Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:38:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CinC (Chaos in Cambridgeshire)  (Read 7636 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
CinC (Chaos in Cambridgeshire)
« on: November 13, 2016, 02:52:53 PM »
Just had my 1st full game using the Chaos in Carpathia rules and thought I would post it for comments as to how I could improve on the gothicness and horrorness of it.

Chaos in Cambridge

For the part few weeks strange doings have been happening in Little Piddling in the Marsh. (sorry Lord Snapcase)

First a sheep was found savaged, throat torn out, lots of blood but the carcase was mainly intact. This was put down to wild dogs, foxes or even as one or two of the older folk muttered - wolves.
They knew it was common knowledge that wolves had been eradicated 150 years ago, but in the dark of the night, with the full moon shining, what else could have made that chilling howling.

Then a few nights later 4 of the village guard dogs disappeared without a trace. Great big beasts they were, steady and reliable dogs. Just disappeared into the night! People were starting to get nervous.

When farmer Prendergast’s bull was found dead, again with his throat ripped out, things were getting really scary. This was not the work of foxes or dogs.

Word was sent to the big house.

Finally when Mary Scroggins didn’t return home after visiting her friend in the next village Big Piddling over the Hill, Sir Marmaduke Langdale the local landowner with 3 of his friends and comrades in arms decided they would have to intervene.

Little Piddling in the Marsh on a moonlit but overcast night. The year is 1655, shortly after the bloody Civil War, what evil lurks still in the dark!!!

Views of the village from the south. The inhabitants sleeping fitfully hoping that daylight will arrive sooner than last night, and they will live to see it.

Most of the animals are penned in the fields to the north of the village.

Sir Marmaduke Langdale (ML), Jeremiah Pile (JP) and Baxter the dog are hiding in the hut just in view to the south. Simon Dark (SD) and Jonathan Hawke (JH) who drew the short straw are hiding in the pig pen in the field. It is late and they are all getting sleepy, if they fail their activation 3 times in a row they will fall asleep.

My houses don’t have lift off roofs so I borrowed Geektacticas idea and created 130% ground plans of the houses to place the figures. Sir Marmaduke is in the hut lower left.

This is a solo game and I am playing the humans, so I had a number of monsters allocated a card, with a greater number of counters than monsters so that when a counter was spotted a card was turned over and that denoted if it was a blind or a monster and which monster. Hope that makes sense. Probably not.

The monsters entered the board from here, 8 counters move left through the woods and 2 to the right towards the village. Their objective was to slaughter a goat and escape undetected off the board. The humans objective was to discover who was creating mayhem and stop them.

The wind is blowing right to left, the monsters counters have been moving forward for 4 turns, they can smell the humans but are fixed on the animals up ahead.
Sir Marmaduke has failed his activation for the 1st 3 moves and is fast asleep in the hut as they go past. Baxter the dog is also asleep and because of the wind direction does not smell the monsters and wake.
In the pig pen JH and SD have failed their activation twice and are almost asleep as well, must have been the wine they drank earlier.
Not looking clever for the good guys.

The start of turn 5 and the monsters move forward to within 6”, of the pen, in the dark that is finally insight. JH passed his 3rd activation and did not fall asleep so sees them to be revealed as 2 hairless werewolves (quite rare I believe) a green ghoul and 3 of the village dogs, red eyed and slavering.

Food - thinks the animals and attack.

Shit – thinks the good guys and fire.

JH’s shot goes wide but SD hits the Ghoul, good start I thinks but it shrugs off any damage and keeps coming. Humm not so good.
Savage fighting ensues but even though they are so outnumbered the good guys stay on their feet and even inflict some damage on one of the dogs.
The shots wake everyone.

Just out of camera Baxter the dog erupts from the hut barking a challenge, which is taken up by the howl of a werewolf as it turns to face him.
SD goes down under the teeth of the dogs and claws of the  ghoul but JH remains standing inflicting some minor damage on the other werewolf. It is now odds of 5 to 1, it’s a good job he said prayers before setting out today.

Not a good shot I’m afraid, but the werewolf has charged at Baxter. Sir Marmaduke and Jeremiah emerge from the hut in time to fire at the Werewolf as it charges, they both hit and cause enough damage ordinarily to kill it, but it passes the KO test and carries on (Should have brought the silver bullets). Baxter only has to bite it once and it’s curtains for the werewolf. Not that easy as the Werewolf is 2m high and Baxter is only .4m. Werewolf wins but fails to inflict any damage.

The Ghoul and one of the dogs have left the fight against JH and are going to help against Baxter and co. The remaining werewolf and dog continue the fight and inflict some damage on JH. This is a real ding dong battle, all three of them have now taken damage.

The Ghoul and dog rush to the fight howling, not to be thought slackers ML and JP draw their swords shouting their battle cry, For King and Country (guess which side they were on in the recent war) and attack the abominations. The Ghoul is injured but otherwise the fighting is inconclusive. Not so in the background where you can just see (if you squint) the werewolf has fallen to the keen sword of JH but he is still fighting 2 of the dogs.

A better shot of that fight.

The hairy Werewolf and another dog start to make their way to the fight but …

Richard Howe is looking out of the window and sees the dog, but not the wolf and shoots, hits and causes some damage but not enough.

Whoops, ohh bugger, Richard sees the Werewolf as it passes the window, he is trying to reload his matchlock musket but is shaking so hard (bad Resolve roll) as the outer door bursts in. Just one door between him and destiny, and he just knows that he is not going to get that gun loaded in time.

Meanwhile Baxter has finally bitten the Werewolf in the leg and it is down and out. Baxter moves to help his master Marmaduke.

The fights have finally reached a conclusion, total victory for Marmaduke, Baxter and Jeremiah. Ghoul dog and werewolf lie dead on the ground but disaster for Jonathan Hawke, he has killed one of the dogs but the other one has torn his throat out and he is down bleeding to death.
The dog looks around, all is lost and he runs away.

The final footnote, Ki the hairy Werewolf breaks down the bedroom door and devours poor Richard, before leaving with his hound at heel.

Our heroes in happier times - from left to right Jonathan Hawke RIP. Simon Dark RIP. Sir Marmaduke Langdale. Jeremiah Pile. Baxter the dog would not stand still for his photograph.

These figures were bought and painted last century, if anyone can tell me the manufacturer I would appreciate it, as I would like to get some more if they are still in production.

This was my first full game of Chaos in Carpathia, the fights seemed to last an age, and I amended the rules as I saw fit, especially activation, as this was a solo game my opponent agreed with every change.

If you are still with me – thanks for reading so far.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 03:05:43 PM by Vagabond »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: CinC (Chaos in Cambridgeshire)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 03:20:44 PM »
Great little game  8) 8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 03:39:16 PM »
Lovely stuff. Certainly looks like you had fun!

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 03:39:31 PM »
Lovely board and a lively AAR.  Excellent.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 04:10:51 PM »
Really cool to see ECW horror! Great looking game board, I like all the extra bits, that make it look like a real village.

Its interesting that the rules allow a dog to survive being shot by a musket. I'd expect a very big hole in the dog after being shot by a musket ball. Or are the dogs extra tough as they are undead or something?

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 05:26:02 PM »
Wonderful looking table and a fun game.
The ECW figures there are from Wargames Foundry. Excellent range of figures and still in production, some lovely character figures. They also do a few Gothic Horror types (historical Witch Hunters etc) in their "Casting Room Miniatures" range which are compatible.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 06:55:33 PM »
Great looking table.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 07:28:49 PM »
Really fun looking game! :-*
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 07:42:22 PM »
Beautiful table and a brilliant battle report.
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 09:54:09 PM »
Very, very nice, looking game. Lots of lovely touches and a great scenario. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 12:42:30 AM »
What a beautiful board

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 12:58:01 AM »
Awesome scenery, great minis and AAR, CONGRATULATIONS!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 11:05:44 AM »
JB - OSR - SM - WI15 - MG - M - M - CF - DHpoa

Thanks for your kind comments, very much appreciated. I'm back home for the winter and this was my first game for about 7 months, so looking forward to ODing on gaming.

Mary Scroggins has still not returned home and her body has not been found yet, so maybe Sir Marmaduke will go looking for her.

robh - thanks for the info, I didn't think of WF I suppose because I remember buying these as singles and I thought they had always supplied in blisters. Shows how long ago it was.  lol lol lol

fred - My 1st time out with the rules apart from a trial, so I maybe missunderstanding some things. The dogs were stand ins for wolves and I used the wolf pack stats, wolves have the same vitality (life force) as a man, indeed as most creatures. I used them as individuals rather than used the pack rules so maybe that's where I went wrong, or maybe wolves are one set of tough hombres.  :)

Thanks again

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 06:35:16 PM »
strange doings have been happening in Little Piddling in the Marsh. (sorry Lord Snapcase)

No problem at all, you carry on, dear boy!

A great looking table and a really good game report, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I can only hope that my 17th century horror game looks that good when it's ready to play.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 11:49:10 PM »
I set the table up and started on the storyline and the only name that seemed right for the village was Much Piddling so changed it a bit to avoid a legal suit and as a homage to your games.

Really looking forward to seeing your AAR using witch finder general.