Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:45:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Scariff Shield Gate - a question of size  (Read 1250 times)

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Scariff Shield Gate - a question of size
« on: December 31, 2016, 03:10:14 PM »
Ok, spoilers alert - I'm talking about Rogue One, so for that handful of people that really want to see it, but haven't for whatever bizarre reason, don't read on......

I'm toying with the idea of building it in 1/2256 scale to go with my Star Wars fleet project .... which coincidentally includes a couple of Imperial Star Destroyers, but how big is the gate?

The following image is from Mel Miniatures (on shapeways), and is a decent graphical representation of the layout - you can clearly see the tie fighter hangers etc....

Not the best view - I've seen the movie twice so far, and it looks roughly ISD sized, especially when the ISD crashes into it at the end of the movie....

That would make the gate roughly 1500m-2000m across or 65-90cm diameter for a 1/2256 model.

When the zeta shuttle (35m long according to the visual guide) descends to the planet, I've guesstimated that the central aperture is c10 shuttles length across, or 350m. Given the central area is roughly a third of the total diameter, it fits in roughly with the lower end of the "one ISD in length" measure.

and then there is this....

X- wings are tiny in 1/2256, we are talking a few millimetres. Using the guesstimate measuring above, the V-girders would be 100m across, which equates to 4.4cm, which feels doable for a flight of x-wings, but also something that could result in collision.

Does this all sound reasonable, or has anyone any better shots for sizing purposes?

:)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Scariff Shield Gate - a question of size
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 04:05:04 PM »
Due to recent copyright rulings by a certain German court, please imagine a Darth Vader image with the "Impressive. Most impressive." quote here.

;)

That said, and my expericence with your previous projects, I won't go into reasons of practicability vs insanity. lol

I'd guess the size of a "terrain piece" like this should probably dependent on the type of movement the game will have - if it is swarms of fighters and small vessels moving around the Star Destroyers and Alliance Battleships, or if the battlewagons themselves do the manoeuvering.

In the former case, I'd guess you should probably make the whole thing Star Destroyer-sized. 2ft sounds practical enough for that reason, and you could probably design the station in such a way as to be able to place fighter stands on it.

Case the second, I'd probably condense it a bit while keeping the overall relative sizes fitting. In that case, maybe 18-20in would be sufficient, IMHO.

Strangely enough, the "Visual Encyclopaedia" has next to nothing on the shield gate and little on the space battle.