Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:55:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689639
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Roots of Magic: a fantasy skirmish game of magical combat  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Grand Arcanum Games

• Schoolboy
The Roots of Magic: a fantasy skirmish game of magical combat
« on: November 21, 2016, 05:19:12 PM »
Hello everyone.

I'd like to introduce the Roots of Magic. It is a 30mm miniatures skirmish game set in the land of Mellorian, home of the Great Houses of Magic. Each House seeks to gain dominance over the others for a range of reasons, and uses a particular style, or Root, of magic to achieve this.

therootsofmagic.com

The game truly is a "low models count" game - we have 1v1 or soon 2v2 options, so its far easier to get into cheaply than many alternatives. The rules and model cards are downloadable for free from the site, so feel free to take a look for yourself.

In summary, models generate a number of actions per game round which can be enhanced by drawing magic energy from fixed points on the table. This action points can be used to fuel attacks or abilities, and they scale - so the more actions you have the bigger the spells can be.

The models are awesome, if I do say so myself ;) And I have worked with some very talented sculptors and casters to produce them.

We are also running a Kickstarter to help produce wave two of the models (wave 1 is 8 wizards and a familiar , and almost fully released). Please check it out and help support the game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/739027318/the-roots-of-magic-miniatures-game-students-of-sor

Happy to answer any questions you may have :)

Des@Grand Arcanum

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Roots of Magic: a fantasy skirmish game of magical combat
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 10:30:35 PM »
The figures look very nice indeed

• Schoolboy
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 09:47:23 AM »

Offline TheCaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 07:31:34 PM »
The models look great and the rules sound interesting. Have you checked out Guerilla Miniature Games? Might be worth it to have Ash post a few demo games on youtube to generate further interest.

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 11:20:27 PM »
That's a fine idea. I met Ash a few times when I used to work in Toronto so I will look into it.

In the meantime, we just unlocked another Demon model. The Demons are scenario play pieces (we have been using appropriately sized markers until now) and this particular one can be summoned into all variants of the game by Suleiman... Via sacrificing his own allies of course!

• Schoolboy
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 11:51:54 AM »
I recently recorded an episode of Flock and Awe concerning the Roots of Magic, for those who may be interested. You can Hear Dave, Kev, and Ryan ask me searching questions (and some nsfw questions too) here:

https://flockandawepodcast.wordpress.com/2016/11/25/roots-of-magic/

The project is currently on 63% with 15 days left to go, so its looking good. Please check it out and share it with your gaming networks :)

• Schoolboy
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 01:48:45 PM »
75% funded, with just over 7 days to go!

We are very close to unlocking this monster:

Its going to be bigger than the last one, just for an idea of scale to our standard 30mm scale models.

I know the market is flooded with games and models right now, but please do consider the game and the project. These fit in with many games or rpgs and are of a high quality. Your backing could be the difference for bringing this project to life :)