Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:23:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dampfpanzerwagon's Flying Shark!  (Read 11412 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Dampfpanzerwagon's Flying Shark!
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 08:50:07 AM »
Very nice contours - and another variation on the use of foam - interesting.   8) 8) 8)

Offline Johnnytodd

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 12:03:42 PM »
Nice smooth work!

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 08:29:31 AM »
The latest update shows the card keel that was added to the model. The keel was built from three separate pieces of 1mm thick card - it was easier to cut the profile in three parts rather than try to cut it out in one.

The main piece runs from the bow, level with the deck to about 3/4 of the way under the hull, The rear section is about 10mm long and ends in the Anal Fin and the small addition to the very front is just 5mm tall.

All of the individual parts were coated in superglue before being cut and sanded to shape. As you can see the small addition to the bow has still to be sanded back (to reduce the gloss finish of the superglue). Any gaps were filled with the filler/uPVA glue mix.

The Hammerhead Shark head has also been coated with the filler/uPVA glue mix and then sanded smooth.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/bs2017-hammerhead-shark-part-seven.html

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 08:46:04 AM »
At long last - the main mast has been fitted. I tapered a cocktail stick by sanding it with a sanding stick and glued it into a 1mm hole into the fore-deck.

The model is 154mm long, 50mm wide (across the head), 25mm wide (across the hull) and 75mm tall (to the top of the mast).

Once again, the hull has been painted with a filler and uPVA glue mix then sanded with fine abrasive pads to smooth out the small imperfections.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/bs2017-hammerhead-shark-part-eight.html

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2017, 02:03:56 AM »
Great progress Tony, especially as it must be really fiddly at the smaller scale.  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2017, 08:31:23 AM »
I decided to remove the modern plastic vents or gills from the hull sides and replace them with sculpted or modelled plastic card gills.

The vents were removed by placing a scalpel blade between the vents and the hull and twisting the blade - this did cause some damage, but this was quickly repaired with filler. I cut a strip of 4mm thick plastic card into a tapered or sharp triangle section and then sanded the cut edges smooth. Once I was happy with the profile I glued four gills to each side of the forward hull with superglue. When the glue was fully set, I used a scalpel and sanding sticks to refine the shape. I think the sculpted gills look better than the earlier grey plastic ones.

The hammerhead shark head was further detailed by sanding and the addition of more filler. I was very aware that this particular feature could make-or-break this particular build, So time spent getting it right was in my opinion time well spent.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/bs2017-hammerhead-shark-part-nine.html

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2017, 10:39:56 AM »
She's coming along nicely - an elegant little beauty.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2017, 08:34:36 AM »

Now that the hull has been modelled it is now time to start adding the detail and in particular the Aeronef themed detailing. My plan is to add a fore and aft gun on a round bases and four gun openings to each side of the hull. Remember this is supposed to be an Aeronef flying ship and not the more primitive Spelljammer ship with catapults and Ballista.

The finished Aeronef will feature alongside my Squidship, Lilith as featured in this earlier post and will crewed by Martians.
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=squidship

Once the freezing cold weather relents, I'll get back down the shed and start modelling these fine details.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/bs2017-hammerhead-shark-part-ten.html
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:58:20 AM by dampfpanzerwagon »

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2017, 09:04:18 AM »
Lovely smooth lines - really like the hammerhead

:)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2017, 09:14:07 AM »
Lovely shapes  8)

Will it be a challange to fit the tail fins?

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2017, 05:24:02 PM »
Lovely shapes  8)

Will it be a challange to fit the tail fins?

I'll know in the next couple of days.....

Tony

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2017, 08:34:19 AM »

In this daily update, I have added five gun ports to each side of the main hull. I was planning four a side, but thought that five fitted better. There are also some deck details which like the gun ports were modelled with various thicknesses of card.

I estimate that there are over 60 separate or individual pieces used so far and construction is only about 60% finished.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/bs2017-hammerhead-shark-part-eleven.html

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2017, 08:39:29 AM »
The tail section was constructed from a single piece of .75mm plastic card which was cut and sanded to shape before being inserted into a grove in the tail section. Once the tail was in place I sealed the area with both Green Stuff and superglue.

I have added liquid superglue to the tail section to build-up an aerofoil section which I will further fill and sand later in the project.

Additional ventral fins were added to the tail section, modelled from plastic card and glued in place with superglue.

During planning for this model I came across these Shark Aircraft which I thought were worth sharing with the group.

For full details go to this link;
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=4100.0

[/img]

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/bs2017-hammerhead-shark-part-twelve.html

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2017, 01:38:03 PM »
That's looking good Tony! It's starting to come together! :-*

I found something on that link you posted. I think the Spelljammer people missed out on some design potential here..... lol

« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:13:03 AM by Andym »

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2017, 08:29:15 AM »
The latest post shows how I have added the viewing ports or galleries to either side of the rear hull. These were constructed from sections of pen barrels with plastic card bases and tops. They were glued in place with superglue and further detailed with sticky-back plastic.

Other detail included some scroll work on the hull sides and the distinctive Hammerhead Sharks eyes which were constructed from the tops of some round plastic rods.

Larger images of construction are available on the blog - just 'click' on the image for better views.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/bs2017-hammerhead-shark-part-thirteen.html