Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:57:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689752
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Howdy!  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Eccentric Cowboy

• Assistant
    • Eccentric Cowboy Blog
Howdy!
« on: October 16, 2016, 11:15:20 PM »
Howdy all! Came across this site and it looked like a checklist for every conceivable interest I have and it's been haunting me with its digital siren song ever since!

For those vaguely concerned I'm an unrepentant fan of writings by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Robert E. Howard, HP Lovecraft, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, H. Rider Haggard, HG Wells, Jules Verne amongst others. I'm especially affectionate of anything Weird West or Dino Pulp. I like things that are eccentric and off the wall, things that defy genre like Bioshock, Fallout, The Adventures of Brisco County Junior, and tons of others. This seems like just the place to revel in such fandom and I'm hoping to have lots of fun and intelligent discourses with ya'll!

I am wondering however, since I unfortunately am not a mini painter or collector, if one is permitted to engage in threads simply to share ideas, discuss relevant interests, and other forms of media that are related to the listed categories. I don't want to be "that guy" who just jumps in and starts bombarding threads with distracting comments, you know? This seems like a pretty chill place but I want to be certain. Any help would be most appreciated!  :D
Indie author, lover of history, literature and movie buff, Weird West and Paleopulp nut

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
Re: Howdy!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 08:49:49 AM »
Well welcome to the forum Eccentric Cowboy. I'm sure you will find plenty to perk your interest here. Especially on the VSF & Pulp boards. Look forward to hearing more from you. BTW Where about in the world are you located?
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Eccentric Cowboy

• Assistant
    • Eccentric Cowboy Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 03:10:13 PM »
Thanks! And I'm in the Northwest of the United States. Mighty cold up here right now, brrrr!

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 07:15:47 AM »
I am in the northwest USA too. As you can see I am in Tacoma WA. We have a very active group here in western Wa & Or that does a lot of VSF & 19th century colonial gaming.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 07:21:27 AM »
Welcome !
, ,

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 09:36:56 AM »
have a good look around! and welcome!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Eccentric Cowboy

• Assistant
    • Eccentric Cowboy Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 06:52:52 AM »
Appreciate it lads! It's nice to see so many enthusiastic guys here. :)

And that's cool Herby! I'm a bit further East of Washington, but I'd love to try gaming with ya'll sometime! VSF and colonial gaming sounds like it's right up my alley. Beware my noob status however, as the only tabletop gaming I've done has been D&D.  ;)

Online Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 12:13:19 AM »
East of Washington? I'm in Missoula, Noctuary ( http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=75859.0 ) is in the Bozeman area. Always room at the table for someone interested.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 12:32:19 PM »
I am wondering however, since I unfortunately am not a mini painter or collector, if one is permitted to engage in threads simply to share ideas, discuss relevant interests, and other forms of media that are related to the listed categories. I don't want to be "that guy" who just jumps in and starts bombarding threads with distracting comments, you know? This seems like a pretty chill place but I want to be certain.

Welcome - and thanks for asking. It's a good sign :)

The forum is for people who game / collect / model / paint etc in pursuit of 'the miniatures hobby' in some form.  But there are also members here who like to discuss genres and settings and contribute ideas, more than actually participating in toy soldiers and wargaming directly.
It's a broad church, and we're not in the business of telling people what they can and can't discuss - provided topics stay within the forum rules. We do have rules concerning random discursive threads though. We try to discourage 'conversation for the sake of having a conversation', because there are other social media channels and platforms which are better suited to that, and also because experience shows those kind of open ended 'what do you think of...?' topics, tend to be the ones that end up in arguments.
Obviously most people here are primarily interested in tabletop miniatures in one form or another, and as long as that remains the majority interest, that's fine. If it ever becomes a general discussion forum we'd need to look at changing the name! But I don't think that's likely to happen. So please feel free to contribute as you see fit.
If you stray too far off matters relevant to the forum's core purpose and interest, someone will tell you I'm sure :)

I'm guessing your participation here may even kindle your interest in actually collecting / playing with miniatures in the end. Come over to the Dark Side  8) ;)

Cheers.

Richard

Offline Eccentric Cowboy

• Assistant
    • Eccentric Cowboy Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 06:21:26 PM »
Thank ya'll very much for the info! I really appreciate it Cap! :)

I definitely don't want to dilute the focus of these well organized boards, which I'm very impressed with, and make them generalistic. (Spellcheck is telling me that's not a real word, but I'm sticking with it!) I want to contribute and have fun with relevant interests. :) I'd appreciate you gents letting me know if I'm getting off topic as well. Gotta keep things focused, right? :)

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to get into the whole minis business! It's just that at the moment I'm pinching pennies trying to make ends meet and I can't paint worth a darn, but some of those sets and minis keep calling to me like tiny little sirens. XD