Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:49:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690702
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1026
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Manspider attempt at a WIP-along (again)  (Read 1731 times)

Offline CrumbReaper

• Librarian
    • CrumbReaper
Manspider attempt at a WIP-along (again)
« on: October 30, 2016, 09:53:34 AM »
As this is going to take a lot more checking reference material than stuff purely from my own imagination I'm hoping it will
be better suited to doing a WIP and getting feedback and constructive crits on it. Not directly a Chulhu mythos creature but certainly
other worldly if I can do it justice!

I've been a huge fan of Yasushi Nirasawa after discovering his work in a dog eared copy of Creature Core and one piece in
particular leaped out - a diorama of 3 human/spider hybrids.......... decided I fancied a go............. so several hours of pouring
over that, human anatomy and spider anatomy pics I got to work with the wire - JetFire76 put me onto some human anatomy armature
info which has proven very useful as I can resize for my needs. I'm working this around a 1:12 scale 150mm (6 inch) skeleton if it was
stood upright.

So far it's torso with double hips and double shoulder blades, 4 legs and 4 arms. I'm planning on a peg neck and same with the feet and hands
so I can sculpt head options and varying feet etc to swap in and out - legs and arms also in ball sockets to make it at least a bit poseable (?)
don't know how it'll pan out, all experimental!!

the circular piece underneath is a bas-relief plaque I'm trying out from a piece of Wes Benscoter art that appeared in Spectrum 6 The Best of
Contemporary Fantastic Art. "Dragon with a Devils Head" I think is the title, very early stage with that and my first attempt at following someone
elses idea! I've contacted Wes via his website but no response as yet.........

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Manspider attempt at a WIP-along (again)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 06:39:48 PM »
Looks promising. watching with interest.

Offline TheBlueShoggoth

• Librarian
    • Outside The Universe Iteself
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 06:48:41 PM »
Looking forward to where this goes!
Primevel Abyssian - A WIP wargame about alien races in an artificial universe :
http://outsidetheuniverseitself.blogspot.com/
inspired by Olaf Stapledon and Robert L Forward ect

Offline CrumbReaper

• Librarian
    • CrumbReaper
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 09:24:19 PM »
thanks both of you - it's going to be an exercise in finding out if I work better sculpting it in parts
or if I should sculpt a whole creature and then cut it up............ I've not tried a proper figure before
but this approach feels better for me - so giving it a go!

Hopefully some progress tomorrow as I got sidetracked playing Minecraft with my nephew this afternoon
with a "hey uncle Steve can we build a castle to go with our village?" - well.......... yes............ we can

Offline CrumbReaper

• Librarian
    • CrumbReaper
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 09:26:12 PM »
every village needs it's overlords to watch over it right? the thing that surprised me chatting with
him is how much the youngsters are lurning about the Illuminati playing Assassins Creed!!  :o

Wonder if I can do some tentacles coming out of the ground somewhere....................

Offline CrumbReaper

• Librarian
    • CrumbReaper
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 09:17:35 AM »
first layer of Kneadatite Greenstuff on all wire frame work now and started bulking out
the head and the torso - I measured the head and worked out I'm actually closer to 120mm or 1/16th
scale going off that.

Here's a pic of progress with my anatomy armature reference image - must have done something during
the print process as that's 120mm but had been resized to 150mm in the software........... hey oh

Offline TheBlueShoggoth

• Librarian
    • Outside The Universe Iteself
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 01:38:45 PM »
If you need someone to model for you, my pet tarantula wouldn't mind helping out, so let me know and I'll ask her for you.

Offline CrumbReaper

• Librarian
    • CrumbReaper
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 07:04:37 PM »
If you need someone to model for you, my pet tarantula wouldn't mind helping out, so let me know and I'll ask her for you.

brilliant - do you have a macro function? A good head shot would be lovely please  8)

Offline CrumbReaper

• Librarian
    • CrumbReaper
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 10:22:32 PM »
roughed out the muscles on the 4 legs, first go at doing this so not sure if this is too rough at this stage?