Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:01:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686488
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some 15mm GZG alien cavalry and bugs painted up (added Xar 11/21/16)  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Latest project, some of Ground Zero Games' more recent releases for their "Crusty" alien range.  

Unlike the earlier figs these are bit less obviously inspired by the District 9 movie but I still think they're very well done and feel like they're suitable "homeworld livestock" for the Crusties/Prawns.

Nice crisp castings and plenty of detail.

Hard to find anything to complain about.  I guess it would be nice to have more than one pose of "bug wrangler" for the scuttlers, but you could tap the existing Crusty civilian pack for those if desired.  

Be nice if you could just buy the cavalry mounts by themselves as well (for use as animals/livestock/monsters) but the molds may not make that viable.  Knowing Jon, he might be willing to sell them by themselves anyway if you asked nicely.

Oh, and it would be neat if there was a "packed cargo" bit you could slap on a cav-bug instead of a rider, but that would be easy to kitbash.  I totally don't have one half built on my desk right now, not at all.  :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:04:18 AM by Hobby Services »

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Re: Some 15mm GZG alien cavalry and bugs painted up
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 10:24:05 PM »
Omg!  Those look absolutely amazing.  Now I can't wait to paint up my infantry and order their cav.

I love how you painted the fleshy areas of the mounts in shades of pink.  Brilliant.  That is so inspiring.  :)

PS.  Are the riders and their seats a single piece?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 10:31:28 PM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Some 15mm GZG alien cavalry and bugs painted up
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 12:03:49 AM »
Omg!  Those look absolutely amazing.  Now I can't wait to paint up my infantry and order their cav.

I love how you painted the fleshy areas of the mounts in shades of pink.  Brilliant.  That is so inspiring.  :)

PS.  Are the riders and their seats a single piece?

Yes, the rider and saddle are cast as one piece.  The mounts themselves would look fine without (which I think it actually mentions on the website) since the area where the rider sits is a smooth patch of carapace.  Makes them handy as alien wildlife, and it's easy to imagine the "horsebugs" as a grown-up stage of the smaller scuttlers (no doubt after a pupation cycle or two).

If you like those, there's also this batch of GZG's Xar/"Chitters", fresh off the workbench:

There's at least one of each sculpt from the range there.  And some beauty shots of a full platoon-strength unit:

The integral bases are about the size of a US penny, and the models are almost all 2-piece castings with the torso and leg/base parts separate.  The only exceptions are the gunners on the weapon teams, where the guns are also separate.  They go together easily and are quite posable, since the torso's can be positioned facing pretty much any direction.

Another outstanding set of figures from GZG, and a great addition to the small roster of non-humanoid xenos out there.

Offline No Such Agency

• Scientist
    • Painting Agency
Re: Some 15mm GZG alien cavalry and bugs painted up (added Xar 11/21/16)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 02:40:34 PM »
Nice!  Both riders and creatures here have a convincing organic/chitinous look to them.  The Chitters are impressive too, again a good organic look... and that is a lot of Chitters to paint! 

(I should get around to buying some Crusties some day...  they're really a unique faction despite obviously being loosely based on the aliens from "District 9".)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Some 15mm GZG alien cavalry and bugs painted up (added Xar 11/21/16)
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 10:29:15 PM »
Thanks!  It would be interesting to come up with rules for the District Nine xenos in Stargrunt.  They seem like they'd have some weird morale rules (the run of the mill ones seem kind of fatalistic/unmotivated in the film) and there are all those oddball wonder weapons to make up for what appears to be a lack of formal military training.