvus5200

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 04:06:20 AM »
That looks amazing!  I read it the same way, re-read it, and then changed back.  Each of my tiers is ~1" tall as well.  Here are two earlier shots, I've already black bombed them and I need to finish my stone work.  I wanted them to look like big slabs, only movable by magic.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 06:52:22 AM »
Looking at the set-up description, it seems to me that you guys read it right the first time:

The Celestium is a three-tiered, circular step pyramid. Each of the tiers is circular, centered on the one below it, and should be approximately 1" tall.

The height callout is in the latter sentence, which describes common aspects each tier should posses individually. If the total structure was supposed to be 1", the callout would be in the former sentence, which describes attributes the entire Celestum possesses wholistically. Like this:

"The Celestium is a three-tiered, circular step pyramid, and should be approximately 1" tall. Each of the tiers is circular, and centered on the one below it."

I'm actually a little confused as to what bit people are reading that's giving them the idea that they read it wrong the first time and it's actually supposed to be 1" in total.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 06:58:53 AM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Roger

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 06:50:25 PM »
You're correct Connectamabob, looking at it now ,I'm blaming my eyesight, paint fumes and
prolonged exposure to celestial frostgrave radiation  lol

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 01:12:54 PM »
Yup, each tier should be 1 inch high - but it's not hugely important. What is important is that Celestium looks awesome! Good work, Roger.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 10:21:19 PM »
To anyone who's played the scenario (or to the author, if he's reading): how important are the diameters of the discs? Will approximate sizes work, or do variances have a big effect on play?

I'm asking because I'm wondering about the use of found objects (like, for example, plastic party platters) as a starting point instead of hand cutting disks to size.

Also: is the size of the pillars important? It isn't specified, and I imagine it doesn't matter much with the 4 outer pillars, but the axis pillar might have some proportional interaction with the top-tier's usable area and sightlines.

I figure the answer to these is most likely "doesn't matter, do whatever you want", but I thought I'd ask to be sure.

Offline Roger

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 07:49:39 PM »
If it helps, mine was made out of honeycomb cardboard for the bottom 2 levels, the top one was styrofoam with cardboard glued on top and bottom.
I edged them with strips of thin corragated cardboard (cat food boxes ) barely 2mm thick corrigations running vertical so it bent around the disks and hot glued it on.
I covered it with the foam card (B&M, 69p for a pack of 10) and carved out the cracks with a pyrography burner, which has some nice thin tips perfect for this sort of detail.
Just hope the wife doesnt mind the smell of burnt foam the next time she uses it or Im in for it  lol

If you're looking for a good source of large cardboard check out your local white goods store, they also get styrofoam and the honeycomb cardboard in some of the packing.
You can use PVA, but hot glue is a lot quicker.
I just used a piece of string and a pen to draw out the larger circles, the small one I used the bottom of a paint tin.
Hope this helps.

Roger

Offline Corvus5200

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 09:42:21 PM »
Here she is painted.  The pillars are drying right now with their base coat. I really want to finish them tonight!