Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:58:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686601
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley - Cohoperative leagues?  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
Pulp Alley - Cohoperative leagues?
« on: December 17, 2016, 11:45:49 AM »
Hi,

I'm planning to start the Tomb of the Serpent campaign.
At the club several people are interested.
I'll take the "bads" as the master, and they'll take the "goods", that is the leagues.

How is possible to field two (or more) allied leagues against the master?
To balance the scenarios do I have to double their enemies?
Anything else?
Anybody has previous experiences about this matter?

Thank you!
Marco

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
Re: Pulp Alley - Cohoperative leagues?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 11:55:05 AM »
Just tell them there can really only be one winner! If my group is anything to go by, they'll do quite a good job of making life difficult for each other!

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 12:03:26 PM »
Blacksoilbill,

yes, if they have to be competitive among them.
But I would like that they'll be allied against the master (me).
So ther leagues have to cohoperate toward the goal of the campaign.

Anyway, thank you for your suggestion, :)
Marco
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 12:15:12 PM by Remgain »

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 01:47:23 PM »
Sorry, my misunderstanding there! Hope you find some useful tips.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 07:05:24 PM »
With my, albeit limited, experience with the game, I'd say it would be sufficient to double the enemies, and tell the players that they are allied. Should pose enough opposition, IMO.

And remember to play those Challenges to ruin their plans early on  ;)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 07:14:12 PM »
Thank you Argonor! lol

Anyway, I'm waiting for Dave's and Wolf Girl's suggestions! !!! I know that they're lurking.

Marco

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Re: Pulp Alley - Cooperative leagues?
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 08:34:01 PM »
I have a related question. Sometimes, in multi-player games of Pulp Alley, it may suit some leagues to declare a temporary truce, so that they can concentrate on a mutual enemy. However, as the rules are written, it would seem that their respective characters might continue to be the "nearest target", even though they ought not to shoot at one another while the truce lasts.

Thus, it would be nice to see a Pulp Alley rule that allows the characters of a league to "cease fire" against a designated league, while continuing to target other leagues' characters, at least until either league decides to end the cease fire or break the truce...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Pulp Alley - Cooperative leagues?
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 08:44:52 PM »
I have a related question. Sometimes, in multi-player games of Pulp Alley, it may suit some leagues to declare a temporary truce, so that they can concentrate on a mutual enemy. However, as the rules are written, it would seem that their respective characters might continue to be the "nearest target", even though they ought not to shoot at one another while the truce lasts.

Thus, it would be nice to see a Pulp Alley rule that allows the characters of a league to "cease fire" against a designated league, while continuing to target other leagues' characters, at least until either league decides to end the cease fire or break the truce...

What holds you back? It's your game - make as many rules amendments as you like. I don't play many games for which my games buddies and I do not make some adjustments to suit our approach to the subject.  :)

Offline Dangerboy

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 10:32:20 PM »
If you're playing with one member of the group as the GM (the serpent) versus the rest of the gaming group (the heroes), then Tomb of the Serpent is already structured to allow leagues to cooperate later in the campaign. Only chapter 2 has scenarios that allow players the option to pit "hero leagues" against each other, and those default to player versus GM. There are also some simple rules in chapter 3 for two to three players combining leagues into larger parties, with the GM multiplying his forces by the number of players.

Have a look at the chapter 3 intro, under "Co-op Scenarios" for the details.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 11:26:46 PM »
Just sitting in to see all the suggestions - I am always looking for this kind of rulesets  ;)

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 04:52:13 AM »
Remain, I think Dangerboy covered it pretty well. Let us know if you have other questions....

If you're playing with one member of the group as the GM (the serpent) versus the rest of the gaming group (the heroes), then Tomb of the Serpent is already structured to allow leagues to cooperate later in the campaign. Only chapter 2 has scenarios that allow players the option to pit "hero leagues" against each other, and those default to player versus GM. There are also some simple rules in chapter 3 for two to three players combining leagues into larger parties, with the GM multiplying his forces by the number of players.

Have a look at the chapter 3 intro, under "Co-op Scenarios" for the details.

Here's how we do it....

1. Trusted - One or more leagues may declare they are forming a party BEFORE the start of the scenario. If they do this, they count as friendly - not as "enemies". In this case they can not attack each other at all - but they still count as separate leagues.

2. Not Trusted - After a scenario starts, players may choose not to fight each other during a scenario for whatever reason. However, this does NOT change who is an enemy or friend. The fact that this agreement can be broken at any moment means the characters are on edge are not likely to trust each other. So they cannot simply ignore a potential enemy if they are close.

Actually, this sort of ad hoc alliance happens fairly often in 3+ player games. One of the reasons we don't allow the sides to simply ignore their previous enemies is to maintain a bit of scenario balance for the guy that is suddenly getting attacked by 2+ leagues.   ;)
So if you want to be "friends" - just state it before the scenario starts. And if you don't state it before the start, you don't get to ignore that suspicious looking guy following you with a gun.  lol lol

Anyhow, that's how we do it. As always, you are free to do it different.

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 03:29:19 PM »
Wolf Girl, and Dangerboy, explained my question very well.

I have another question.
When several leagues are cohoperating, how many cards are dealt?
Only one hand?
One hand each to be used only for this league?
And the master how many cards receive? The same amount of the total of the leagues??
Other?

Ciao,
Marco

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 09:32:02 PM »
Wolf Girl, and Dangerboy, explained my question very well.

I have another question.
When several leagues are cohoperating, how many cards are dealt?
Only one hand?
One hand each to be used only for this league?
And the master how many cards receive? The same amount of the total of the leagues??

Marco,

We do not change the number/use of cards at all. So each player gets the same number of cards as normal. If a GM is also involved then they get cards as normal as well.

It is worth noting that the Fortune deck is already designed for this type of scenario. Be sure to note the difference between cards that can be used on your own model, a "friendly" model, an enemy, or any character.  ;)

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 08:07:18 AM »
Thank you!

Everything is clear now! :D

Marco

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 03:05:57 PM »
Remgain, let the players create/choose their leagues - each with secret objectives and personal goals - and let them get into action as chaotically as they like, with FREEDOM to create and break alliances as they progress! The less a set of rules gets in the way of their behavior the better, IMHO. CHAOS is always a welcome and FUN thing anyway!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 03:08:53 PM by dinohunterpoa »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)