Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:28:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fireforge Plastic Medieval Scandinavian Infantry  (Read 10549 times)

Online Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Fireforge Plastic Medieval Scandinavian Infantry
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 04:53:21 AM »
Well those certainly caught my attention.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 07:15:55 AM »
Nice idea. But the execution looks crude as hell. These remind me of Old Glory figures from about 20 years ago. Let's hope these are just WIP shots and there is some finessing yet to be done.
Other than that, let's hope the very enterprising and admirable Fireforge Games change their sculptor, as North Star have recently done with their plastic Frostgrave line. Because the step up in quality that can be achieved is very marked...
Honestly, I think this sculptor - variously employed over the last few years by Fireforge, North Star, Gripping Beast and Conquest Games amongst others - is getting worse  :(

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 09:13:56 AM »
Indeed they have to rework them to make them really useful without major surgery to alternate the poses. That can be done with plastics and a sharp blade but takes a lot of time . So as long as Fire Forge doesn't change them I probably won't buy.
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 09:53:47 AM »
Well we are a tough bunch to please... You've got to feel sorry for the producers of plastic wargaming boxsets- practically everything previewed is pulled apart by us, before it is even finished!!

I agree that these look a bit iffy but, I know that I've seen plastics that look awful in the preview stage but are much better when released. I agree about the mace arm the style of which appears in a lot of the plastic kits in slightly different forms carrying a heavy object in a way someone just wouldn't, it just about works for swords (as in the gripping beast plastics) but it creates a slightly unsatisfactory pose where the animation of the figure is 'unresolved' kind of like looking at an inbetween frame in animation constantly when it would be better to look at the beginning, the end or perhaps one of the key frames of the action.

What often baffles me about plastic kits, is there are often some good arms to create decent poses, and then a bunch of half bothered ones.... Maybe its so we all buy extra kits?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 10:31:50 AM »
Well, the Frostgrave Barbarians are remarkably better sculpts compared to the Frostgrave Soldiers (still not bad), while Fireforge seems to lose quality as they go. Their Crusader kits are fine, but the recent Russian infantry look rather crude with strange poses, and these look to continue that tradition.

I love the style, and if the minis were good they would be great for my interests, which is Frostgrave and Game of Thrones, but the WIPs do not instill a lot of confidence.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 11:25:44 AM »
Those heads...  :'(
Not impressed at all by those plastics.
I totally agree with the comments about recent designs of the named manufacturers, models are a hit and a miss. Especially the Saga sets, about 35% is decent enough to use without tarting up but the militia types are mostly just dollies randomly dressed in greenstuff. The Pagan Rus especially, personally I wouldn't dare to release those...
Leadhead

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 11:58:58 AM »
I there a name for the way they want their miniatures to look like? They must be going for some sort of look that someone likes.  Or is it just people on this forum that don’t like them? Judging by the names on their boxes, this would be my miniature pusher, but it’s not. I bought their sergeants but had to cover then up in big units of Perry´s for it to look acceptable.   

Most if my painting efforts are spent painting medieval Scandinavians,  but I don’t think this set is going under the Christmas three. 

Sorry Fireforge but as they say in my native tongue: “det er en ommer!”

Cheers and a merry Christmas to you all.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 12:18:51 PM »
Well we are a tough bunch to please... You've got to feel sorry for the producers of plastic wargaming boxsets- practically everything previewed is pulled apart by us, before it is even finished!!

I'm not sure that's entirely true, although we are indeed a critical bunch...  :)
The previews of the Frostgrave barbarian set were greeted with almost universal acclaim, because they looked great - and indeed proved to be great. Ditto almost every set the Perrys have produced, and Victrix too in recent times.
I'm afraid it just comes down to the quality of the sculpting, whether it's metal or plastic, and these look pretty dire. Just look at the hands  :o
Ironically the earlier Fireforge sets were better... Such a shame...

Offline Tordenskjold

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 06:28:46 PM »
I own the Fireforge Russians and I have to say they are bloody terrible. Soft details, poorly fitting pieces, static one-piece bodies, off-scale and I don't consider myself too scale picky. One detail that really stood out for me was how they all have sheated swords molded onto their bodies in a way that makes it impossible to remove them yet also have mostly arms with drawn swords as weapons!

These unfortunately look like more of the same. A shame really, the subject matter is interesting.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 08:20:54 PM »
That's a real shame as the idea of these is attractive (as were the Russians).  Lazy sculpting doesn't do them any favors.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 11:16:09 PM »
Rubbish. The most well researched armour of the period is the Gotland armour and I see precious little of that represented.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 11:30:29 PM »
Another miss from Fireforge, then. Saves me the money, though...  ::)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 09:38:38 AM »
Yeah, they do save me quite some money with their recent offerings. Their resin Mongol heavy cav e.g. , not only look their horses way off ( besides the fact that those are too big ) but also the quality of the Mongol riders is below par. A shame really, especially now that there are many competitors all over the market so we're spoiled for choice...

Offline Suetonius Paullinus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 11:33:34 PM »
Wow..this really does read like a TMP thread  :(
Okay, I'm not a scolar or remotely interested in Scandinavian medieval armour at all so I can't judge the accuracy (but I still get a box for Frostgrave).
However, the FFG plastic Russians are really not as bad as some here say they are.

@Tjorskold
My Russian sprues have each *one* sword arm and the swords sculpted to the bodies are really easily altered to match..
And what's wrong with the scale??
As for the details and fit they are not better or worse than others imho. And I've got a lot of plastics  ;)

I'm not saying they are the best figures in the world but c'mon..

Merry Christmas

SP