Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:52:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fireforge Plastic Medieval Scandinavian Infantry  (Read 10545 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Fireforge Plastic Medieval Scandinavian Infantry
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2016, 06:48:35 AM »
Wow..this really does read like a TMP thread  :(
Okay, I'm not a scolar or remotely interested in Scandinavian medieval armour at all so I can't judge the accuracy (but I still get a box for Frostgrave).
However, the FFG plastic Russians are really not as bad as some here say they are.

@Tjorskold
My Russian sprues have each *one* sword arm and the swords sculpted to the bodies are really easily altered to match..
And what's wrong with the scale??
As for the details and fit they are not better or worse than others imho. And I've got a lot of plastics  ;)

I'm not saying they are the best figures in the world but c'mon..

Merry Christmas

SP

"TMP"? Gloves off eh? ;-)

I think that images makes teh argument. The fellow loks like he is draped in chicken wire, not ring mail.

Offline SiamTiger

• Librarian
  • The collector of many things
    • Chaosbunker - Lots of Lead, Plastic and Ideas
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2016, 07:57:30 AM »
Hmm, I get the point about the chainmail, it is indeed a bit weird, but the gaps can be easily filled with green stuff. Something that you have to do with the Gripping Beast Saxons / Vikings as well.

But never the less, it goes into the right direction.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2016, 11:26:17 AM »
It's worth being critical. I would have loved to buy some of these style minis if they were done by say the sculptor who did the Frostgrave Barbarians. Clearly it is possible for a smaller company to make a better quality product without having in house sculptors on the Perry level.

I would have bought the Russians as well if they looked at least decent, but I think they look plain bad. Just smack a comparison photo of some Perry Agincourt french, some Frostgrave Barbarians or some Victrix ancients next to the mini above and the difference is obvious.

Offline Tordenskjold

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2016, 12:27:01 PM »
@Suetonius Paullinus: I'm not here to take away from your experience or tell you EVERYTHING YOU LIKE IS WRONG!!!  ;) I had a different experience than you with these minis and I wanted to share that.

To add some balance to my previous assessment, here's what I like about the minis:

1. loose Dane axes and spears. Loose weapons allow for greater flexibility in conversion work and Dane axes are something I haven't seen in any other plastic kit (maybe some Gripping Beast kits have them, I don't know).

2. the shields are nice. The decorated 'teardrop' shields are really good, and will find lots of uses in my collection.

3. the heads are unusual and useful. They can do double duty for vikings, medieval Scandinavians, Byzantines and even Arabs etc.

I still hold the detailing is downright shoddy, and scaling is all over the place. The bodies are slightly smaller than  Frostgrave, bigger than Gripping Beast, and the weapons range in between smaller than Gripping beast and bigger than Frostgrave.

Still, at the end of the day it's all about what works for the individual collector/gamer. And if these minis work for you then I won't spend anymore time arguing my point.

Offline Suetonius Paullinus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2016, 01:49:39 PM »
Well yeah. Let's agree to disagree. Plain bad is something I'd expect as a label for some of the older WGF sets but I do think it's not justified in this case. They are certainly not the best plastics on the market but work nice enough for me.

In any case I'm glad the lads at Fireforge Games are doing what they are doing and I won't bash their work. I can see room for improvement and I'm sure they can/will as well...once they've got the necessary funds  ;)

Cheers

SP
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 01:51:55 PM by Suetonius Paullinus »

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2016, 01:56:41 PM »
You game him a pretty nice pj with lovely dark, colours. Really like that small warband  :).
Leadhead

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2016, 04:16:43 PM »
You game him a pretty nice pj with lovely dark, colours. Really like that small warband  :).

You've just proven that a very old saying has it completely wrong. You CAN make a silk purse out of a sows' ear.

Honestly, they are not very good. Aside from the honeycomb mail, the splints on the legs look like a collection of belaying pins tied together. The weapons are definitely out of scale, most of the helmets too narrow and the detailing very, very (too?) soft. I had high hopes for these sets as a basis for Late Eastern Romans (so called Byzantines) but I'm having second thoughts now.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 09:43:39 AM »
Here you go guys, fresh off their page.

The archers are terrible, I guess made in the similar manner s their other archer set. Whoever came up with the double headed axes idea has very strange imagination.

However, the rest looks at least interesting. I'm a big fan of bardiches, so that's something to look up for.

Offline Tordenskjold

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2017, 03:15:53 PM »
A shot of the sprue:

Bardiches: yay!

Rest of the miniatures: ...ugh.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2017, 03:25:44 PM »
Whoever came up with the double headed axes idea has very strange imagination.
It does seem like they are trying to double dip in the fantasy market. As long as they give a few arm/weapon options it's not a problem.

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 03:37:42 PM »
It does seem like they are trying to double dip in the fantasy market. As long as they give a few arm/weapon options it's not a problem.

Aye that is true. However, they are selling this kit with a specific period and specific nation in description... As much as I don't mind it more often than not, but I just wish they said it outright in this case.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2017, 05:48:35 PM »
I really wanted these to be great but I think they are pretty average. It says on their FB page that there is a separate spear sprue included, this should add some more normal weapons, that axe is ridiculous.

Suetonius Paullinus has certainly demonstrated what can be done with them though. I certainly don't think they're a lost cause by any means.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2017, 06:14:02 PM »
They are not the best kits around but certainly good enough for tabletop usage. Quite an unusual kit are there already miniatures around for this period as I don't recall ever seeing those strange halberds? The box includes extra spears read that too.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2017, 06:49:38 PM »
They don't look brilliant, but they look like they have some useful parts. I like them more than the russians and will probably buy a kit to kitbash.

Offline Madhouse Workshop

• Bookworm
    • http://psychosispc-themadhouseworkshop.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2017, 11:10:15 PM »
I saw them yesterday on FB, unlike the GBP Archers, I'm going to give these a try.  I think I can do something with them and will likely kit bash them.