Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:25:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689737
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Where the Dark Things Gather - 6th post-apoc scenario  (Read 1674 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Where the Dark Things Gather - 6th post-apoc scenario
« on: December 13, 2023, 01:31:16 AM »

I finally got a chance to run my sixth scenario for our post-apocalyptic campaign using Wiley Games' Core Rules. This game has the survivor gangs calling a truce to investigate who or what has been snatching up their night sentries without a trace. After weeks of searching, the Bass Reeves finally are able to follow a trail to a building that looks part research facility, part prison.

At that point, Big Bass took a risk and visited the encampments of the rival gangs in the area. He gave each a sketch of the location and facility made by his scout. He proposed a truce and a joint expedition to the research facility. The goal would be to get their people back, if possible, and find out who and what these creatures were. Not all of the gangs agreed. The Green Dragons' leader Ting was terse, "I will let you leave with your life, Bass, but don't come back. We know it's you taking our people - get lost!" The Barbarozas drew their weapons on him, and it was only the very ugly-looking shotgun he had pointed at the Barbaroza's leader which kept gunfire from breaking out.

Still, five other gangs took up the Bass Reeves offer of a truce. Together, they would do our first truly co-op game. Would the truce hold? What would they find out about the Dark Things? And this place looked like one tough nut to crack - made worse when the unseen chimpanzee scouts in the trees opened up on them!

Read the blow-by-blow of the action on my Lead Legionaries blog here: http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/2023/12/a-truce-was-struck-between-rival-gangs.html

Lots more photos, too! Thanks in advance for any comments...

Mike Demana

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Where the Dark Things Gather - 6th post-apoc scenario
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 06:40:53 AM »
Brilliant! Looks great and sounds like it was fun. Excellent narrative elements.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 07:03:35 AM »
What a fantastic report.

"In addition to the four gorillas with automatic rifles......." had me chuckling loudly. Loud enough to wake my wife laying next to me.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 02:12:04 PM »
Great report, Mike.  Any idea on what's next?  Hunting down more Simian encampments, perhaps?
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2023, 02:36:54 PM »
I haven’t been to the blog yet but the taster on here makes a visit essential. The photos look great and the scenarios is intriguing. I’ll take a look at the blog later today.

Doug

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 01:50:16 AM »
I took the easy way out and linked my blog, I know...  lol  I put a lot of effort into the blog, so hope to get people to check it out. Thanks for the kind comments, everyone!

Jim - I want to do one where they're competing against each other, again. I'd also like to get my ruined city buildings on the table, again. So, maybe some sort of urban ruins scenario with the players competing to find a cache of arms? That would let successful players re-arm figures if they want.

Waiting for inspiration at the moment...  :D

Mike Demana

Offline Kourtchatovium104

• Scientist
  • An atom from alternate realities...
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 01:40:28 PM »
I've read the whole report on your blog, great story and minis!  :)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2023, 08:10:37 AM »
Blog report looks good Mike, the cages are a nice touch and the scenery works very well. Bad day for the Simians.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2023, 11:31:31 AM »
Great looking game and a nice report. Looking fory to hearing of more monkey business in your campaign
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2023, 08:35:25 PM »
Looking fory to hearing of more monkey business in your campaign

lol lol

I think the simians will downgrade to "wandering monster" status for random campaigns. Maybe I will have them show up in response to firing like the Machines do, but with the goal of snatching somebody and running off the table. Monkeys gotta eat, too...  :o

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone!

Mike Demana

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2023, 04:40:38 PM »
lol lol

I think the simians will downgrade to "wandering monster" status for random campaigns. Maybe I will have them show up in response to firing like the Machines do, but with the goal of snatching somebody and running off the table. Monkeys gotta eat, too...  :o

Or if you get another player create a simian gang for him

Online Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2023, 09:33:25 PM »
Fantastic report and love the photo of the model in the tree. Great photography.

I've been away from Post-Apoc for too long and have it slated as a project to heavily revisit in 2024. I need to get back into this fun.

Keep these reports coming.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2023, 01:31:36 AM »
Great game!

You could have a large object of fire falling from the sky able to be seen by all and that hits with a big thud felt by all as well. Landing somewhere in the middle of your no-man's zone. Where all parties involved want to get there first. That should break the trust, not trusting who gets there first will share all of what they have found. It could be some kind of flying machine too. You just have to pick one team that will break the truce. that could be the team that gets the closest wanting to protect what they might find.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2023, 03:13:08 PM »
Great idea, War Monkey! I like that as the bait to draw them into the ruined city...

Now, to figure out what to use as wreckage, and whether it should be a Machines flying craft or relic government state craft...  ???

Mike Demana

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2023, 09:14:40 PM »
Great idea, War Monkey! I like that as the bait to draw them into the ruined city...

Now, to figure out what to use as wreckage, and whether it should be a Machines flying craft or relic government state craft...  ???

Mike Demana

It could be just a worthless ole satellite. Have them get there and they find out it was just smashed to worthless bits. Or there could be just one small object that might be worth something. Maybe old satellite map imaging in a recorder that may point out to other areas of interest. That could help you lead them to new adventures.