Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:53:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690526
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Congo Crisis 1960s - Step 1:Inspiration+Step 2:The story+Step 3: Opposing forces  (Read 6938 times)

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
Following this with great interest, always wanted to do this conflict.

I'm a 15mm Modern Africa player and I doubt I'll shift up a gear to 28mm; so I went to look for relevant 15mm stuff after reading this and found this bloke's website (no hijacking intended):
http://sapperjoeswargamingtoys.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/15mm
He details what he would use having travelled this way before and shows a very nice 15mm Swedish KP-bil m/42 on Shapeways...eye watering price though at £23.00.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Congo Crisis 1960s - Step 3: Opposing forces - Ireland
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2017, 08:26:30 PM »
Opposing forces

UN ONUC forces - Ireland

Ireland contributed with some 6000 men to the ONUC force of which 26 fatal casualties during 1960-1964. 9 of these men died in an ambush where Baluba tribesmen attacked an Irish patrol in Niemba. When the Irish arrived in Congo they had obsolete equipment ill-suited for tropical warfare. However, they soon adapted and the uniform used was the same “Indian uniform” worn by the Swedes and most of the other contributing nations. Headgear was also the blue beret, blue cap, blue helmet liner and M1 steel helmet (even if a mix of British WW2 helmets were used in combination with the M1). Lee Enfield .303 No 4 rifles were replaced by FN FAL SLRs in 1961 but in photos a mix of these two can bee seen. In addition Swedish Carl Gustaf SMG and Bren LMGs together with Vickers HMGs and 60mm mortars were also included in the arsenal. Thompson Ford MK6 Armoured cars were used (2 of these were at Jadotville).

My first Irish!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:56:51 PM by traveller »

Offline Macconermaoile

• Student
I came across a great action for a scenario in Rose Doyle's book.
The Gendarmerie set up a roadblock on the main road between Elisabethville and the airport. The Gendarmerie dug in at a roundabout in company strength, with an armored car and mortars in support.
The attacking force consisted of an Irish platoon, a 20 strong Gurkha platoon, 2 Irish armored cars and a Swedish  APC. This force was commanded by an Indian officer.
The plan was for the Gurkha's and Armor to attack across open ground and the Irish to give covering fire from a ridge on the flank.
The attack bogged down as the armor was blocked by obstacles, and the Gurkha's took heavy causalities, 8 wounded and the officer in charge killed. The Irish officer in command of the armor attempted to organize another attack, this time with the Irish attacking and the Gurkha's providing covering fire. However he could not communicate with the Gurkha's. An Irish Carl Gustaf 84mm team managed to knock out the armored car. 1 Irish soldier was wounded.
During the night the Gendarmerie withdrew and left 22 bodies and a knocked out armored car behind.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
looking great

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Very interesting.

Also explains the film I noticed on Netflix.

Thank you.

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
Great Work :)
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
Gents,

Are any of the Mike Bravo Miniatures suitable for this period? Or are any planned for the future?

Cheers

Happy W

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Gents,

Are any of the Mike Bravo Miniatures suitable for this period? Or are any planned for the future?

Cheers

Happy W

Some of the Zimbalawi range are definately useful and he is also planning dedicated miniatures for Jadotville:

https://www.facebook.com/mikebravominiatures/

Offline Mike Bravo Minis

• Librarian
    • Mike Bravo Miniatures' Blog
Traveller beat me to it. Our Wild Geese line may be of interest (although aimed squarely at hollywood in terms of accuracy) and there are plans for at least some dedicated Jadotville/Congo figures starting with a few packs to cover Irish UN and Katangan mercs/Gendarmes.  Expansion thereafter is dependent on funding.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
For some great articles and Photos ..check out the CJb3 Jeep site on Facebook..which will direct you to their website.