Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:31:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New stuff for Weird Wars - (15/07/2019) Heer 46 E-100 Kickstarter live  (Read 55871 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: New stuff for Weird Wars - (02/01/2019) New Dust vehicles
« Reply #270 on: February 06, 2019, 05:58:19 PM »
E-100 you say?.... hmm...
Go on, you know you want to....

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #271 on: February 06, 2019, 06:12:19 PM »
Of course Rich, should you happen to find you've been sleep scratch building for JTFM again I would much, much, much rather have one of those :-*

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #272 on: February 07, 2019, 01:14:24 AM »
The artillery piece may work for 1/56th at least. And well, I suppose us smaller scale modellers can't really complain, as we already have most of the rest available. Though of course, if someone were to make an E-100 in 1/56th (which isn't 3D printed in a material which makes it a bit of an arse to cut up...) then nobody would complain. Well, our bank accounts might.

Dust seems to be an odd range when it comes to stockists. For the short term after a new release you can find their products, but months later most retailers other than their official website show no stock. I was looking for one of those PT-47 amphibious tractors yesterday and other than a few sellers on Ebay (out of the US) nobody seemed to have one. Which is a pity, as from what I recall the actual Dust website charged ridiculous shipping costs. :/

(Though anyone in the US who uses 1/48th scale vehicles will find a nice set of conversion sets for real world vehicles in 1/48th too)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #273 on: February 07, 2019, 07:59:34 AM »
Suggests they are producing short runs of the kits and that's it. 

The E-100 master (should I do it) will be a mix of 3d printed resin (gun, mantlet, wheels, side skirts, back deck) and plasticard plus my standard 1mm MDF for the tracks. 

Resin will give me better detail on those bits that need it, the rest of the hull is jsut big flat sheets.

I could 3d print the tracks but while they would be pretty they would be a pain in the arse to actually print and then very fiddly to assemble.  The 1mm laser engrave/cut works well enough for wargaming purposes I believe.

Obvs then off to Die Waff for casting in Jeffs finest off white stuff.

Going to be a slow burn though as the nipper is a massive time-sink...

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #274 on: February 07, 2019, 08:42:55 AM »
The Dust website does give off the boutique feel, as would I wonder if that spat of Dust kits being massively discounted a few years ago due to a lack of interest effected their bottom line and impacted future releases (which I should note, locally Konflikt 47 kits have been on sale for ages).

Currently the only option for an E-100 in 1/56th, and they may not even be selling it anymore, is that upscaled 1/100 3D print from Special Artizan Service Miniatures. And I can imagine that you can do better than that. Hell if Warlord released an E-100 your work would still likely be better. :)

Tsk, but I'm already getting ahead of myself by wondering if Jeff would put out some variants too... I've not forgotten that I was going to make a E-100 Krokodil (the thing with a drain pipe for a barrel), and a kit with removable side skirts would be appreciated for one of those.  With that Die Waffenkammer would have most of the E-Series (if we can really place a full line up for that, as from what I can remember that also included the Panzer 38D and Panzer III/IV at one point or other). ...Not to say that there's anything to stop Die Waffenkammer from releasing more "what if" kits. Hopefully all that Konflikt 47 buzz was a boost in sales at the least.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #275 on: February 07, 2019, 08:50:31 AM »
My plan would be for seperate bits of skirt probably.  Or maybe just make them single piece for ease of manufacture.  But seperate. 

Did the proposed krokodil (I know it's realluy impractical!) not have them?  Not really looked...

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #276 on: February 07, 2019, 09:54:45 AM »
With the Krokodil it was more a personal taste thing that it wouldn't have those silly looking bulbous skirts. As far as I'm aware the StuG E-100 wasn't even out of the early discussion phase by the end of the war, so anyone wanting to make one could do whatever they wanted. The skirts look dumb enough that having missing panels wouldn't help make them look any better, as do they look bolted on with some substantial supports (presumably as they were designed to be repeatedly re-installed), so I wouldn't think there'd be much call for a modular set of skirts as opposed to you doing them as a single piece.

However, the big question would be the toss up between the front mounted casement - which the community tends to go with - or a rear mounted on. The later was where the thinking was at the time for other proposed StuGs, however, the forward casement is more iconic of German tanks, and where post-war development went. Of the two I'd probably go for the suspension breaking frontal gun (which would help to emphasise that 17cm monster...).

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #277 on: February 07, 2019, 12:20:16 PM »
Yes seen that with that monster gun waaaaay out in front!

Daft but as you say that JagtTiger profile is iconic.

Plan would be:

Tracks (seperate to the hull)
3d printed sprokets, idlers and wheels (repeatability and decent profiles not jsut engraved or layers)
1mm MDF Tracks as they are robust and detaield enough for tracks (Plus I am happy making them like that)
Suspension and hull side attached to provide rigidity

Hull
1mm plasticard with internal bulkheads (Standard) 3d printed back deck and rear details

The E-100 turret/possible maus turret:
1mm plasticard with composite plastic tube and 3d printed barrel (and filler...)
3d printed mantlet

Skirts
3d printed in sections (Ease of printing) - maybe glue them together to reduce part count after.

The 3d printed stuff will be on my resin printer and at 0.05mm resolution then sanded to remove any residual lines (Not much!)

Krokodil would then be a new hull and gun.
1mm plasticard, same back deck and rear details.
composite gun.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #278 on: February 07, 2019, 07:23:59 PM »

While the Krokodil was a complete fabrication (made up by Herbert Cance apparently) & only a StuG E-100 version was ever suggested, (though no plans exist so who knows what it would have looked like) the Amusing Hobby Version is as good an invention as any (yes Queegs beautifully painted front heavy version also looks great, just ignore the physics).

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #279 on: February 08, 2019, 06:43:00 AM »
Yes it also puts the gun trunnion in the middle.  We'll see how I get on.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #280 on: February 08, 2019, 06:13:08 PM »

You'll have to ressurect your IS7 (or an IS4) project to counter all these monsters... just saying :)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #281 on: February 09, 2019, 12:06:29 AM »
Did the Ojekt 279 instead  :D

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #282 on: February 09, 2019, 03:10:30 PM »
The E-100 looks impressive, liking the turret on the superstructure.  :-*
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Re: New stuff for Weird Wars - (14/04/2019) New Dust vehicles 'Object 47'
« Reply #283 on: April 17, 2019, 04:19:12 PM »

I think that claiming this fits in a '47 timeline might be a bit of a stretch, but it is undoubtedly cool. It's another preview for forthcoming dust stuff (which also includes an E-50, a Tortoise and a US T-28 spg - but as the latter two already have excellent 1/56 models by JTFM & this forum's own Rich H, and the E-50 looks soon to get one from the same, I'll pass).

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: New stuff for Weird Wars - (14/04/2019) New Dust vehicles 'Object 47'
« Reply #284 on: April 17, 2019, 06:04:45 PM »
As did RichH make one of those as well, but I don't he had it cast. It would work for a The Man in the High Castle setting perhaps, but yes, is definitely too far along for WWII's level of technology (a personal gripe when it comes to alt-history setting's deciding to suddenly jump tech 20, 40 or 70 + years on because "those wacky Nazis". The bloody concepts weren't around, let alone the technology...).