Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:11:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690815
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: African Deities?  (Read 3122 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: African Deities?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 09:17:30 PM »
Argonor: Did you get any further with this as I am interested in the same idea myself (OGAM)...?

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 10:11:39 PM »
This is an extremely interesting thread!
Thanks Argonor for seeding the question, Thanks Plynkes for providing so valuable info!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 10:20:10 PM »
Not really a god but something for Zulu mythology you could have running around would be a Tikolsohe normally pronounced Tokoloshe.

"considered a mischievous and evil spirit that can become invisible by drinking water. Tokoloshes are called upon by malevolent people to cause trouble for others. At its least harmful a tokoloshe can be used to scare children, but its power extends to causing illness or even the death of the victim. The creature might be banished by a n'anga (spiritual healer), who has the power to expel it from the area." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tikoloshe

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 11:19:08 PM »
My hobby stuff has been on hold since I finished painting a Viking warband for SAGA early spring or so - too much real life stuff going on this year I'm afraid.  :(

Going to pick up on something at some point, but not until after Christmas at least...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 12:46:00 AM »
Very entertaining post, Plynkes; thank you.

May I add a fave monster from my country? The Xhosa people (Mandela was one, btw) have a water-dwelling homunculus known as a tokolosh. He looks like a diminutive human, but can live underwater, has enormous strength, and has a ridiculously long and prehensile male appendage which can be sent through a window or under a door to rape sleeping men. Even today, it is not unusual for a Xhosa man to claim to have been the victim of such treatment.

The tokolosh dislikes being talked about. I had a Xhosa nanny in my youth who refused to say more than one or two sentences about him lest he strangle her on her way home. I've also read that when he kills he leaves no mark, but this was in a work of fiction (not written by a Xhosa), so I don't vouch for the authenticity of this belief.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 06:16:30 AM »
Probably going a massively different direction than most suggestions, mainly because other than looking at the tribes you have minis that fit and going from there, most things have been covered (Other than Anansi being the fun guy to deal with that he is...), there is another major option for using things of African origin that can be used in a very different way, mainly moving into the more voodoo stuff, and taking the Vodun options

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2017, 06:40:59 AM »
Amos Tutuola's novel My Life in the Bush of Ghosts might give some fun ideas: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Life_in_the_Bush_of_Ghosts_(novel)

Not sure tho how much it actually follows Nigerian folklore or mythology as I'm never really got versed in African mythologies even back in the mid-80's when I read fairly extensively on the subject. Most of it I've forgotten anyhow.