Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:22:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689617
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Walking Dead - Scenery Booster  (Read 3551 times)

Offline SiamTiger

• Librarian
  • The collector of many things
    • Chaosbunker - Lots of Lead, Plastic and Ideas
The Walking Dead - Scenery Booster
« on: December 23, 2016, 10:42:07 AM »
Following the miniature games review, this is an unboxing and review of the scenery booster, that looks very promising and versatile.

The scenery booster is an upgrade for the board game, that replaces some of card board tokens from the starter set with 3D hard plastic models. Again a vacuum formed tray that carries the goods. For 20 GBP / 25 EUR you receive 4 car wrecks (2 x 2 types), 6 barricades (3 different designs) and 10 supply markers (5 different designs).

These loot / supply counters have 4 small and 6 medium sized tokens. The barricades are nicely done, with a lot of generic rubble, piled together.

The main argument for this set are the cars, you get 2 sedans and 2 pick up trucks. They are a bit smaller than the Mars Attack Range. The pick up is a logic part of this, as The Walking Dead plays in the United States, but why they went with the design of the W221 Mercedes S-Class for the sedan - I have no idea. I guessed they would use something like the Ford Crown Victoria, as those were used as police cars and taxis as well. Never the less, both designs are well done. And interesting part of the car design is, that they are hollow hulls, a fact I didn't notice in the kickstarter updates nor product images.

A scale comparison is mandatory. The cars work well with many modern 28mm ranges, like Studio Miniatures, Hasslefree or Spectre Miniatures. In the second image you see them next to 1:43 die cast cars. They work quite well with them, but you see that the scenery booster is around 1:50/1:56 scaled, as the S-class and Pick up would easily be longer than the 5 and 3 series BMW.

The barricades work great for modern conflicts and can be used with the most miniatures in 28 - 32mm scale. A marginal note, the plastic counters don't match in size with the card board tokens they replace.

Conclusion
The scenery booster is an interesting product, and by far not only for the players of The Walking Dead. If you have any modern setting in your gaming rotation, this is a set, that you should take a look at and get your hands on - at least once, if not twice. With the couple of Zombie systems available, and modern conflict rule sets like Ospreys Black Ops, Ambush Alley Games' Force on Force, or Spectre Miniatures Spectre Operations, there is plenty of usage and need for such terrain.

The pricing of 20 GBP / 25 Euro is fair, you might get your hands on the vehicle cheaper (rougly 3-5 Euro each at the Toy Store), but the barricades and supply counter, usually available in resin or pewter will set you back at least 15-20 Euro. So the booster is set at reasonable and attractive price range.

Link: Mantic Games
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 10:44:37 AM by SiamTiger »

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: The Walking Dead - Scenery Booster
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 10:54:47 AM »
Excellent review. Thanks! 8)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 10:55:54 AM »
Thank you for that review. I guess now I have no excuses left to not buy that set.

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 01:29:10 PM »
It really is a great set. When combined with the neoprene deluxe mat, the game looks awesome! I just need to finish painting up my zombies and scenery pieces.

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 04:38:07 PM »
I was pleased with it as well. My only complaint was the hollow vehicles which means you can't place them overturned without them looking silly.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 10:37:05 PM »
Great review thank you- pleased to note that all is hard plastic.   8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 03:30:37 AM »
I appreciate the review and scale comparison photos. I specifically ordered this scenery booster to use in my post-apocalyptic games. At least now I know it will suit my needs. I am just waiting for it to ship :?

-A
Mistress of slayage

My Oubliette:
http://audreysoubliette.wordpress.com

Offline Franck

• Student
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 08:33:58 AM »
My only complaint was the hollow vehicles which means you can't place them overturned without them looking silly.

Same here, that's why i find this scenery booster a bit expansive
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 10:53:54 PM by Franck »
"Despite what your Moma told you, violence does solve problems..."
Chris Kyle, American philosopher

"A bad day on the golf course will always be better than a good day at work..."

Offline Kadmon

• Schoolboy
    • The Games Nexus
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 06:05:17 PM »
The Games Nexus: For all your gaming needs - https://alkony.enerla.net/games-nexus

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 07:48:14 PM »
I like the hollow vehicles. I can stack them over shorter scatter pieces and maximize my terrain storage options.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 07:05:35 AM »
Great review, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

I suppose hollow cars make it easy to hide surprises in them.... loot or zombie, find out when you “open” the door!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Grah

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 03:53:35 PM »
Great review, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

I suppose hollow cars make it easy to hide surprises in them.... loot or zombie, find out when you “open” the door!

That is a great idea!