Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:26:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686473
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fallout; Vault 26  (Read 22655 times)

Offline nedius

• Librarian
Re: Fallout; Vault 26
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 03:58:19 PM »
Muzfish4: They are from armorcast: http://www.armorcast.com/three-giant-mutant-flies . I got bitten by import fees, which jacked up the price hugely. I like the armorcast stuff - the Lance & Laser Post apoc range has some expensive but cool Fallout stuff (scorpions, brahmin & FO3 Yaoi Gui - even a HUGE centaur/slug thing). But the price, plus international postage, plus import duty makes them a big ask from the UK.

The Centaurs

Each one takes one sprue of 3 mantic zombies.

I used two torsos - One as the base, and a second for the upright 'true' torso (I imagined them like a weird, conjoined twin situation... One with it's head up the others... well, you know). You get seven arms to play with - They are all cut away and repositioned as required, and the head/foot they are grasping either removed or not left as a grizzly trophy. The hands also needed cutting off and repositioning in order to be flush with the ground. All these cuts are then re-sculpted with greenstuff or equivalent. It doesn't even need to be that neat, since they are supposed to be deformed monstrosities anyway! Oh, and there is a trailing spine option that can be used as well!

Wish I'd taken more WIP shots!

Offline nedius

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 09:52:50 PM »
If anyone wants more WIP shots of the centaurs, I found a whole bunch - just let me know and I'll post them.

Today I spent some time adding bases to some of my guys.

First is a Hasslefree miniature - I hoped for him to be a Raider boss, but he looks too far out of the theme I've gone for, so he'll be a more generic Merc NPC - probably a merc boss for some missions/events.

Next are two EM4 miniatures. The first thing I need to say about these guys is that they look so much better in the flesh compared to the pics on their website. I picked them up ate Salute earlier this year, and was very impressed with the quality for such a low price.

First is just a straight up basing of a fun mini. I love the skull and shotgun look. Sorry it's a bit blurry...

Secondly, I was inspired by someone else who had built a FO4 flamer, so had to have a go myself. This guy had a flamer, but it was a bit old-school-40k. I am quite pleased with how it turned out. Was a fun build. I also added a greenstuff, press-moulded welding mask - but in classic crazed raider style, he's using it as a shoulder pad rather than have it mess his hair...

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 01:26:32 AM »
Wow, love those centaurs and that flamer conversion!  :-*

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 09:22:11 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Will investigate postage options and see it it works for me - keep up the wonderful work!

Offline nedius

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 09:27:47 PM »
Just a confession first! Some of these pics are old, and are more the record of stuff I have done over time - I'm just not dropping all of these at once! So, I'm not a Deltadog level of work production! I just figured a drip feed gives people a reason to come back and get to see something new each day for a while.

Anyway, a dilemma now.

I bought some Reaper Bones Vermin Scorpions to represent generic Radscorpions. I have a Heresy miniatures Scorpion for a larger rad Scorpion, and am trying to find a 'giant' radscorpion to ues as a 'boss'. Recommendations appreciated!

I trimmed the base of one away, and it looks decent enough on the base...

However... the dilemma. The scorpions are fine... ok... alright...

The plastic is toy store bargain bucket army figure quality - rubbery and flexible. The Reaper website says once painted, they are rugged, durable, and look like any other painted plastic. The reviews often seem to say otherwise - they don't take primer well, they get bent out of shape too easily. I could try basing and painting them all up, or even do one and see how it goes. But they are also a bit small... not too small, but a tiny bit small... but there aren't any others available at just slightly larger sizes...

So, I just don't know! I'm happy that they were about a quarter of the price of 10 metal Dust Scorpions, that I could get them in the UK without US international postage charges. I'm happy to have some rather than none. But do I bite the bullet and pay a hefty sum for metal ones (which will be harder to remove from bases), but will be a material I know will be good, or stick to what I have - serviceable but not ideal.

I can't decide if I'm being too perfectionist, especially over something that is, in essence, a game piece. So any experience with Reaper Bones, or alternative miniature suggestions, would be most welcome!

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2016, 10:23:48 PM »
Nice to see another Fallout thread, especially one with good miniatures.

As for the Bones dilemma, most people want to treat them the same as they do metal, resin, or HIPS models. They are none of those things, and so work completely differently to the others, at least at the start. Mold lines need to be cut off generally, and not filed. Once cut, you can file them using fine sandpaper or fine diamond files. Generally speaking, you don't need to prime them. Especially if you are using good hobby paint (GW, Reaper, P3, Vallejo). There are threads on Reaper's forum dedicated to working with the material. Don't discount it just yet.  :)

As to suggestions for a giant scorpion, Reaper actually has one in Bones here.

There is also the one  from Megacon Games Myth line. Pictures of the actual figures here.

You could find either of those on eBay or an UK discounter, I'm sure.

Hope that helps.

~Eric

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 04:36:28 AM »
Splendid project - I shall follow this with much interest!  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline nedius

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2016, 05:57:20 PM »
Hi again,

Still going through the back log.

Did do a bit of greenstuffing on some Super Mutants, but still far too much to do before they are photogenic - or even going to be showing much WIP. Mostly just cleaning up gaps.

Anyway, here's one of my raiders - a melee version.

He needs more work - some armour or some such. Not sure what yet. But I like the pose.

Offline clanmac

• Mad Scientist
  • Danger - Stupid and Industrious
    • Clan Mac's Post Apocalyptia
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2016, 06:08:02 PM »
Love that flamethrower conversion - awesome.
Mac

It's not big, or clever, but let's do it anyway

https://www.facebook.com/Junkt0wn/

Offline nedius

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2016, 07:57:50 PM »
Some more raiders.

This first guy still needs the hair tufts. The headgear is inspired by FO3, and is one of my more ambitious sculpting attempts.

Second is a FO4 inspired piece of headgear.

The heavy head protection was a test run for what I hope to at some point replicate for a Raider in Power Armour.

Both of these guys still need work - a bit more fallout style armour.

I chose these two to show how I'm trying top mix the two styles - that of FO3 and FO4.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 08:45:42 PM by nedius »

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
    • It's a Hobby, not an Addiction!
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2016, 08:01:58 PM »
This is so good in so many ways! It looks like a really well thought out project (cue envy) and you're making a load of unique, and frankly great, characters.

The board is atmospheric and I'm looking forward to seeing the populace get a lock of paint.

Inspirational.

Offline nedius

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2016, 08:31:30 PM »
Are the last set of raider pics all oddly proportioned?

Edit: lesson of today. Don't use Photobucket in-site editor. :-(
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 08:39:13 PM by nedius »

Offline W1LL0V3RL0RD

• Lurker
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2016, 09:03:50 PM »

This is an old pic, but you can see the other 4.

The 'tongues' are from a Malifaux model - a friend of mine gave me some spare heads/limbs that had lots of tentacles. They are not easy to find bits for, so you may wish to greenstuff them.

Loving the work!

Quick question, I do believe that is a wanamingo at the back...where did the model come from? I've been looking all over for a proxy wanamingo model...

Offline nedius

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2016, 09:24:18 PM »
It is a Wanamingo, indeed!

The original model is a D&D Otyugh. I got one from a UK ebay listing, but there are some USA ones - postage is a pain. If you just check 'otyugh' often enough you may luck out! Or try some D&D forums, see if there are any trade threads?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/351783412147?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=pla-142405554786&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=1007101&device=c&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0

I lopped off the topmost arm, and the third leg, then covered the patches with Greenstuff and textured to match the rest of the model by literally stabbing at it with a large, soft bristled paint brush. It was surprisingly easy and effective.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 09:25:59 PM by nedius »

Offline nedius

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2016, 08:30:57 PM »

This guy is likely to be my raider leader. There is a lot of armour and straps to sculpt on, but this is the current state.

I do need to get onto doing some painting. I'm just so much worse at it than I am at modelling - I always feel like I've ruined my models by painting them... And can't afford to pay someone else!