Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:27:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690594
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Now this is Heroquest...  (Read 10180 times)

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
Re: Now this is Heroquest...
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 02:01:55 PM »
Sorry to piss on the parade, but does the sculptor actually have permission to use the copyright?

Offline mrgrigson

• Librarian
    • The Overloaded Queue
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 02:14:07 PM »
If I understood his previous posts on the subject properly, they're for his own use and he will not be casting them. So no copyright issues, just a whole lot of trolling of the folks who claim to own the license now.

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 02:17:33 PM »
Damn... I swore off KS, but these are beautiful!

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 02:25:59 PM »
If I understood his previous posts on the subject properly, they're for his own use and he will not be casting them. So no copyright issues, just a whole lot of trolling of the folks who claim to own the license now.

So there isn't actually going to be a Kickstarter then?

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2016, 02:27:03 PM »
Sorry to piss on the parade, but does the sculptor actually have permission to use the copyright?

I saw in the comments that the sculptor is looking for a partner to produce the miniatures. They will probably go the same way they did with Boris' not-Diablo2 miniatures - they will just change the name. Many of the figures sculpted here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darkart/devils-dungeon-nightmare-creatures are very similar to what was in the diablo 2 video game. There is just no mention of 'Diablo' in the official description of the project.

Likewise, I should think as long as they are not officially sold as 'Heroquest' miniatures, they should be fine. I don't see how any company could claim copyright over a shirtless barbarian with a sword, or a dwarf with an axe...
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2016, 03:24:25 PM »

I'm going to guess not. I think the copyright holders of the original game are unclear, and if he doesn't use the original trademarks, then he should also steer clear of heat from the Glorantha people.

HOWEVER...

The artist in the OP's image is a chap called Les Edwards, who I think is this guy: http://www.lesedwards.com/galleries/fantasy/101/ (he did the poster for Hawk the Goddam Slayer!!!)

Now, you can argue until the cows come home about the right/wrong of copying something from a defunct game with an expired licence, BUT copying an artist's work without permission? That's not cool, and I would certainly like some reassurance about Mr Edwards' stance before committing to buy.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 10:39:14 PM »
I'd buy a set if they're in metal.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2016, 04:21:46 AM »
Well, one thing for sure.

That dude can sculpt!

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2016, 06:45:40 AM »
Those figures are just asking for someone to make a diorama of the Heroquest cover of them.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2016, 07:25:50 AM »
Ha - cool!
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2016, 12:46:29 PM »
And here I was, all set to eventually buy the Statuesque Miniatures heroes when I start my updated hero Quest project (which has been in the works since forever ::) ). Thing is, whilst obviously being beautiful miniatures, they never convinced me 100% as Hero Quest replacements. How suitable as they are (and obviously aimed at exactly that spot), they just don't feel 'right' to me, if you know what I mean.

But these... :o

The only minor gripe I have is that he chose to sculpt the heroes on the box cover, and not the same heroes on the character cards. Those have less dynamic poses, more in line with the original minis, and in my opinion would be more suited as gaming pieces. You know; barbarian holding his sword up at the shoulder, dwarf resting his hand on his axe, sorceror raising his hand, elf at a 'ready' pose...

But nothing of that will prevent me from wanting these new sculpts! They will have to be in metal though, as all the other minis I have collected for Hero Quest 2.0 (my own version, of course) are metal as well...  ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2016, 05:43:27 AM »
Now, you can argue until the cows come home about the right/wrong of copying something from a defunct game with an expired licence, BUT copying an artist's work without permission? That's not cool, and I would certainly like some reassurance about Mr Edwards' stance before committing to buy.

Les doesn't necessarily own the IP for this art. For all we know, he could have sold the whatever rights as part of the compensation he received for the painting. Or not. I do know that, for the Up Front box art, the artist's contract (?) only allowed the art to be used for the physical box (or something to that effect) and not the recently released electronic version on DriveThruRPG (or whatever site it's on). I'd say the sculptures are clearly based on the box art, but I'd assume the owner of the IP would have to seek a C&D or other legal action, which may not necessarily mean the figures could not be made. When Miramax told CMON to rework two miniatures, CMON complied but the miniatures still looked close (eg. they gave the female a beret or something). Despite the number of armchair hobbyists who practice law, I haven't seen these sort of things go to court. The court would decide if the sculpts could be made as "derivative work" or whatnot.

Still, after Up Front, where the creator spend legal fees mysteriously equal to the amount of money raised from KS -- then left the country -- I'm not all that interested in anything that even remotely may be involved in a legal tussle.
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline SiamTiger

• Librarian
  • The collector of many things
    • Chaosbunker - Lots of Lead, Plastic and Ideas
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2016, 07:51:14 AM »
Noted for the 2017 wishlist.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2016, 08:54:41 AM »
When that dwarf is finished winding up and let's loose he is going to split something right down the middle. Be it troll, orc or goblin.

Grimm

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2016, 07:32:42 PM »
They're beautifully sculpted and wonderfully evocative of the originals. Regardless of whether they're legal to reproduce or sell, they're a joy to look at. (I hope he can find a legal way to offer these for sale. Good luck, sir.)

And I'll be looking for anything else Mr. Simiano is sculpting, too.
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."