Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:06:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690821
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 532
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Deep Madness (kickstarter)  (Read 2977 times)

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
Deep Madness (kickstarter)
« on: October 17, 2016, 03:41:53 PM »
I'm not affiliated with this at all (other than as a backer) but spotted this over the weekend and the figs look really nice...so what they heck I thought I'd back it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diemensiongames/deep-madness

As there was no threat here mentioning it (I believe) I thought I would start one. It looks like a load of decent horror figs for the price at this point.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Deep Madness (kickstarter)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 04:39:30 PM »
Some of the monster renders are great, but as usual no option to buy figures without pledging the whole game. Will have too see how it goes later.

Real mix/mess of themes going on though, science, mystic, cyber, robotic and power armour all at once.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 05:48:23 PM »
Some lovely horror designs there but the "charge shipping after we see how much it comes out to" is a huge red flag for me, and of course you never know how well the renders will translate to production models.  November 2017 is a long way off to tie up over $90, and the last KS I backed was about 4 years late delivering.  Very hard to justify, which is a shame.

Offline chicklewis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 03:06:57 AM »
People just haphazardly slap Lovecraft's name on anything these days. 

I'm not interested in the post-modern investigator figures, and the individual sculpts for the monsters, though interesting, are limited in number and for my games, limited in usefulness. 
"Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof."

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 04:25:19 PM »

I'm not interested in the post-modern investigator figures,

I'm totally interested in this, as there is a huge hole in the market for such figures.

However, I'm not interested in having to buy an entire game, filled with stuff I don't want, won't use, and don't need just to get a handful of modern hunter types.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 05:01:10 PM »
I've backed because I want to play the board game. I like board games :)
The miniatures will only ever be board game markers for me I won't paint them and I won't use them on the tabletop as there are plenty of existing miniatures already designed for that.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 06:41:21 AM »
However, I'm not interested in having to buy an entire game, filled with stuff I don't want, won't use, and don't need
I think I might go for one or two of their bigger beast extras.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »
Looks very similar to Shadows of Brimstone, which I already own. Too many games and too many Kickstarters, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 12:38:15 AM »
I'm totally interested in this, as there is a huge hole in the market for such figures.

However, I'm not interested in having to buy an entire game, filled with stuff I don't want, won't use, and don't need just to get a handful of modern hunter types.

I would be amazed if you couldn't easily resell the monster figs and other unwanted components in small lots for as much or more than the game costs you.  Or if you don't want to go to the trouble of selling piecemeal, find someone who doesn't want the hunter figs.  Or on the gripping hand, there will probably be component lots on ebay from other people breaking it up, so you could get your hunters that way.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 10:20:02 PM »
Been following this KS, and they've added a huge number of minis and stretch goal expansion stuff, including a bunch of truly horrific large monsters.  More than enough to make it a phenomenal deal if they deliver - but also enough to make me seriously worry about whether they can deliver, and if they'll manage to do so on time.  It would be great to get a massive pile of horrors to paint for lousy hundred bucks (or two, with the expansion bundle), but it's certainly a risky venture.

Six days to go.  Decisions, decisions.

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 09:04:58 PM »
I'm in as well, for both the game as well as the miniatures. I do own Shadows of Brimstone as well, but see enough difference between the games, to like both.

For those in doubt, her is an overview of what is included:

And I expect that a few more strech goals will bre reached in the coming days. I'm especially hoping for the 1 mln mark, which is another big guy:

The expansions are also interesting, but I won't bother all of you with more pictures ;)
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?