Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:55:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Oldskoolrebel's Terrain Board Project (Picture Heavy)  (Read 14294 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Oldskoolrebel's Terrain Board Project (Picture Heavy)
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2017, 08:02:31 AM »
Looking really good, mate.
 :-* :-*

As suggested, a few random, longer bits using tufts here and there will really help to give it a proper wild and natural feel.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2017, 09:15:46 AM »
nice indeed
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2017, 10:08:43 AM »
You're doing a great job Andy.  8)

I echo what previous posters have said about blending the three distinct groups of colours: the green grass, brown mud and grey rock; feathering the edges and adding odd patches of flock and tufts to the mud/rock will definitely ease the transition. The grass is most 'stand out' as it is the brightest element but if it represents what you're aiming for - it reminds me of a summer walk out of the mountains in the approx locale of Loch Maree (beautiful but damn those midges!!!) - I wouldn't try to change it. However, if it's still too stark for you, then there's the options of breaking it up with different flock/tufts, patches of gravel/mud, or just some patches of gentle  dry brushing to subtly change the colour.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2017, 11:36:09 AM »

Also, looks like you've got some very neat grass verges. Have you considered roughing them up a bit? You can hit them with a stiff brush to work away flock to give them a more ragged edge. You could also do this in patches to break up the green turf look. Make sure the PVA has completely dried first. Bits of the texture underneath will start to show through, giving you nice areas of drier, harder earth.

Agreed, a bit of rubbing off flock here and there especially where the grass meets the bare areas will give it more continuity etc.

Its looking great though. ;D

I hope you are pleased with what you have achieved?
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2017, 01:34:22 PM »
Looks the biz matey  8) 8) 8)

If you're not sure about the colour you could also mix in a little dark green or brown paint into the pva for when you seal it.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2017, 07:18:38 PM »
In regards to bright green flock, I have found that the colour is toned down / darkened a bit after hitting it with a spray of watered-down PVA to seal it as the last stage.

Also, looks like you've got some very neat grass verges. Have you considered roughing them up a bit? You can hit them with a stiff brush to work away flock to give them a more ragged edge. You could also do this in patches to break up the green turf look. Make sure the PVA has completely dried first. Bits of the texture underneath will start to show through, giving you nice areas of drier, harder earth.

Thanks for the advice. I've now taken a brush to 'feather' the transitions. It's looking a bit more natural. I suspect you're also right about the tone change.

That'll look really good when get some scatter terrain on it mate! One suggestion may be to add a wee bit more flock? Grass, plants and stuff tend to grow in cracks and things that the seeds get blown into and stuck. Maybe add some longer tuts in those cracks? But these are minor things, you're doing a great job!

Cheers pal! That would be the plan. It's the bit that take a while. I've got a variety of scatter to use; flowers, tuffs, small bushes, reeds/grass etc. It's the fun bit but also the bit that also takes the longest.

You're doing a great job Andy.  8)

I echo what previous posters have said about blending the three distinct groups of colours: the green grass, brown mud and grey rock; feathering the edges and adding odd patches of flock and tufts to the mud/rock will definitely ease the transition. The grass is most 'stand out' as it is the brightest element but if it represents what you're aiming for - it reminds me of a summer walk out of the mountains in the approx locale of Loch Maree (beautiful but damn those midges!!!) - I wouldn't try to change it. However, if it's still too stark for you, then there's the options of breaking it up with different flock/tufts, patches of gravel/mud, or just some patches of gentle  dry brushing to subtly change the colour.

Brilliant, thanks for the advice. Your boards always look amazing, looking at both Captain Blood's and your older threads for advice.

With regards to Loch Maree, Wester Ross (Not to be confused with Westeros!) is renowned for it's midges. They're especially vicious up there. My first wild camping experience was up near there. It's beautiful.

Agreed, a bit of rubbing off flock here and there especially where the grass meets the bare areas will give it more continuity etc.

Its looking great though. ;D

I hope you are pleased with what you have achieved?

Thanks Nick, I'm really happy with it. I feel that I've learned a lot during the processes. I also feel that the quality of this build is much higher than the first set of boards I created.

Online NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2017, 09:57:07 PM »
Nice, Andy. Great boards. For FIW?
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2017, 08:14:34 AM »

What a great idea lol lol lol

Bought anymore figures recently ;) lol

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2017, 01:54:36 PM »
They look great Andy,been enjoying following your progress  :)

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2017, 06:39:33 PM »
It's been a long time coming but I've finally gotten around to putting some ground cover on. Before I started I picked up an old tooth brush and blended the edges of the grass. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Also sorry for the wet glue, and the uneven eves that the boards are resting on.

I spent about 20-30 minutes with each board placing woodland scenic bushes (forest blend, light green), clump foliage (dark green) and some more static grass. In addition to this I used Silfur tufts (mid autumn, desert and summer) and Silfur spring blossom tufts. What do you think? Got enough coverage?

At first I wasn't going to put much, but as I play skirmish games I though it wouldn't get in the way of any big terrain. or large units.

Next steps are to paint the river, and varnish it. I'd also like to apply a wash to the road, and then add some tufts directly to it.

FIW and everything in between!  :)

Bought anymore figures recently ;) lol
Shhh!  lol

They look great Andy,been enjoying following your progress  :)

Thank you very much!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2017, 06:43:53 PM »
It is all looking great to me, mate.
You should be very happy with them.
 :-* :-*

As for the 'is it enough?' question: That is simply a matter of personal taste. I would say just add enough until you are happy with the result. Everyone is likely to prefer something slightly different.
They are your boards, so you decide.
 ;)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2017, 06:56:58 PM »
That's looking very good.

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2017, 06:58:17 PM »
Coming along a treat mate, you've done really well and I can't wait to see the trees and river completed :)

Online NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2017, 07:48:27 PM »
The boards are great, problem is the crack between the boards. Maybe some hedge to hide the cracks? I still wonder how to solve this with my own boards

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2017, 08:06:13 PM »
That's looking the biz Andy! :-*

As Mason says, it's enough when you say it is mate. Too much and it'll get in the road of your scatter terrain! :?