Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:19:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686638
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Late Roman Figures  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Phil Hamer

• Student
Late Roman Figures
« on: December 10, 2016, 05:11:12 PM »
I am looking at putting a Late Roman army together and am thinking about what figures to use. I like the look of Footsore and Ebor Ranges but have just been looking at pictures of the Black Tree Design (BTD) figures and particularly like the poses and the option to have sword armed units.

However, I have no experience of BDT and wondered how well they would fit in with figures from UK manufacturers.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Offline ayak333

• Librarian
Re: Late Roman Figures
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 05:24:51 PM »
Black tree has great sculpts and fit well with most ranges, except certain enormous GB minis

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 11:45:16 PM »
Hi Phil,

The Black Tree are, on the whole, very nice.  The horses aren't the best, though- and some of the moulds are a bit shot.

I did a comparison some years back:- http://bigredbat.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/late-roman-figure-size-comparison-shots.html

Footsore weren't around then- they are towards the larger end, BTD size.  One can mix them, the BTD and GB together pretty well.  I'd probably use Footsore cavalry.

Best, Simon

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 01:06:57 AM »
Pendraken, any day.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 06:11:05 AM »
I've got a load of the BTD figures for sale if you're interested, both armoured and unarmoured send me a pm. They mix pretty well with GB and footsore but I haven't seen the Ebor ones in hand.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 08:08:50 AM »
As nice as Pendraken's 10mm are @FierceKitty ;) there are also some 28mm Late Romans in our scale comparison thread.

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 10:39:13 AM »
I forgot Westwind- some of their minis are very nice and fit in well with BTD, Footsore etc.

Offline Emperorbaz

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 01:59:15 PM »
Westwind, Artizan, blacktree and footsore are all pretty much interchangeable, and the westwind come with seperate heads which gives great variety. Footsore are a big like gripping beast, a bit wooden and lacking detail, yet they seem popular. Foundrys are my favourites bu are a bit smaller than these four. Not seen the Ebor ones yet.

Offline Jericho

• Librarian
    • Plastic Warfare Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 03:39:19 PM »
I've got some Ebor Romans.
They fit well with Foundry and 1st Corps but next to BTD they look very small.
Not really a good fit as I see it.
De hem weert, ic salt hem lonen.

Plastic Warfare Blog

Offline Phil Hamer

• Student
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 07:49:06 PM »
Many thanks for the comments everyone, they are very helpful.

The bonus is that I now know about the "size comparison thread".

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 08:29:39 PM »
Don't forget Crusader Miniatures Late Romans. They are the same size as Foundry. Very nice figures. They do nice sub Roman cavalry as well.

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 10:15:21 PM »
Second Crusader
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 10:31:04 PM by cram »

Offline icedcanid

• Assistant
    • Frostys Kennel
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 09:42:18 PM »
Another one is A & A Miniatures. excellent service and usually do monthly specials.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 12:50:17 AM »
I am looking at putting a Late Roman army together and am thinking about what figures to use. I like the look of Footsore and Ebor Ranges but have just been looking at pictures of the Black Tree Design (BTD) figures and particularly like the poses and the option to have sword armed units.

However, I have no experience of BDT and wondered how well they would fit in with figures from UK manufacturers.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Gripping Beast, Footsore, Black Tree ( and you're right, their Late Roman infantry is very, very good- cavalry less so) and most of the Crusader range can be seen as compatible to each other. I don't mind using them in the same unit and I'm considered a 'size' purist.
The Westwind Arthurian range has a few gems, especially the special sets and the un-armoured infantry. The armoured infantry is so-so.
Gripping Beast also does plastic Late Romans and combined with their Dark Age Warriors set, will give you about 65% of all your infantry. If you add the separate Westwind heads probably 75%.

Curteys has a rather new range of Late Romans/ Arthurian. Again compatible with all of the above but I'm not all that happy with the separate hands.

Don't forget Saxon Miniatures! Their Arthurian range ( of which most can be used as Late Romans) is probably the best on the market now.

Foundry, Ebor and Old Glory are smaller but again compatible with each other. You will however have much more choice in the 'bigger' scale.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done