Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:53:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690713
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1026
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 'Astounding Tales!' Yahoo group unleashed on the world ---  (Read 3768 times)

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
'Astounding Tales!' Yahoo group unleashed on the world ---
« on: July 14, 2006, 01:39:59 AM »
The Astounding Tales!  team ( just like Doc savage's crew, but even more skilled) has begun a Yahoo Group in honour of the impending release of AT2. here's the ridiculous blurb (sorry, 'valuable information') about it  :lol: :

Astounding Tales! is about Pulp. High Adventure. Men in snappy fedoras and dangerous dames, with blazing .45 automatics in one hand and a knife in their shoe. Chinese criminal masterminds and their minions. Men of Bronze who carry small explosive charges hidden in their back teeth. Beings who wish to destroy the Earth, or at least New York City, or subdue the populace with mind-numbing drugs to do their fiendish bidding.

It’s the world as seen in cheap magazines and low budget movies from the 1920's to sometime in the Fifties, when television and comic books took over. Film Noir, hard-boiled novels, pulp magazines with Charles Atlas advertisements in the back, that sort of thing. A world where most of Africa, Asia and South America are covered by impenetrable jungles, where Southern California is inexplicably dark and rainy, and where most of Canada is under an ice-cap year round. A world where down-at-heel private eyes fight vulgar, flashy hoodlums, but also where heroes – often cunningly disguised by wearing a tiny silk mask, which fools even their closest friends – save the world from ambitious mad scientists, laughably inept aliens and, quite often, the Germans. A world with garish posters featuring a lot of Colt automatics, green gripping monster hands, and women in far too much mascara and far too few clothes for respectable tastes.

This group is about playing Astounding Tales!, expanding and developing the basic system into new areas (Sixties spy romps? Cheesy barbarian fantasy? Victorian Adventure?), sharing scenarios and ideas. And buying drinks for one another in seedy bars. The designer of Astounding Tales!, Howard Whitehouse encourages creative additions and improvements from players, writers, thinkers and apes with pens. It’s not like anyone’s getting rich off this stuff ----

You probably won't regret it too much ---
I do all my own stunts

• Scientist
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 01:42:33 AM »
I hasten to add to the many excellent Germans on this forum that no offence is meant by reference to foiling any evil schemes you might have. Gosh, no. Scheme away!

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 09:22:08 AM »
Aha....Ic....No offense....Too late Howard !

Do you know what really sucks Howard....we dont scare the people anymore !
  :cry:
, ,

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 12:34:47 PM »
I don't know -- your football team looks more dangerous than I've seen it in some years.

But I think it must be easier living in Germany since the Kaiser's minions aren't deploying animated skeletons to do so much of their work. It's all right having them operate machine guns on Zeppelins, as we've seen on Pulp covers, but I wouldn't want to meet them working at the Post office.

Offline Derek Beaufort

• Student
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 02:47:33 PM »
The things I've seen at German Post Offices... At least in Hamburg. Sometimes a Skeleton in a peaked helmet looks cuddly.

Still, I think the Germans now have a great opportunity to scheme effectively, since people are watching other Evil Nations of Dooms like Irakis and North Koreans and Talibans (what? of course they are a nation!!!) and all the mad doctors and would-be evil overlords with monoculars can work under no pressure towards creating the super weapons that will enslave the world. Like robots with moustaches and Lederhosen, called "Doktor Grauentod's Bavarian Legion of Doom".

So, Germans, take your chance and show the world that no Evil Taliban hating our freedom can beat a Bockwurst powered robot.
To be born an Englishman is to win first
prize in the lottery of life.