Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:41:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: French Napoleonic, beginners question on regimental structure.  (Read 1260 times)

Offline WimVdB

• Librarian
French Napoleonic, beginners question on regimental structure.
« on: December 07, 2016, 06:07:20 PM »
Hi,
I'm thinking of starting a small force of French 1815 Napoleonic, beginning with a brigade. Miniatures will be Perry.
While checking what I would need, I noticed that there is a pack of regimental command (code FN5) and a pack of battalion command (FN6).

My battalions will be 24 figs strong. What would I need for a regiment consisting of 2 and a regiment constisting of 3 battalions?
Is there a difference in structure for light (léger) regiments?

Many thanks for helping me out!
The unending Battle against the Lead Mountain can be followed at
http://miniwargamers.blogspot.be/

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: French Napoleonic, beginners question on regimental structure.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 03:14:20 PM »
Start here:

http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com

This site has amazing levels of detail.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline WimVdB

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 06:01:39 PM »
Thanks Grant.

I already knew the site, but only used it for uniform information of my soon to begin brigade..
What I'm now looking for is how to build my battalions. I want 24 figures in it, but it's not clear to me how command should look like.
Does each battalion have an officer, fanion bearer and drummer (as in Perry FN6)?
What to do with an eagle bearer and yet another officer (in FN5)? Do they come on top of battalion command, or do they maybe replace the command of the first battalion?

Pictures of Perry French and what's in what blister at https://www.perry-miniatures.com/index.php?cPath=23_28_54&osCsid=iigkn4oi4ds07i15j1nriohts1

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 07:09:54 PM »
Ah.

1st battalion gets the eagle, thereafter fanions.

I like mounted officers on my stands but that's just me.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 07:12:31 PM »
French infantry battalions still used the six-company organisation in 1815, i.e four companies of fusiliers, one of grenadiers and one of voltigeurs. Since you are planning 24-figure battalions, I'd advise stands of four, each four-figure base representing an individual company. This also allows you to accurately depict actual tactical formations on the table - line, column, column of divisions and square. Light and line regiments used the exact same organisation, the only difference being that in light units, fusiliers were called chasseurs and grenadiers carabiniers.

How many command figures you decide to include in your units is up to you : most people will agree that three (officer, eagle or fanion bearer and drummer) is the accepted minimum. If you are so inclined, you may want to add a sapper along with one or two NCO's but that is entirely optional : wargames units are by definition a stylised representation of reality, so I wouldn't get too worked up about what's 'real' and what's not. In the end, what's 'right' is chiefly what's most aesthetically pleasing to you, provided the six-company structure of a battalion is correctly rendered on the table.

As Grand said, bear in mind that only the first battalion in each regiment carried an eagle, so pack FN 5 should be reserved for you first battalion. The other battalions had square fanions rather than eagles and since FN 6 was obviously designed to provide command for two battalions, a single pack will provide enough figures for your second and third btns.

In terms of what you need to purchase for a three battalion regiment, here's what I would recommend :

- 1 x FN 5 (command for the 1st battalion)
- 1 x FN 6 (command for the 2nd and 3rd battalions)
- 6 x FN 9 (36 fusilier figures)
- 4 x FN 11 (24 flank company figures, to be divided into three grenadier companies of four figures each and three similar companies of voltigeurs)    

This gives you a neat total of 72 figures to be divided into three 24 figure battalions, with no wastage or extra miniatures. If you are so inclined, you may want to add one FN 13 and one FN 16 pack to your order to add NCO's and casualties to your units but that's entirely a matter of personal preference. For light infantry battalions, substitute code FN 71 to 74 to the ones mentioned above, or FN 76 if you prefer the later lentil-shaped pompons for your chasseurs.      

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 07:14:51 PM »
I just made mine from the perry plastic boxed sets, 24 miniatures sized being 1 4x grenadiers, 1 4xvoltiguers and 4 4xfusiliers (including command, officer - drummer and standard bearer. With plenty of leftovers for almost another battalion. Think that's more or less a good representation on the tabletop. edit - written while the more than excellent post was posted above
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 07:16:40 PM by Belgian »
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 09:05:56 PM »
Excellent pointers already. I use plastics for the bulk and metals to flesh them out with Regimental command and variety. Particularly valuable if your bataillons are smaller than the plastics box like yours of 24.

Offline WimVdB

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 11:40:29 PM »
Many thanks for all the excellent comments!
I'll start doing my maths now, and check what I would need.