Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:43:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ice Station Zebra - The BLAM Game 12-15 Oct  (Read 34790 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Ice Station Zebra - Final Board Configuration (10/10)
« Reply #225 on: October 14, 2017, 09:20:20 PM »
I had the pleasure of gaming on this today and have to say that it was one of the most original games that I have played in a very long time, as well as being a great treat for the eyes.

Top job, mate!
 8) 8)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #226 on: October 14, 2017, 11:22:03 PM »
I had the pleasure of gaming on this today and have to say that it was one of the most original games that I have played in a very long time, as well as being a great treat for the eyes.

Top job, mate!
 8) 8)

Definitely. The set up was fantastic and the gameplay was very original.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #227 on: October 15, 2017, 08:46:00 AM »
Turned out really well.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #228 on: October 15, 2017, 09:57:34 AM »
OK - less of the teasers. Let’s have some DETAILS...! I’m all agog about the gameplay.

Impatiently

Doug

edit: and LOTS of photos...!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #229 on: October 16, 2017, 02:47:14 PM »

Top job, mate!
 8) 8)

All of the above. Hugely enjoyable. ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #230 on: October 16, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »
excellent fun - thanks for taking the time and trouble Gary - it also looked superb - especially the Walrus on heat  :D

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #231 on: October 17, 2017, 06:26:54 PM »
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:31:03 PM by NurgleHH »
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #232 on: October 17, 2017, 06:50:42 PM »
Very good Dirk, great soundtrack.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #233 on: October 17, 2017, 07:54:39 PM »
Dirk,

Thanks for the video. Very cinematic.   :D

I will be adding an AAR (or something) about the game play as soon as I have assembled the photos in some meaningful order.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #234 on: October 18, 2017, 09:30:45 AM »
Amazing board, really inspiring!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ice Station Zebra - The BLAM Game 12-15 Oct
« Reply #235 on: October 20, 2017, 04:00:25 PM »
This last part of the thread will describe how the game played out at BLAM over the weekend of 12-15 Oct.  The game was played 5 times with 20 out of the 27 people attending managing to get a game.  Hopefully they all enjoyed it.

For those who haven't been following the thread the game is based on the spy novel 'Ice Station Zebra' by Alistair Maclean.  Set in the late 1950s the plot is that a British agent is sent to the Arctic to carry out an investigation into a SOS recieved from a British Weather Tracking Station.  He is transported in one of the first US nuclear submarines which surfaces near the base.  The game follows the basic premise of the book but has added a whole host of additional stuff to make the game exciting.  It is a RPG based wargame with a bit of sleuthing thrown in.

The board looks like this - with the Ice Station in the SE corner of the board and the US Submarine in the NW corner.

The rescue party were each given a character card, which gave them the background of the game, their character details, their objectives and any special attriubutes that they had.  They also had a small amount of equpment, some specific to the character (such as a first aid kit with the medic) and others to be shared amongst them.

The game was divided into 4 phases - the first to get to the Ice Station, the second to carry out the investigation, thirdly to get themselves plus any survivors back to the submarine.  The last part involved them declaring what they think happened and who was the villain.  This last piece decided who actually won the game.

In most cases the players had to cooperate in order to survive but they always had the option to work alone or even against the others if their character sheet allowed it. Given that the 4 ccharacters represented the British Secret Service, US Naval Intelligence, the CIA and a sleeper KGB agent, no one knowing that the others were also spies, the game was already set with a whole lot of intrigue.

Once they had worked out their plan, the party set off from the submarine.  This shot is deliberately darkened to represent the poor light conditions they were travelling under.

Now as anyone knows about my games, there are always twists and turns.  The first one represented the actual movement.  Although the tiles were laid out in a grid pattern (as per the left hand diagram below), the party did not move directly across the board. As the party crossed from tile to tile the figures were moved in accordance with the right hand pattern.  This represented the poor light, the blizzard and of course the fact that hand held compasses do not work at the North Pole.

In fact the only clues they had as to how to navigate their way to the station was a radio direction finder (which gave them their position relative to the submarine) and the knowledge that the Ice Station was to the SE of the submarine. In another twist they were told the battery had a limited (but unspecified) life.

The other twist was the hazards that they might encounter in the Arctic.  The first was the cold itself.  I kept a counter of each turn the party were outside any shelter using seals as counters.  For every 6 turns they lost a health point.

Finally there the random events that might happen represented by event cards.  These were turned over at the start of each turn and played accordingly.

The Thin Ice and Crevasse cards were designed to strip away some health but all the parties opted to rope themselves together which negated some of the effects, but in consequence they travelled more slowly, thus incurring more cold weather effects.

The others were encounter events, which weren't in the book but I wanted to add into the game, partly because they could have happened, but mostly I loved the Copplestone figures and couldn't resist adding them to the game.

The Innuit encounter required them to communicate in sign language.  If they managed to speak to the Innuit they could ask them questions and also get any member who had fallen through the ice warmed up. The downside was if they failed then the Innuit would attack them.  Two rifle armed Innuit and a Husky take a lot of beating.

The second encounter was with a Polar Bear.  All the goups met him but surprisingly his hunting skills (i.e. his dice rolling) was very poor and he only managed to inflict minor wounds on one character in each group.  Shouts of "SHOOT THE BEAR" rang out each time he was encountered, which added to the excitement as character after character missed his shots with the bear inffectually mauling one of the party.

More to follow in the next post.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #236 on: October 20, 2017, 04:25:32 PM »
The next bit happened when they finally arrived at the Ice Station.

The rescuers, spoke to the surviviors to discover what they could of the disaster, which turned out to be a fire in the generator room, resulting in losing all power to the base, hence the SOS call. 

The party then split up moving from room to room, using their 'investigative skills' - a series of dice rolls - to discover clues.  Each room had a description and a number of clues to be discovered (usually 3).  Each turn they searched became harder and some left with little or no clue (excuse the pun) about what transpired in some of the rooms.  Once they had  searched all the rooms, the characters re-assembled where they could exchange information.  Some people were more forthcoming than others, which helped fill in some of the gaps.  However no player discovered all the clues. 

This shot shows Leading Seaman Zabrinski (background) searching one of the buildings, whilst Petty Officer Rawlings questiones two of the survivors.

Once they had done enough sleuthing, the party made their way back to the submarine.  Given they had worked out some of the navigation issues the move back was failry uneventful, none of the groups  drawing the Ambush card.  This would have pitched them against two Russian Spetznatz (potentially with Innuit allies) which would have almost certainly killed off some of the players.

As it was the players final task was to write down the answers to 7 questions, based on what they had found or worked out.  The winner was anyone who worked out the name of the traitor (for the record it was Dr Fox the second in command of the Ice Station).  In the event of a tie I had three count back options to split tied answers, the last one being a dice roll.  This had to be used only once, on the final game of the weekend.

Once the game was over I swore the players to secrecy about the plot, characters and outcomes, as other players who overheard discussions in the bar would have their enjoyment spoilt.  Everyone was good to their word with the last group playing 2 days after the first game and being none the wiser despite being in close proximity with the other 16 players for three and a half days.

Overall I have had a blast making this project come to life and running the game.  It has been a very different route for me but I hope that you have enjoyed what I have had to offer along the way. 

Finally if anyone wants a copy of the rules and cards drop me a pm and I will be happy to share them with you.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #237 on: October 20, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »
This was a great experience and most enjoyable with a definite RPG element. I was one of the very secretive players but that was because I was an MI6 agent and trusted no-one!  Thanks for the game Gary.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #238 on: October 20, 2017, 05:48:49 PM »
Sounds as brilliant as it looks....

Doug

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #239 on: October 21, 2017, 01:29:33 AM »
I agree - it looks like your effort was rewarded with a whole weekend of fun games.