Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:33:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689659
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Wellington in India suggestions  (Read 4620 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
28mm Wellington in India suggestions
« on: December 06, 2016, 10:57:25 PM »
Latest idea for next year's project is Wellington in India, so predictably my next question is who makes suitable sepoys and Indians?

In 28mm, I know Redoubt has a pretty complete range, and as I'm thinking of Sharp Practice for it I won't need huge numbers of figures, but of course there is the perennial problem of mixing Redoubt with other ranges.

That said, I then discovered Perry have British suitable for India etc 1800 onwards - does anyone make Bengal and Madras Sepoys which would mix in with Perrys? And/or suitable Marathas etc? As I'm under the impression Redoubt and Perry may not be too compatible?

I'm thinking 1st Corps are suitable for C18th, rather than Wellington era?
Eureka Golcanda Rising range, does it exist?
Old Glory Sikh Wars any good? Probably too late.

Indus Miniatures - how do they sit against Perry and are their Sepoys too early for Napoleonic?

As an aside, I'm hoping I can segue some of the units into the invasion of Java in 1811, I know the 78th were at Assaye and Java, so to Madras sepoys, and I can bodge some light dragoons (apologies to the purists!), so whilst I guess I could have Perry-sized Brits against Redoubt-sized Marathas, I want to try to match the sepoys up.

Anyone attempted this, suggestions as to good options?

Cheers

Rob

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
Re: 28mm Wellington in India suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 02:11:51 AM »
The Golconda rising range sold through Eureka miniatures fit well alongside Perry miniatures, and If they are not on their website you could probably email Nic and he will help you out.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 09:03:44 AM »
Hi Rob,AW Miniatures has a new range for this period in 28mm,only Sepoys for the British and turbaned native troops at the moment but Europeans to follow in January I believe,hope this helps  :)
Cheers
Keith

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 12:25:15 AM »
 Fantastic!  What a colorful period to game in.  I think the period has a lot to offer and it is a little more balanced than the NW Frontier with matchlocks versus flintlocks. There is a lot of variety.

There is Redoubt's "Wellington's India Battles" Range though the British Regulars and Mysoreans (Sounds like something from Michael Moorcock) are very large, many of the extras are not.  I wish I knew what scale they were in (like the Cobblestone British from "the Back of Beyond").  The natives with turbans and bareheaded are in 28mm "scale" and should fit in. The cannon on a bullock cart is nice to have.  There are Indus Miniatures that offer Marathas Regulars and Irregulars and Sepoys though I think it is more geared toward the Seven Year's War.  I remember seeing  range in the period a couple years back. (Castaway Arts? I'm not sure.).

I am always on the look out to adding figures to my Armies.  The Reaper Pirates are in the larger scale and I have incorporated them as the European Advisors for the Mysoreans and Marathas.  I finally gave up  couple of years ago and painted up the British in Bicorns as French as I couldn't find any Revolutionary French in that scale.

Hope this helps and isn't incoherent babble.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 01:32:01 AM »
Indus Miniatures ..Maharattas and native indian and Pindari cav..work perfectly for Wellington..as well as there elephants.The English sepoys are for Seven Years War.  redoubt and First corps /Bicorn make time appropriate Sepoys. Eureka makes Mysore Infantry ..perfect for time period and earlier.this would be Tippu Sultans army.son of Hyder Ali Khan. ,they had lots of foreign advisors and tons of Rocketeers.Indus artillery works for Maharattas..bur Mysorians artillery was more European in organization and type. eureka also makes Rajput Cav.,which is beautiful.can be used for av. for hire.Perrys new line of inf. is perfect and Trent minis for the west indies./Haiti as fillers.Hope this helps. first picture is Mysorean Mortar..from eurekas Ottoman line. Next is Indus guns and crew...Next Indus Command Elephant..and Pindari Cav. w/maharatta inf. in blue in the background.,,Next isBritish Sepoys Indus for SYW..and lastly Mysore inf.in sthe Pink turbans and Purple -polka dotted uniforms fromEureka,Rob At Eureka USA has all these on his site..any help I can give ..ask ..I have been painting this SYW india for the last 5 years...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:44:17 AM by juergen c. olk »

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 02:00:06 AM »
Gorgeous looking armies. o_o :o
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 03:11:18 AM »
Thanx Poiters..it's a riot to paint..very colorful.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 04:18:27 PM »
Thanks all, given me some much needed direction.

Love those pictures, if I only had the time and the space!  :D

Offline The Grim Mariner

• Librarian
    • Grimsby Wargaming
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 08:38:09 AM »
Parkfield Miniatures have some excellent 25mm Sepoy & native figures in their ranges.  Prices are more than reasonable too.

http://parkfieldminiatures.freeservers.com/clive%20in%20india%2025mm.html
In wargaming as in life - don't accept cheap imitations

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 06:10:30 PM »
Any suggestion for an book about Maratha army uniforms ?
"The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there ... in peace. War will make corpses of us all."

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 09:16:54 PM »
This sounds fascinating and soemthign I have toyed with.

Only addition sI would add to the above are Iron Duke's recent matchlock musketeer figures and the old foundry Sikh Wars range for Indian irregulars particularly the cavalry.
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Peterem

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 10:09:46 AM »
There's not a lot out there. Wellington in India: A Wargamer's Guide by Charles Stuart Grant and Stuart Asquith is ok. Long out of print but still available second hand if you're lucky. I would think the old Foundry hardback on early nineteenth century indian armies would also be good, but they're rarer than hen's teeth and I've never been able to afford one on ebay. There are also fragments online from a series from the early days of Wargames Illustrated magazine - search on Armies of the Wars in India by Paul D Stevenson - but if I remember correctly the Maratha chapter isn't included. Good luck! Peter