Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:59:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Turbaned heads in 28mm with breathers/gas masks  (Read 43749 times)

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
Re: Turbaned heads in 28mm with breathers/gas masks
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 09:03:56 PM »
Ahh, so compatibility? 28mm? 32mm?
As long as they're compatible with the plastic Warzone figures I'm happy. I agree that the gasmasks should all be one sprue of the same headgear, turbans, foreign service helmets, pickelhaubes, sun helmets, etc. I know the plastic Warzones come with a gasmasked pickelhaube head but it's not the nicest sculpt. 8)

Any chance you could send me one of these models as scale reference then? Is that even legal? Im not sure.

As for the rivets THunderchicken, well how many is too many? On a turban?!

Also, some reference pictures please! To help with what to do. I assume not this (the most awesome turrban in the world?)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 09:06:51 PM by Ramshackle_Curtis »

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 09:09:41 PM »
Ahh, so compatibility? 28mm? 32mm?
As long as they're compatible with the plastic Warzone figures I'm happy. I agree that the gasmasks should all be one sprue of the same headgear, turbans, foreign service helmets, pickelhaubes, sun helmets, etc. I know the plastic Warzones come with a gasmasked pickelhaube head but it's not the nicest sculpt. 8)

Any chance you could send me one of these models as scale reference then? Is that even legal? Im not sure.

As for the rivets THunderchicken, well how many is too many? On a turban?!

Yes I can. I'll send one of the not-British and one of the not-Germans, still on their sprues would be best I think. It's perfectly legal to make add on parts for other manufacturers miniatures and models. Just think of brass etched detailing kits for model tanks and aeroplanes.

Edit:In my opinion the not-Germans heads are very, very slightly to small.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 09:11:48 PM by twrchtrwyth »
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 08:10:44 AM »
Well, Im not sure about the legality of it. Anyway, its for scale reference. Im not suggesting that anyone actually use my models mixed with any other companies, especially not Games Workshop or Warzone or indeed any other comapny. ONLY USE RAMSHACKLE PRODUCTS ON THIER OWN! No conversion ESPECIALLY no adding or removing rivets OK?

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 09:45:30 AM »
A head in gasmask with a pickelhaube is in no way impinging on any ones copyright, unless you did an exact copy. Obviously you aren't selling as accessories to Warzone, you're sculpting VSF heads to turn any figures into VSF Prussians.

Brass etched kits for tanks etc are different as the images of those tanks are public domain and technically the tanks belong to the public. There was a threat recently by one of the tank companies to protect their IP and prevent people making kits of their tanks without paying fees, it got overuled due to the whole public serving military thing.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 01:24:41 AM »
A head in gasmask with a pickelhaube is in no way impinging on any ones copyright, unless you did an exact copy. Obviously you aren't selling as accessories to Warzone, you're sculpting VSF heads to turn any figures into VSF Prussians.

Brass etched kits for tanks etc are different as the images of those tanks are public domain and technically the tanks belong to the public. There was a threat recently by one of the tank companies to protect their IP and prevent people making kits of their tanks without paying fees, it got overuled due to the whole public serving military thing.
Yes, your post sounds more correct than mine, Warzone is a copyrighted product. I stand corrected. ;)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 09:20:22 PM »
Alternatively, i rather than adding gasmasks to 19th century turbaned Indian troops why not switch things round and add turbaned Indian heads to 'VSF' troops?

Westwind do a nice pack of 20 Indian heads (well, actually 19 turbans plus an officer in cap) that would fit well on plastic figures from another manufacturer, e.g. Warzone plastic Bauhaus troops or GW Cadian Imperial Guard (which would also allow you to use their heavy weapons).

Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 10:47:22 PM »
SO the basic sculpt of the turban went into silicone today, will have some casts by monday. Actually, after consultation with Dewbakuk I have come to realise that if I do small heads they will be too small and if I do big heads they will be too big, so Im going to do true 28mm and exagerated 28mm sets...

Now comes the hard part: deciding on a gas mask. What kind of gas mask are we talking here?

A:

B:

C:

So yes, please help me decide. If you find a better image pleas epost it or PM it to me....

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 11:21:57 PM »
I've already put my 2p in on this one, so I shall let others chime in without undue influence :)

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2009, 08:33:22 AM »
In my humble opinion A and C are too modern looking. C isn't far off what I'm issued with at the moment.

I'd go for B.
Don't!

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 05:33:25 PM »
In my humble opinion A and C are too modern looking. C isn't far off what I'm issued with at the moment.

I'd go for B.

I agree with Thunderchicken - of the three options shown, B looks best.

Or for a more historical (early WW1) look, how about a simple smoke hood with eye-pieces:

or with goggles:

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2009, 05:52:45 PM »
I personally dont think the plain hoods look very exciting, plus they are pretty easy for you to sculpt at home. Also, this is vsf, the emphasis for me is fiction and science, with only really a cursory nod towards the Victorian!

So, yes, the pith helmets will be getting definately seperate goggles and then piggy style masks. The slouch hats will be getting the full face piggy style mask(and maybe some corks!), and so Im still really stuck for the turbaned heads! Also, what about the beards? Inside or outside the gas mask?

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2009, 09:38:52 PM »
Here's some more.

Ones for nurses.

Belgian ones.

For Werewolves maybe?

This seems unusual with the pipe looking like a trunk.

Detail of a Hungarian model.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 09:44:05 PM by twrchtrwyth »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2009, 09:42:34 PM »

Also, some reference pictures please! To help with what to do. I assume not this (the most awesome turrban in the world?)

Oh my! What a magnificent turban  :o :-* 8)

Mr Ramshackle, any chance you could produce a figure like that?

I don't know what I would use him for, but he would be an essential buy!

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2009, 09:52:10 PM »
I personally dont think the plain hoods look very exciting, plus they are pretty easy for you to sculpt at home. Also, this is vsf, the emphasis for me is fiction and science, with only really a cursory nod towards the Victorian!

So, yes, the pith helmets will be getting definately seperate goggles and then piggy style masks. The slouch hats will be getting the full face piggy style mask(and maybe some corks!), and so Im still really stuck for the turbaned heads! Also, what about the beards? Inside or outside the gas mask?
I think Pith helmets would look better with non-seperate goggles like in the 4th picture in my post above. Thinking about it the hoses might be difficult to sculpt so maybe just make them so you can put on your own with just a canister sprue like in the 8th picture in my post above.

Looking at the 1st picture beards seem not to show.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2009, 10:27:45 PM »
I personally dont think the plain hoods look very exciting, plus they are pretty easy for you to sculpt at home.

Not me old chap, my sculpting skills are poo so I look to line the pockets of those such as yourself (which isn't a bad thing  ;)).

I'm coming from a purely VSF viewpoint with my opinion on the masks but as you said, if you take the Victorian bit out of VSF then the world's your oyster with the design. Easy on the rivets though.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 10:32:18 PM by Thunderchicken »