Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:51:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: CinC (Chaos in Cambridgeshire)  (Read 7708 times)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: CinC (Chaos in Cambridgeshire)
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 09:48:15 AM »
Really looking forward to seeing your AAR using witch finder general.

Thanks, Vagabond. it will be a while as I currently have no 17th century buildings, working on a graveyard and an inn currently.

Much-Piddling certainly does have a lot of unexplainable nocturnal occurrences going on. The next village over, Greater-Snoring has rumours of evil-doings but we villagers of Much-Piddling dare not venture that far at night to investigate (so far!).

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 12:15:57 PM »
Just had my 1st full game using the Chaos in Carpathia rules and thought I would post it for comments as to how I could improve on the gothicness and horrorness of it.

Vagabond, I was thinking that maybe moving the figures to a sideboard when they enter a building detracts somewhat the focus of the action, thus reducing the dramatic tension and consequent horrorness of it IMHO...  So maybe you will have to build several other buildings with lift-roofs to allow figures to be played inside, and move to a bigger table with lots of friends around, candle lights and the soundtrack of Coppola's DRACULA in the background!  ;)

EDIT: In my personal experience, multiplayer games are more fun with a GM full of shocking secrets to be revealed and nasty surprises for the players!  :)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 12:19:14 PM by dinohunterpoa »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 06:36:29 PM »
Lord Snapcase - is Greater Snoring the village close to Little Trumpington, I think I have been there on holiday  lol lol lol

When your inn is finished it would make a good venue for a game. See Piljie's blog

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/another-night-at-slaughtered-lamb.html

Where he sets his witch finder general games.  :)

dinohunterpoa - and I was so proud of my house plans. :'( :'( :'( lol

I agree with you that house interiors are vital in a skirmish game of this sort.

I built these these maybe 35 years ago, thrown them out once but gave them a reprieve and repainted them, similarly had the ECW figures for a long time and this is their first outing. So utilising the plans they get a new lease of life and I get to game with the minimum of fuss.

Recently I have been doing as you suggest samurai houses, Viking long house, pulp buildings etc all have lift off roofs, and even some have furniture!!!!

Read the other day a comment that was basically "having buildings on a wargames table with the roofs off detracts from the visual aspect of the game"
 I am not sure he was wrong, it certainly made me think about the way I was going with my models.

Would love to game with some like-minded mates but none around here so until I can decode the map you sent me, looks like it will have to be solo for the time being.

Thanks for the comments though, appreciate you taking the time.

Take care out there ;)

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 07:10:25 PM »
Lord Snapcase - is Greater Snoring the village close to Little Trumpington, I think I have been there on holiday

That's the place, you must have had a pint in the Gruntfuttock Arms at Little Trumpington!

Thanks for putting me on to Pijlie's Blog, some great ideas there, I do like The Slaughtered Lamb building and the game that runs inside it. A clever idea.   :)

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 10:30:46 PM »
Thanks for the comments though, appreciate you taking the time.
Take care out there ;)

Vagabond, I'm glad to be useful; you're always welcome! Just keep gaming and posting your AARs!  ;)

Hope you find a nice gaming group soon! I consider myself a very, VERY lucky guy, because I have the same GREAT group for more than 25 years now, PRICELESS!  :)  Even when we were a decade apart by one or two oceans, we somehow managed to keep our gaming universe alive - be it by snailmail (check out the DE PROFUNDIS lovecraftian RPG) or by electronic means!

And take care too... never forget the night is long and full of horrors!  ;)

EDIT: Pijlie's Blog is really AMAZING, a great source of joy and inspiration! Be sure to check out his VSF stuff - he has 3 very nice swashbuckling scenarios that can be adapted very well for gothic horror! (and a marvelous excuse to scratchbuild on or two airships and have battles with flying creatures and inside lost temples full of mad cultists!) ;)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 10:55:49 PM by dinohunterpoa »

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 11:35:19 PM »
Lord Snapcase - I think I saw old Scrotum in the Gruntfuttock Arms, but then I saw his brother, and then I saw his other brother, indeed all the villages looked like his brother, even the women. Maybe a bit of inbreeding don't you know.  lol lol lol

Wonderful pub :o :o

Dino - I've been having some thoughts on how to create a bit more suspense in a solo game will post in a while if I succeed.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 12:58:04 AM »
Dino - I've been having some thoughts on how to create a bit more suspense in a solo game will post in a while if I succeed.

Looking forward to see that, good luck!  ;)

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 06:33:39 PM »
I think I saw old Scrotum in the Gruntfuttock Arms, but then I saw his brother, and then I saw his other brother, indeed all the villages looked like his brother, even the women. Maybe a bit of inbreeding don't you know.

Ah yes, the Scrotum family have always been noted for their fertility, along with their hereditary wrinkled skin! There has been a Scrotum in service at Snapcase Hall since the time of Henry V when young Bob Scrotum first started as an under-under-footman-bottler-bugger.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2016, 10:46:24 PM »
 lol lol lol lol

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2016, 08:00:37 PM »
Ah yes, the Scrotum family have always been noted for their fertility, along with their hereditary wrinkled skin! There has been a Scrotum in service at Snapcase Hall since the time of Henry V when young Bob Scrotum first started as an under-under-footman-bottler-bugger.

Ahem - may I remind your Lordship that Scrotum was originally my bag, so to speak.....?  :D

Doug

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2016, 10:34:16 AM »
Ahem - may I remind your Lordship that Scrotum was originally my bag, so to speak.....?

Definitely your bag!   lol   lol   lol   lol  lol

The wrinklies should stick together! (or maybe that needs re-phrasing!).

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2016, 10:41:10 AM »
Wow! What a fun read and an excellent 'conversion' of CoC to your setting. I think it works well and it all looks excellent on the table. Good job.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2016, 02:23:43 PM »
What a wonderful table and fun sounding game.
When you get some new victims players, they will be in for a real treat.
 :-* :-*

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2016, 05:41:05 PM »
Doug - Mad Lord - I'm getting a little worried about your relationship with old Scrotum, is this an individual or a collective/communal thing.  ::) ::)

Malebolgia - Thanks, glad you enjoyed it, I still have a way to go with the rule set but overall I'm pleased with them.
I think the problem I had with the game was that I wanted the scenario to be an ambush but solo I played the humans doing the ambush, so it was difficult to create enough suspense in the game. However I did enjoy writting it up afterwards. :)

Mason - Thanks for commenting, I appreciate it. I have posted a few AAR's and they are a lot of work which is why I am so impressed with quantity and quality of your output.
I do have a bone to pick though, I have spent literally days reading through your Old West and Strange Aeons threads - think of all the figures I could have painted in that time. lol lol lol lol lol

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 01:17:07 PM »
Doug - Mad Lord - I'm getting a little worried about your relationship with old Scrotum, is this an individual or a collective/communal thing.  ::) ::)

As I recall, I introduced M'lord Snapcase to Scrotum (the Wrinkled Old Retainer of many a noble house) on the Pulp Alley board and his Lordship was so taken by the old boy that he sought to take him into his employ. Fortunately, the Scrotums are a fecund family and there are several of them of a similar age and experience so that there's enough Scrotums (Scrota?) to furnish butlers to various titled gentlemen.

No social event would be complete without one of these dignified servants in attendance. As Sir Gilbert Hill always says "My Balls wouldn't be the same without Scrotum"....

Doug