Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:41:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690601
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone playing Broken Legions?  (Read 4578 times)

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Anyone playing Broken Legions?
« on: December 02, 2016, 06:18:15 PM »
I remember that this was being talked about a lot a while ago.
Also, that it took a long time to play and other issues. So I as
wondering if anyone is playing Broken Legions and what do you think of it?

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
Re: Anyone playing Broken Legions?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 08:54:03 PM »
I keep planning on getting the book, probably post Christmas when I have the time and funds to then start work on a project.

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 11:03:08 PM »
I play it regularly and have played 10+ games now.

It is a quick system to play and gives an excellent game. My regular opponent and me have made some changes to the campaign system to ensure that one warband does not get to far ahead. We have increased Presence by one overall as we found it far too easy for even Heroes to become Broken.

Overall our tweaks have been minor and we are really enjoying ourselves. Have a look on my blog for more information.

http://londonbymidnight.blogspot.dk/

Offline agent_pumpkin

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 02:00:51 PM »
I'm not to keen on it. I have the book and have played a few games.

For me the rules dont grab me. They are ok, but I felt like I would rather things worked differently. So I am planning on using the excellent ideas from the book for a 7TV or Pulp Alley Campaign.

If you don't have it yet I recommend you indulge. Its not very expensive and its worth trying for yourself.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 12:38:51 PM »
I was going to start playing it b ut am now thinking about Savage Worlds instead.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 02:45:16 PM »
Got the rules and honestly...I agree with others here, the rules feel unfinished/bland and at the same time constricting, for example:

Customization is at the bare minimum, you have a couple of choices but I found when making lists that i'd find a mini I liked only to see that none of the lists have the equipment options to make it viable.

Romans getting less heroes than other warbands felt off.

The Egyptians forcing you to take a chariot for one hero felt stupid.

The use of 'points'...would it have killed the author to be slightly more fluffy and call the denarii or something!?

Lack of support, I get the feeling that this is it for broken legions.

It had the potential to be truly great but came out very meh I agree, it comes across as something that took him a month to write.

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 08:37:40 AM »
I might be in a minority but this is really a good system. Yes it is not the most revolutionary system and yes in our group we have made some changes, but this does not change the fact that it is a solid system.

The warbands we have played all have a different feel to them. And different tactics will work better with some warbands than others.

The Romans might have the lowest number of heroes but their Praetorians are almost impossible to wound with their heavy armour and large shields. They also have the best regular troops with the Legionary. If you want more heroes you can always take some Auxilia.

The Egyptians (Cult of Set) does not have to take a chariot - they have to take a Priest of Set and Settie Cultist.

In terms of support, there has already been two downloads from the author's website - one for more Auxilia and one where barbarians are split into Celts/Western Barbarians and Germanic Tribes - each with a different feel to them. The author has also stated that he will try to make some material linking Broken Legions with his new book The Cthulhu Campaigns - Ancient Rome. Will this get the same level of support as Frostgrave - I highly doubt it, but I have so far taken 5 scenarios from Frostgrave and converted to Broken Legions.

Not many games I play these days are played straight as the rules are written. We always tweak a bit here and there to get the feel of the setting that we envision. If there is something we think does not work or is missing we add it.

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 07:57:49 AM »

Offline Karadek

• Scientist
    • Xenia Gamers Club
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 04:56:48 PM »
I saw this on the Facebook page, and I love the period, so I've been watching it for a while.  I got the book for Christmas and purchased some minis for a Roman and Barbarian warband.  Hopefully I'll get a game in soon. 

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 12:45:37 AM »
The Egyptians (Cult of Set) does not have to take a chariot - they have to take a Priest of Set and Settie Cultist.

I don't think that's what Kommando_J meant about the chariot, I think what was meant is that one of their hero options is forced to have a chariot.
That leaves 2 foot heroes, the Priest and the Temple Guard and out of them the Temple Guard doesn't even have any options.

Having a Noble on foot with an option for a chariot might've worked better and given a few more customization possibilities.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 06:08:45 PM »
How hard would it be to just add equipment options? I'm sure you could determine a reasonable point cost...

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 01:35:55 AM »
That's what  i meant, in prefer infantry so being forced to take a chariot for one option felt off.

The whole thing feels like a poor mans Mordheim.

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 06:17:07 PM »
The conservation has moved way from my initial question. But, I take it from the postings that some people are in fact playing Broken Legions. ;)

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 06:53:13 PM »
Once a week on average

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 04:08:02 PM »
The conservation has moved way from my initial question. But, I take it from the postings that some people are in fact playing Broken Legions. ;)

Sorry about that.  :D

How hard would it be to just add equipment options? I'm sure you could determine a reasonable point cost...

Far as I can see the equipment costs seem consistent for most part - pilums seem to cost more than javelins despite having the same effect (I'm chalking that one up to Romans putting too much bling on 'em) while cavalry pay more for javelins (which may be due to balancing reasons) so altering them isn't all that hard.

Miracles seem to vary in cost somewhat and the chariot remains a troublemaker as units either start with it or not, no-one has an option to choose & ride it so the exact cost is hidden but it does appear to be high given that chariots are the most expensive warband units, surpassed only by the Lamassu or an actual demigod from the mercenaries department.