Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:59:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689749
  • Total Topics: 118292
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Shadows of Brimstone collection.  (Read 4893 times)

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
My Shadows of Brimstone collection.
« on: January 06, 2017, 03:20:06 PM »
Last year I started collecting the Shadows of Brimstone, and I have only made a minimum of effort to paint all the miniatures. With so many to paint, I have only done a quick job of it and used liberal amounts of ArmyPainter Quickshade/ Quickshade ink. I am still pretty happy with the results in general, as it's nicer to see a splash of colour than just grey boring plastic when playing the game  lol. I am running a campaign down at my club currently with six players, I play the Bandido.

The only conversion I've made is on the Bandido. The gun barrel dropped off so I bough the Reaper Deadlands Weapons pack and also cut off the dynamite hand and made him into a two gun pistolero, like my character. One of the picks fell off one of the Hungry Dead during the first game and I have been unable to find it, but might replace it at some point.

Left to paint is the Lava Men from Caverns of Cynder, the Trederra Deluxe OtherWorld expansion, the Dark Stone Hydra, Doorways into Darkness and the Guardian of Targa. I am missing the Swamp Slugs of Jargono, but they have proven very difficult to get hold of, so might order them directly from Flying Frog.

"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Re: My Shadows of Brimstone collection.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 10:21:14 PM »
Crikey I thought you had died and gone to wargamers heaven wherever that is.  :o

No idea what the shadow of brimstone is ( I need to get out more I know) but I like the dude with the long tongue 2nd from last pic.

Good to see you back.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 11:07:03 PM »
Crikey I thought you had died and gone to wargamers heaven wherever that is.  :o

No idea what the shadow of brimstone is ( I need to get out more I know) but I like the dude with the long tongue 2nd from last pic.

Good to see you back.

No mate, just been far too busy with work and RL in general, the gaming hobby has been on the backburner for quite some time now.

SoB is essentially a fully co-op boardgame/ RPG hybrid dungeon crawl (Descent/ Hero Quest/ Talisman etc), where the 'posse' (up to six players) play against the game. Great game but need LOTS of space for tiles, cards, markers and all the other stuff.

The miniatures are all multipart hard plastic and the one you like is called The Goliath.

Offline Vampifan

• Scientist
    • Vampifan's World of the Undead
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 11:16:57 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Shadows of Brimstone and I have all of the figures you've shown here. A word of advice regarding the Swamp Slugs of Jargano. I, too, found them hard to find but they do pop up on eBay and I got a set for a very good price. I'd keep checking eBay regularly. I'd advise staying away from ordering direct from Flying Frog as their postage rates are extortionate. $70.00 p & p is about their lowest rate for orders to the UK. Fair enough if money is no object but for most of us that is way beyond the pale.  :o

Almost forgot to say - nicely painted collection of figures.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 05:13:07 AM »
Excellent!  Thanks for sharing, Legionnaire.  The character figures are not especially strong figures (good poses, shallow detail) but you have made them look quite decent.  I went a different route and have been binging on Black Scorpion figures for the characters (one of the Mexican packs BS sells has an excellent two-revolver bandido).  I have not painted nearly as many of the critters as you have.

Our Friday night group has been playing Shadows of Brimstone for about a month and a half now, and it is a hit.  Now that we have some experience with the rules and flow of the game, we are going to start a new posse and try to enhance the role-playing element more.

I did not know the swamp slugs were hard to find.  I recently ordered a set through Amazon, and they showed up fairly promptly. You might check that option to see how s&h runs. 

I think they are currently unavailable, but Flying Frog released six "previews" of new character classes at GenCon.  My wife managed to snag them from the FF site while they were available, and they are all excellent.  Hopefully they will be back in production soon.  I strongly recommend them when they do show up again.  They are the Orphan (really interesting class), the Drifter (complicated, but lots of character), the Cowboy, the Frontier Doc, the Prospector, and the Jargono Native. The miniatures they did for these characters are much better sculpts than the original character sculpts.

Again, thanks for the pictures of your models.  Much appreciated.

-Michael

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 09:47:41 AM »
I'm a huge fan of Shadows of Brimstone and I have all of the figures you've shown here. A word of advice regarding the Swamp Slugs of Jargano. I, too, found them hard to find but they do pop up on eBay and I got a set for a very good price. I'd keep checking eBay regularly. I'd advise staying away from ordering direct from Flying Frog as their postage rates are extortionate. $70.00 p & p is about their lowest rate for orders to the UK. Fair enough if money is no object but for most of us that is way beyond the pale.  :o

Almost forgot to say - nicely painted collection of figures.

Thank you very much Vampifan, much appreciated. I have seen your own work on your page and you have a lovely painted collection yourself, especially like the way you've done the Lava Men (looks a bit time consuming so I dread to paint them a little, but it has to be done.)

Just before Christmas I ordered ALL 10 of the card expansions from FF, got them for about £70 with P&P and I've checked out the Swamp Slugs, $14 P&P to the UK, about £28 in total which still would be cheaper than the offers I've found on eBay.

Legionnaire

Offline Vampifan

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 10:20:05 AM »
That's actually not a bad deal, Legionnaire. I've only got a couple of the card expansion sets and would like them all. It might be worth checking out Flying Frog after all. Cheers!

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 10:20:38 AM »
Excellent!  Thanks for sharing, Legionnaire.  The character figures are not especially strong figures (good poses, shallow detail) but you have made them look quite decent.  I went a different route and have been binging on Black Scorpion figures for the characters (one of the Mexican packs BS sells has an excellent two-revolver bandido).  I have not painted nearly as many of the critters as you have.

Our Friday night group has been playing Shadows of Brimstone for about a month and a half now, and it is a hit.  Now that we have some experience with the rules and flow of the game, we are going to start a new posse and try to enhance the role-playing element more.

I did not know the swamp slugs were hard to find.  I recently ordered a set through Amazon, and they showed up fairly promptly. You might check that option to see how s&h runs. 

I think they are currently unavailable, but Flying Frog released six "previews" of new character classes at GenCon.  My wife managed to snag them from the FF site while they were available, and they are all excellent.  Hopefully they will be back in production soon.  I strongly recommend them when they do show up again.  They are the Orphan (really interesting class), the Drifter (complicated, but lots of character), the Cowboy, the Frontier Doc, the Prospector, and the Jargono Native. The miniatures they did for these characters are much better sculpts than the original character sculpts.

Again, thanks for the pictures of your models.  Much appreciated.

-Michael

Thank you for the kind words. The only slight gripe I have with the figures are that some of them aren't fitting together very well and despite using superglue they sometimes come apart (have glued Colonel Scafford together twice or three times...). So far we've also found it slightly challenging to gain enough money. It took my Bandido the best part of FIVE games to be able to afford a Horse and fill the Side Bag (capacity 7) with Bandages, Whiskey and two Dynamite. I can see that vaunted Gunfighter's Pistol being another couple of games away, let alone the matching pair that would be so nice to have...

I think the Swamp Slugs issue exists mostly outside the US and most retailers over here in the UK (Amazon included) have had them listed as out of stock for quite some time now.

Yes, I had my eyes on the Drifter and the Frontier Doc, but put it off for too long so by the time I had the funds to order them and other stuff they were no longer available on the web page  >:(!!!

We play every two weeks down at my local gaming club and we are getting used to the rules by now, I am using some house rules from Philbarfly (boardgame geek site), like rolling for Initiative (but only once every fight) and Enemy appearing at random adjacent tiles instead of all on the same tile. We also share and split the combat xp but everything else is individually earned. We've had somewhat of a bad run the past games, and have just reached level 3:

- Indian Scout: TWO Injuries, Possessed and lost some permanent Health when the Doc botched the surgery roll (down to 6 Permanent Health)... I told the player that he has three options, either carry on playing this 'wreck', keep the equipment but make another Indian Scout from scratch with different starting ability OR play the Gunslinger (which is the only character we haven't played yet). It's my game so I take certain liberties and want everyone to enjoy playing the game.

- Bandido: Gained the Soul Parasite during the FIRST adventure (but I intend to keep it anyways), had a Hand Injury (combat efficiency essentially halved one Adventure...) and is now sporting a Chest Portal and a Tentacle Moustache!

- Lawman: Eye Injury which the Doc failed to heal.

- Priest: Got an Internal Bleeding Injury during the third game and another Injury in the fourth, due to that he only rolled 1D6 on the Injury table, rolled a 1... We didn't have $1000 to spend on Resurrection, so the player has now swapped for a US Marshal.

On the plus side:

- Saloon Girl: Really a force of Nature, never been KO'd (thanks to high Defence) and armed with the Vicious Axe she hits well above her weight class (Dirty Fighting and something else so she's at +2 Damage)! She has a Prehensile Tail now so might buy a gun of some sort to broaden her options.

- Rancher: Got a Targa Artifact Rifle (forgot the name atm) for a bargain price, allowing her to get Critical Hits on 5+ and 2 Shots.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 10:23:47 AM »
That's actually not a bad deal, Legionnaire. I've only got a couple of the card expansion sets and would like them all. It might be worth checking out Flying Frog after all. Cheers!

They had some Christmas deal going on so the Card expansions were 'choose three for $20', don't know if that one is still going on.

Offline Vampifan

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 12:24:57 PM »
The offer still applies, Legionnaire. Many thanks for pointing this out to me. I have just ordered nine sets of cards with the Buy Two Get One Free offer of $20 and postage was a fairly reasonable $23. I'm very much obliged to you!

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 03:23:44 PM »
I ordered all the card expansions from that deal as well, and they just arrived yesterday.  Going to spend part of the morning shuffling them in.  Sadly, they were out of the Jargono artifacts when I ordered.

The saloon girl with dirty fighting is very effective, in our (still limited) experience. 

The original solo posse I ran to learn the rules was: Lawman, Gunfighter, Preacher (shotgun variant) and Indian scout.  All proved effective, although as they went up levels the Gunfighter and the Lawman pulled ahead of the other two in experience (playing experience earning as written).  For the new campaign we are gearing up to start, I think are going let characters keep half the experience they earn and the other half goes into a pool to be evenly divided among the survivors at the end of a mission.

The Friday night group = Lawman, Gunfighter, U.S. Marshal, Piano Player, and Bandita.  All did well, except the Marshal who was terrible (he only had one shot a round with his shotgun, but hit on a d8 roll of 4+... but he went though the entire adventure hitting ONCE; he was later eaten by a demon on the way back to town and he was not greatly mourned).  The dead Marshal was replaced by a Preacher (Blessing variant), who proved much more effective (in my - again, limited - experience the Blessing variant of the Preacher is stronger than the shotgun variant).

On the subject of Preachers, who makes good Preacher figures for the game?  Black Scorpion makes an excellent figure for the shotgun variant, and the FF figure is one of only two of their starting character figures I have painted.  But I may be running a preacher in the new posse, and I would ideally like a different figure (no shotgun).

For the new posse, it looks like Stacy (Neotacha on this forum) is going to run an orphan and one of players is going to run (another) gunfighter - he is very keen on this whole shoots-early-and-shoots-lots idea.  Have not heard what the other two players are interested in.  I am holding my choice to see what the party looks like.  If no one runs either a Doc or a Preacher, I will run one of those.

It has been fun looking at the Western miniatures out there.  I have painted c. 16 Black Scorpion figures for the game so far (will try to post pictures at some point).  I just finisher Reaper's Josey Wales figure and I have painted two from Great Escape Games (they are solid figures, but smaller than the Reaper and BS figures). 

-Michael

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 08:39:03 PM »
The offer still applies, Legionnaire. Many thanks for pointing this out to me. I have just ordered nine sets of cards with the Buy Two Get One Free offer of $20 and postage was a fairly reasonable $23. I'm very much obliged to you!

You're welcome mate, my pleasure  :).

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 08:51:26 PM »
I ordered all the card expansions from that deal as well, and they just arrived yesterday.  Going to spend part of the morning shuffling them in.  Sadly, they were out of the Jargono artifacts when I ordered.

On the subject of Preachers, who makes good Preacher figures for the game?  Black Scorpion makes an excellent figure for the shotgun variant, and the FF figure is one of only two of their starting character figures I have painted.  But I may be running a preacher in the new posse, and I would ideally like a different figure (no shotgun).

-Michael

I was lucky enough to get all 10 Card Expansions. Now I only need to get those Swamp Slugs sorted  lol lol.

I have three (four if you count the Reaper Chronoscope Vicar https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/priest/latest/50081) preachers (BS and Artizan), but apart from the SoB character, they all sport some kind of weapon, and the Chronoscope one looks too modern to fit in.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 03:04:10 AM »
He does look too modern, I agree.

How about this chap, with maybe a book strapped to his back?

Or this fellow, again with a book added:

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 03:08:38 AM »
Sorry, posted that before I was finished.  Here is the fellow I actually started out looking for:

All three of these figures are Chronoscope figures. In order of the pictures they are:
    Victorian Lord & Dame
    Benedict Baker
    Abraham Van Helsing, Vampire Hunter

-Michael

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 03:17:39 AM by mweaver »