Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:22:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Company, 1898 Miniatures?  (Read 47516 times)

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
Re: New Company, 1898 Miniatures?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2017, 12:39:33 AM »
Brilliant!

The Spanish colonial conflicts are a much under represented subject in the gaming community. Whilst several ranges do exist the prospect of a committed line of 28mm figures to properly cover the the end of the Spanish Empire are to be much welcomed.

This subject matter is of great personal interest and offers plenty to the prospective gamer, particularly in the 28mm 'skirmish' mode. Often the Spanish-American conflict is seen through the prism of big-battle San Juan Hill and surrounding engagements but there is much more going on. What's more, the Spanish give a very good account of themselves, often in the face of adversity. The hold out at El Caney in the San Juan campaign is heroic by any measure.

It is little known how much of a risk the whole American invasion of Santiago was in 1898 and how easily it could've come unstuck. Beyond the events of Santiago there are numerous what if scenarios that can be put together as well if the inventive player wishes to delve into the planned operations of Spanish American War. Larger forces were being prepared for a major campaign directed at the invasion of Cuba with an amphibious landing and strike at Havana.

Looking to the earlier conflicts in Cuba the book "War and Genocide in Cuba,1895-98 is an excellent source as is Funston's Memories of Two Wars which can be found online for free here.
http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/book/Funston-memories.pdf

Beyond the hypothetical there are many actions that were fought in the Philippines both against the Spanish by the Americans and then the Filipinos against their former ally. From there the ongoing Morro insurgency also offers up opportunities. Amongst many I have, I suggest the book "A Trilogy of Wars" and the "The Philippine War" for excellent details on Spanish colonial conflicts in the Philippines. Add in James Arnold's Moro Wars to that as well - Arnold's works are always a good read.

At a  pinch, the Rayadillo uniformed Spanish can also be used in the Melilla Wars in Morocco, North Africa, to combat the Rifian tribesmen...so you get alot of use out of those Spanish figures in different theatres of operation.

Fingers crossed this range reaches it's full potential so the interesting conflicts of the end of the Spanish empire can hit the tabletop...I'll be getting some for sure...I hope it gets supported as it would seem some good people are behind it ;-)

Cheers

HW

...not 1898 miniatures but a stack of my 18mm Spanish troops..the stripe pattern emphasises a base color and then dark stripes to achieve the Rayadillo look. 28mm skirmish troops will certainly be added now that a more complete line is in the offing.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 12:42:29 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2017, 05:16:39 AM »
These guys would be good for getting their asses kicked in Pohnpei too! I'm still hoping for Moros. That would almost certainly twist my arm to buy both, especially if they are as beautiful casts as these.
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline ecwcaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 02:32:57 PM »
First off, excellent paint job on lovely figures.

Second, I 100% concur with the post from Happy Wanderer, as the entire Spanish Colonial period is greatly overlooked, except for the short Span-Am War. The period where they fought rebels as well as Moros, is ripe with scenario potential, provided of course, you can find contemporary accounts to develop these from (beyond the made-up ones). I'm hoping the guys involved with 1898 Miniatures will be able to glean information that is sitting in Spanish archives and translate it for the rest of us.

To that end, I've been involved with this period for a while now. You can see my first article on the Philippine Insurrection in WI mag awhile back, and two more are in the pipeline to be printed at some point, plus I'm working on ones for the Moro War as well. However, all of these involve the U.S. vs Insurrectoes or Moros, so the welcomed addition of Spanish actions and figures to fight them (along with the larger Tiger minis and those from Old Glory) is very welcomed. Can't wait to see the Moros!

Lastly, opening up the option of fighting the Spanish part of the Rif War is very exciting, as that is a very overlooked colonial period, for which information is also not that easy to find.

Again, very nice figs and great paint job!

Bob G

Offline 1898 Miniaturas

• Librarian
    • 1898 Miniaturas
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 08:16:56 AM »
Just in case someone has missed Rubén Torregrosa aka Heresy amazing job with our minis... ¡Gracias compañero!

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2017, 09:59:35 AM »
Wow.  Those figures are excellent and their paint jobs are just straight up gorgeous.  When there are enough of these Spanish and their American foes to form a pair of armies, I will be forced to do so!
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline 1898 Miniaturas

• Librarian
    • 1898 Miniaturas
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2017, 09:59:15 AM »
And meanwhile we wait for the next batch of news, that will come shortly including Spanish and Filipinos, we improvised a photographic session. Houses from  Barrage Miniatures (available at our online store) and church from Escenografía Épsilon.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2017, 12:58:16 AM »
Pretty cool
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2017, 11:49:53 AM »
Gorgeous figures, evocative setting...lovely execution...

...bravo

...bring on the Cubans 👌👌

Offline 1898 Miniaturas

• Librarian
    • 1898 Miniaturas
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2017, 05:58:09 PM »
Our next batch of new releases will be available next Friday 17th February. It will include Spanish infantry with the standing collar coat and hidden buttons common in The Philippines and the Colonial Infantry Equipment 1897 Pattern given to the last regiments sent to this theater of operations, including those that participated in the expedition of Lachambre Division. This miniatures could be also used to represent the so called “cazadores de Baler”, the famous Últimos de Filipinas.

ESF1-SPANISH INFANTRY COMMAND GROUP IN ACTION, 1897 EQUIPMENT

ESF2-SPANISH INFANTRY FIRING/LOADING 1897 EQUIPMENT

ESF3-SPANISH INFANTRY SKIRMISHING, 1897 EQUIPMENT

This batch will be followed but some codes of Filipinos that could be used either for the Spanish Indigenous Regiments or as rebels, as many of them were deserters who kept the Spanish uniform and equipment or equipped themselves after ransacking Spanish military deposits.

Offline 1898 Miniaturas

• Librarian
    • 1898 Miniaturas
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2017, 09:41:13 PM »
Hola! The first batch of Filipino troops is now available, with which we could represent either Spanish native troops for 1896-1898 or Tagalog insurgents (many of them deserters or rebels with Spanish equipment) to fight against the Spanish or the Americans in the period 1896-1902. A new collection including a limited edition figure complete this batch of releases.

FL1-FILIPINO INFANTRY COMMAND GROUP, SPANISH NATIVE TROOPS

FL1B-TAGALOG INSURGENT COMMAND GROUP

FL2-FILIPINO INFANTRY CHARGING, SPANISH NATIVE TROOPS/TAGALOG INSURGENTS

FL3-FILIPINO INFANTRY SKIRMISHING, SPANISH NATIVE TROOPS/TAGALOG INSURGENTS

FL4- TAGALOG INSURGENTS WITH FIREARMS

THE PHILIPPINES COLLECTION

Includes the tree previous codes of Spanish Infantry with 1896 Equipment for the Philippines, the three Filipino infantry codes (command group FL1 o FL1B to choose plus FL2&3) and a free limited edition miniature, fray Cándido Gómez Carreño, parish of Baler.

Finally, at our website you can find adaptations of The men Who Would Be Kings rules for Cuba and the Philippines wars and a new History article, El Ejército español el Filipinas, by Fernando Puell de la Villa, del IU Gral. Gutiérrez Mellado (only in Spanish).

Saludos!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2017, 11:35:24 AM »
Nice minis!

Will you all be doing any cavalry and artillery?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2017, 11:39:15 AM »
Great figures. Do you intend to produce any American troops?
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2017, 12:11:24 PM »
Question.

All my fellow gamers keep saying the Spanish did not take their flags into combat.

True?

False?  "Gamer 'common knowledge'?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no?

Again, beautiful but no more "large figures" for me.  I need to get rid of so many this year for apartment living in 2018...
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline 1898 Miniaturas

• Librarian
    • 1898 Miniaturas
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2017, 07:00:29 PM »
Nice minis!

Will you all be doing any cavalry and artillery?

Yes, for sure

Offline 1898 Miniaturas

• Librarian
    • 1898 Miniaturas
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2017, 07:01:15 PM »
Great figures. Do you intend to produce any American troops?

In fact the next batch of news will be Americans