Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:12:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New hobby room recommendations  (Read 3123 times)

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
New hobby room recommendations
« on: November 02, 2016, 04:58:35 AM »
 Next year I may be redoing my basement into a dedicated hobby (small 15x 22 ft)area, it will have a painting area and I suppose lots of storage and the common stuff ,but what would you put in that would be must have type stuff.  Thanks for the inspiration.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: New hobby room recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 05:56:34 AM »
Well, duh!  A table upon which to play - with a NO STORAGE! sign on it with menacing skulls and crossbones - at the least.  Artwork of your favorite periods.  And lighting that can be adjusted for mood and effects.  A sound system - for, um, mood and effects.  Sorry, after that you're on your own.  Well, unless someone else comes along with a suggestion or three.  Toodles.   ;D

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 10:09:43 AM »
As its a basement - VENTILATION   ;)

A purpose built table would give you bags of under table storage.

If it's short on natural light, then plenty of whitelight is a must.

Oh...and a zombie doorman, to keep out unwanted visitors.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 10:37:47 AM »
A bar for drowning your sorrows after a failed paint job or battle lost

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 12:52:31 PM »
Beyond the normal table, shelves, lights, etc.  We have found a Whiteboard to be pretty invaluable.
- Scott

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 02:19:49 PM »
One consideration is whether you are only going to game with your figures in that room or take them to a club/shop/etc for games as well.  I don't use my games table as much as I thought so have a lot of my armies storied in metal filing drawers (the small ones 15 to a cabinet) which means I can carry them to my own table to use or carry them in the car to the club...

Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 04:23:12 PM »
I mounted a flatscreen  TV (used) on the wall and put a googlecast dongle on  it. This allows all of the players to display rules or charts directly on to the TV from their tablets or phones wirelessly.

One feature for my game room I am preparing to install is an electrical cable in the floor to the area under the table. This will allow things to be plugged in without risking someone catching a cord while moving around the table.

Two trash cans - a simple thing, but folks on the far side of the table tend to set things down rather than walk around right away and then forget them. Food isn't the issue with my group, labels torn off of things and crumpled seem to be.

I'll second the whiteboard. A double sided one is even better.

Paper towel dispenser - spilled drink, spilled glue, blood from mishandling the pikes, whatever I don't want folks to need to take time search for the towels.

Your address with street name over the door. Seems silly but given the age bracket of many of the gamers you don't want anyone having to search for it if they are calling 911/999. And if it's you with the emergency you won't be telling them. This is one I learned of from two different game groups with sad tales.

Friend of mine has a sideboard with a small dentist's sink (about 5"x5") that drains into a bucket. All food is restricted to the sideboard and the sink comes in handy.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 05:49:29 PM »
If you're going for something nice looking there are frosted glass alternatives for use as a white-board.  I'd suggest that route as it doesn't stain or dent like a normal white board (and can look quite attractive - particularly if you put some snazzy lights behind it!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 01:33:40 AM »
A gaming table with storage underneath, the whole table mounted on castors so that you can move it around  :)
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline rebelyell2006

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 04:28:46 AM »
A utility sink for washing brushes, filling water cups, and so on.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 02:11:04 PM »
A spray booth. Built into the bench where you do your painting, if possible, so you can do both your spraying and brushing under the same light, and without getting up or moving stuff around.

A 3D printer. They're steadily getting cheaper to buy (or build), and I feel like they're only going to become more and more of a standard must-have tool for terrain and vehicles.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:20:45 PM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 02:29:44 PM »
A panther throw before the fireplace upon which your afghans hounds may lounge while their master is exercising his leisurely activities.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:31:52 PM by Hammers »

Offline rebelyell2006

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 03:46:18 PM »
A spray booth would be really good, but you would need to integrate a fan into it.  Does your basement have any ground-level windows, to hook up ventilation ducts?  You really do not want to breath in paint fumes in an enclosed basement.

Offline dbsubashi

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 03:49:20 AM »
A mini fridge to keep drinks cold...and ample coasters to keep condensation off your gaming table. Plastic cups, either Solo style, or nicer acrylic ones for adult beverages from the mini bar. Plastic so no broken glass. Coffee maker (the classic, or a Keurig or nespresso or a Bunn) with creamer and sugar and plastic mugs. Those on the other wide of the pond may want to include an electric kettle for tea. While the pod style machines will have expensive coffee/tea/hot chocolate, they have easier waste needs, just a thought.

The 2 trashcan thing is a truism. I work in a great game store with 15 gaming tables, but 1 trash can in the front. The back of the store gathers wrappers and food trash like you wouldn't believe... If your friends tend towards beer/craft soda, you may want a third for recyclables, unless you like separating a 2-week old trash bin full of cans and wafting takeout remains... ;)

Offline digid

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 08:33:22 AM »
Storage for completed armies.
Display case with glass for those things you want to display and do not play with often.
Storage for terrain that is open for larger terrain, and has boxes, tubs for your scatter terrain, trees etc.
Storage for supplies, unbuilt armies, projects etc. I like stackable plastic tubs. And have standardized on one size that stacks well.
I have a large roll around mechanics tool box, I purchased from Harbor Freight. I store all my paint, modeling tools, and building supplies in it. Its nice to have it all in once place, and it helps keep everything organized.
A spray booth is a must. I added a dryer vent out the wall and vent mine that way, works great, and weather is never an issue if I need to spray something.

Depending on how many you play with a 2nd table that can be folded down and stored.

Did I mention that you will need more storage!!

Dale