Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:15:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Assymmetric engagement  (Read 5916 times)

Offline tobruk

• Schoolboy
Assymmetric engagement
« on: November 22, 2016, 10:32:19 PM »

I like these rules but i have a little problem : how can we play assymetric engagement ?

For example : few french foreign soldiers against  many arabs ?

Is it better to play with same number of units according to you ?

No idea to play with other activation rules in assymetric engagement  ?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my english.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Assymmetric engagement
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 09:52:26 PM »
I too like asymmetrical games. The following holds true for most sets of rules
Recycle the dead from the 'larger' side and bring them on as the second, third, forth (etc) waves. this way you can play 'a few foreign legion against lots of Arabs' without having to buy/paint lots of figures.
As to 'activation'  make a set of random arrival cards. e.g. Unit of Arab infantry arrives on the board, 1 2 or 3  = on Arab base line, 4= left flank 5=right flank 6=behind legionaires.
I hope this helps.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 11:29:24 AM »
Same number of UNITS but not necessarily the same number of FIGURES.

T&T works best with similar numbers of units because of the card activation sequence, does not need exact parity but try and keep them similar.

Figures can be widely different, for the Zulu war a British "unit" can be 8 figures whilst a zulu one can be 20. Similarly for other conflicts with large numbers of irregular troops in battle against smaller numbers of regulars.
You will need to balance the size of your Arab units with the effectiveness.  Do you have the T&T Colonial expansion? as that gives a lot of traits and abilities that can help do this.

That said, T&T is not the right set of rules if you want to play something like Danjou at Camerone.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 05:24:55 PM »
Thanks for jumping in robh. Your post is very much appreciated

At this Camerone thing  I must disagree !

I played lots of T+T games. I tried almost every possible wargames encounter.

Especially the last stand scenarios are working with T+T because the outnumbered player must have fewer units AND men. You will almost have no chance on a win but you will have a lot of fun on a high strategic level because you have to measure out where to defend or where to support and strengthen...witnessed at our Tactica 2nd Afghan War and our Foreign Legion presentation a few years back.

For beginners it is best to have same size, quality and number of units but once you understand the real time mechanism completely you can try out all combinations of games.

In our Foreign Legion game we had a supperior Arab force. Two players against The Legion and some Archeologists !
Linki : http://www.hamburger-tactica.de/?p=5889
Linki : http://www.hamburger-tactica.de/?p=9203

We had exciting participation games. Back in 2008 we had no Colonial Supplement as a support so some rules were missing but the rules worked against odds units and we had tense games. Robh is right when he says that the Colonial Supplement is helpful.

We also played some typical colonial encounters. On a distance european units were supperior against the natives. Even against greater numbers.

If your wargames table is dense with cover, gullys, rocks etc the better for the natives.

But I will not only praise the rules. One thing is a bit complicated. Close combat with larger units needs a bit book keeping. When we wrote the rules I thought its pretty easy but as the rules daddy I am familiar with it. Counting suppression marker plus and minus can be confusing in the heat of battle...so we will improve this on the next edition of Triumph & Tragedy. Other things will also be cleared up.

Anyway...whenever you need help PM or Email me. Ideas are also welcome.

Thank you and best regards
Björn

, ,

Offline tobruk

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 10:30:31 PM »
Thanks for these answers.

We are going to play with Same number of UNITS but not  the same number of FIGURES.

It seems to be a good idea.

I have the colonial supplement and it is a good source of inspiration to play "beau geste"

Cheers.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 07:03:09 PM »
Thats great !
If possible....please share some pics with us and a short report would be cool  :)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 01:38:46 PM »
At this Camerone thing  I must disagree !
I played lots of T+T games. I tried almost every possible wargames encounter.

How would you approach Camerone then Björn? Given 60 vs 2000, with the majority of gamers fielding maybe 200 Mexicans resulting in a 1-10 ratio. Which accordingly gives you 6 defenders.
Would you play 10 units of 20 Mexicans vs Legion as 6 units of 1 man? Or is there a way in T&T of potentially fielding more Legion (say 3 units of 4) but making them less effective to retain the imbalance in forces?

I agree whichever rules you use the Legion can only win an objective based victory not a military one.

I am interested as I have the figures available for a Gandamak 1st Afghan War type scenario but, much though I like T&T, I had discounted using them for this.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 03:37:12 PM »
I wouldnt play a mega large battle
Actually I was thinking of replaying Camerone as one of my new projects for a wargaming convention.

I would not play the square and retreat to the hacienda. I would play the defense with focus on the hotspots.

Gateway
breach
ranch house

The plan was ( I hope my math is right ) 6 units of 5 figures each  ( 30 miniatures representing 60 men ) plus three officers ( Leaders )

The Mexicans have 6 units of 10 figures each ( 60 miniatures representing 120 men ) - If you need more figs you can recycle destroyed Mexican units. The Mexicans can use ladders or fire or a ram.

The Legion will ignore suppression because they can not run and will fight to the death. The Legion is in hard cover as long as the Mexicans are outside the perimeter.

The Legion are all Veterans and will always have initiative although I think no Mexican unit should be better than trained. Maybe one Unit of Veterans. But that has to be tested.

Victory conditions are calculated on a victory bar. Which is affected by killed officers, killed units, objectives, number of rounds played, water and ammunition supply for the legion.

In our last stand games we had volley fire tickets ( cards that were played against the enemy representing heavy defense fire causing extra suppression - to break shaken units -  but after each card the ammo level dropped )...

Anyway what I experienced in my wargaming years is that you can adopt almost every ruleset for the scenario you like to play.
If you are playing multiplayer games you should not use IGUG rules. That gaming mechanism takes too long and will tire gamers during the scenario... But you can use it.

Particular games need some arrangement and special features like the ones I tried to explain above.

What rules will you choose for Gandamak ?

We should exchange our ideas here. Its helpful and inspiring  :)

Cheers
Björn

Offline DavyJones

• Scientist
    • GlueandDice.com - Adventures in small worlds
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 07:02:40 PM »
Counting suppression marker plus and minus can be confusing in the heat of battle...so we will improve this on the next edition of Triumph & Tragedy. Other things will also be cleared up.

Hi Björn,

can you give us some kind of release date for the new edition?

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 08:23:01 PM »
Sorry Davy. I can t yet.