Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:59:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 661
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 609
Total: 615

Recent

Author Topic: Rogue One Discussion !!!SPOILERS!!!  (Read 22807 times)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Rogue One Discussion !!!SPOILERS!!!
« on: December 15, 2016, 08:28:16 PM »
Hi all,

Suspect a few of us are seeing this tonight and over the next couple of days - I'm sat in my 20:40 showing as we speak- so I thought I'd start a spoiler friendly thread so that those who haven't seen can avoid.... maybe we should all use this instead of the the ongoing 'trailer' thread?

Anyway, see you in a couple of hours :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 05:14:31 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Rogue One Discussion !!!SPOLIERS!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 08:52:35 PM »
Hi all,

Suspect a few of us are seeing this tonight and over the next couple of days - I'm sat in my 20:40 showing as we speak- so I thought I'd start a spoiler friendly thread so that those who haven't seen can avoid.... maybe we should all use this instead of the the ongoing 'trailer' thread?

Anyway, see you in a couple of hours :)

Have fun watching it :)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 09:12:04 PM »
I know I intend to, but won't be back here for at least six hours from now.

Hope to see you with glowing reports, then!

Doug

Offline huesped

• Mad Scientist
  • "-El Emperador no es tan magnánimo como yo"
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 11:01:15 PM »
Armada players beware!! Lots of potential new ships on the rebel side!!!
:p

Offline Cultist of Sooty

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 11:26:09 PM »
Armada players beware!! Lots of potential new ships on the rebel side!!!
:p
The Armada players will be happy.

Their wallets on the other hand...  ;)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 11:37:17 PM »
Well that's a bit excellent.

So much stuff that I loved - love seeing more civilians, loved seeing imperial 'tech' (the train/monorail/cable car on a track thing was cool). Really dig the idea of revel extremists. It's was slightly grim-dark, or at least gribbly, which I loved - Jedha really captured that vibe that I think of as being very Star Wars where the general populace seem to live an almost medieval life.

Whilst I understand that it can't be the 'best' Star Wars film - it's too reliant on the others to help you understand the plot - I honestly think it might be my favourite. I'll now be spending my free modelling time trying to convert a Baze Malbus! Even the Peter Cushing CGI ain't bad.

Too much to digest!

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 11:58:38 PM »
Well that's a bit excellent.

So much stuff that I loved - love seeing more civilians, loved seeing imperial 'tech' (the train/monorail/cable car on a track thing was cool). Really dig the idea of revel extremists. It's was slightly grim-dark, or at least gribbly, which I loved - Jedha really captured that vibe that I think of as being very Star Wars where the general populace seem to live an almost medieval life.

Whilst I understand that it can't be the 'best' Star Wars film - it's too reliant on the others to help you understand the plot - I honestly think it might be my favourite. I'll now be spending my free modelling time trying to convert a Baze Malbus! Even the Peter Cushing CGI ain't bad.

Too much to digest!

Have to disagree with you on a small detail - Peter Cushing CGI isn't band except for its first appearance. The first time he really looks like something out of Star Wars Rebels, there's some kind of problem with the texture of its skin. But the other appearances - far shorter ones - are way better.

As for the grim-dark, I loved the small details like the stormtrooper that's riding in the prison transport with Jyn Erso, with its armor all dirty and banged-up.

And the scene with Darth Vader in the rebel ship...damn. That gave me goosebumps.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 12:11:41 AM »
The labour camp transport! Really got the 'garrison' feel of Storm Troopers in this film.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 12:16:15 AM »
Just got back from seeing it. I'm more excited by Rogue One than I was by The Force Awakens. Be interesting to watch this back to back with A New Hope.

That Vader scene was superb. I didn't mind the Tarkin CGI, but I felt the voice wasn't quite right. Also, there was something about the Leia CGI that didn't look right - can't put my finger on it though.

Lastly, I think I spotted The Ghost twice and General Syndulla was mentioned - either Hera or her dad I guess.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 12:24:33 AM »
Just got back from seeing it. I'm more excited by Rogue One than I was by The Force Awakens. Be interesting to watch this back to back with A New Hope.

That Vader scene was superb. I didn't mind the Tarkin CGI, but I felt the voice wasn't quite right. Also, there was something about the Leia CGI that didn't look right - can't put my finger on it though.

Lastly, I think I spotted The Ghost twice and General Syndulla was mentioned - either Hera or her dad I guess.

Yeah, there's at least 2 shots of The Ghost - one in Yavin and during the final space battle. The problem with Leia is the voice/mouth coordination. But that final scene was a pleasant surprise and a very nice way to tie it with the "A New Hope".

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 04:10:27 AM »
I didn't mind the Tarkin CGI, but I felt the voice wasn't quite right.

For me, the character CGI never stopped being CGI, but in the case of Tarkin, I did accept it and it didn't distract. The tech is not quite there yet, but my enjoying it that much was a revelation. To tell the truth, I had more issue with the voice, and I don't mean coordination. The voice actor totally lacked Cushing's presence and crisp quality.

The movie as a whole: I'm not a young man in his twenties, as I had to remind myself as I waited for the same Star Wars magic to occur. So I stopped waiting for it.

And then it snuck back in. And for a few moments here and there, I was that young man again.

Doug

Offline huesped

• Mad Scientist
  • "-El Emperador no es tan magnánimo como yo"
Re: Rogue One Discussion !!!SPOILERS!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 07:42:54 AM »
I mostly agree with you all,  the dark and dirty of war actions, whichever the side, the sw rithm in the battles, jeddha and its folks....but i missed lots of scenes that appears in the ads.many of them dissapeared of the final cut??!

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 10:29:35 AM »
So much inspiration here, weird but this was first and foremost a war movie - probably more so than the others. the security complex scenes with the space battle reminded me pacific war movies - Iwo Jima, Beach Red etc but with blasters was stormtroopers, great stuff

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 10:41:12 AM »
I havent seen it and i wont in 3D.
I cant stand watching a full film with those stupid glasses that gives me headdaches and my eyes get pretty tired after 10 or 15 minutes.
For the look of things (comments) its probably the best (in action) film from all.
Anctious that these bastards passed it in normal format.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 11:26:55 AM »
I havent seen it and i wont in 3D.
I cant stand watching a full film with those stupid glasses that gives me headdaches and my eyes get pretty tired after 10 or 15 minutes.
For the look of things (comments) its probably the best (in action) film from all.
Anctious that these bastards passed it in normal format.

Certainly here (Manchester) it was showing in 2D at the AMC, I don't like 3D either - doesn't work with my lazy eye! Don't think IMAX always means 3D.

Really agree with Psullie - seemed to be the most 'war' film of the lot. Off again on Saturday - can't wait!