Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:55:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Action on the North West Frontier! Afghan Regular Infantry p.4 (10 July 2018)  (Read 10929 times)

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
Re: Action on the North West Frontier! (a MWWBK AAR)
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 04:14:14 AM »
Figuring that the Pathans needed some artillery support, I've added this gun to my collection:

(to be honest, they probably DON'T need a gun - we've yet to play a game where the guns have had a chance to make a difference!  But then the Perrys decided to start producing Afghans and "oooooo shiny" syndrome happened, and here's the result :) )

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Action on the North West Frontier! Added Pathan gun team p.2
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 07:07:33 AM »
Looks good Bill, very inspiring for me, I'm a right novice with things Pathan...
your gun gives me something to aim for!

::)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 08:54:52 AM »
Good job. Bravo!

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 12:35:26 PM »
Amazing stuff! I love those gunners....great job!
Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 12:53:41 PM »
Nice job on those  :)

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 05:50:20 AM »
Thanks for the comments!!

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 03:16:05 AM »
And now some artillery support for the Afghan regulars!

More info here:
http://willstoysoldiers.blogspot.ca/2017/06/afghan-artillery.html

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
This is a very good job. Bravo!

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
Pathan artillery very colourful. I love it.
Flatpack

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Great conversion job, Will!!!!

When I saw that one pic above, I assumed you had painted up a crew of old Wargames Foundry Afghan regular artillerymen -- which is EXACTLY what they look like!  Little did I know you had converted a crew of Perry Egyptians, using a mix of British forage cap and French carabinier heads!  Fantastic job! (And we will forgive you the Krupp gun in place of an Armstrong -- the Afghan army bought some of their artillery pieces in the Ottoman Empire, so maybe one or more Krupps found their way from Egypt to Istanbul and thence to Kabul or Kandahar.)
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
Thanks for the comments!  As for the conversion, I happy with how it turned out.  But a little research ahead of time could have saved me a load of trouble later (for example, starting with the Perry BIF artillery would have been much less work...)   lol

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
And of course my smug self-satisfaction was to be short-lived...

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?products_id=3686&osCsid=c3el0jderq3393phccc5ll15u5

lol
Ain't it always the way !  lol
Yours look very good anyway  :)

Cheers
Keith

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Cripes... that Armstrong 12-pounder and Afghan regular artillery crew look mighty fine -- too bad I have four 3-gun batteries w/crew of the Foundry versions!

Combined with their recent release of figures for both 30th Bombay Native Infantry (Jacob's Rifles) and the 1st Bombay Grenadiers, this really makes me feel like a grumpy old man.

The Perrys now make almost every single figure -- other than c.1878-1880 RHA limbers and crew, and locally sourced Indian/Afghan limbers w/mixed RA and British Line Infantry crew -- needed to refight Maiwand, so long as you don't mind replacing their Egypt/Sudan Bengal Lancers' lances with swords, to portray 3rd Bombay Light Cavalry and 3rd Scinde Horse... oh, and some figures for the half-company of Bombay Sappers & Miners.  

After toiling for months unto years of conversions to create that same army... I feel like the world has caught up with and overtaken me!

The way things are going... I won't be surprised if the Perrys rise to the challenge and create a pack of Sappers & Miners.  Hell, if they do, I'll buy some myself, to replace my nice but somewhat small Eureka Punjabi Pioneers, and when and if they come out with Gurkhas, I'll buy those to replace my old Foundry Gurkhas.

I know I should just be happy for all the colonial wargamers to come, and especially for the growing boon this Perry range is providing for my own favorite colonial campaign, so... I am going to just look on the bright side and be happy about all these newfound goodies for the Second Afghan War in general and even the Battle of Maiwand in particular.

Thank you Perry Brothers -- heck, you even made a straight-out-of-the-mold figure for Lt Olivey of the 66th, with his bandaged head-wound... which took me hours of piddling away in my garage to convert from an Empress Zulu War Ensign figure back in 2010.  So much better for customers to just pick him up straight out of the little black box!

For any old school Star Trek fans out there in LAF-Land... I admit I feel a bit like Captain Dunsil.

On the bright side, I do get to keep my old version of this army... though how long before I can't control my yearning for even more accurate and better-looking versions of the same units is an open question.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:34:28 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
I'm still very happy with my current Afghan, British and Russian forces - the current forces are a mix of Eureka, Old Glory, Perry, Castaway Arts and Copplestone.  Lovely as the new Perry VLW stuff is, I don't need to replace anything that's already in the collection.

I can supplement the current order of battle, though.

That's completely different.

Just an occasional order, every now and then.  There's some lovely looking Afghan tribal horse, I might get that without breaking the budget.  You know, just a couple (well, three) packs.  Did I say three?  Imeant four.  You know, if I'm making an order anyway, I should really just add one more item....

Right?!?