Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:14:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686458
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 13th century Danish Crusader army  (Read 14013 times)

Offline Khurasan Miniatures

• Mastermind
  • Miniature manufacturer to the stars
    • Khurasan Miniatures
Re: 13th century heraldic issues
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 01:36:25 PM »
In the 13th century, for infantry you would generally have town militias, feudal troops, feudal levies, and mercenaries.

Just in terms of shields:

Town Militias would either carry the mark of their town, the quarter they lived in, or their guild.

Feudal troops might carry a simplified version of their lords heraldry.

Feudal levies might just carry the primary colour of their lord, or a monotone shield colour, or even just leather or wood.

Mercenaries could have either monotone colours or simple geometric patterns, or if serving long term, the patterns of whomever hired them.

For instance on the Bayeux Tapestry there's a scene in which two milites are fighting on foot with spears in front and behind them are a mass of men also wearing armour and fighting with spears. The men in front have long swords very prominently displayed, and decorated shields. The mass of men behind don't have swords displayed and their shields are monotone in blue, red, or yellow/leather with little multicolour dots on them around the boss. The men in front seem pretty obviously knights, those in back either mercenaries or feudal troops.

In terms of clothing...

It's possible that urban militias might have worn their town or guild colours on their clothing but I don't think others would have. They probably would have had clothing in different colours.

So if I'm painting up some feudal infantry I'd look at the assorted heraldry on my Knights and do the infantry shields in a simple version of those patterns, maybe one or two per. Might throw in some monotone shields and a couple just leather.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 02:43:56 PM by Khurasan Miniatures »
Khurasan Miniatures

Like us on Facebook for updates:
http://www.facebook.com/khurasanminiatures

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 02:05:31 PM »
Very nice miniatures there Dr. Z. Good thing you repaintad the shields. They look much better.

I really like your mix of troops. Its a really rugged looking bunch.

I have some Archers that only needs their photoshot before they are ready to join this thread.

More feudal infantry is also due for the weekend.

I am very proud that I didnt let you drag me over to your renaissance sideway. I must admit to being very tempted, but I will wait for our kickstarter landsknechts.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 03:18:02 PM »
In my last post I mentioned I had painted up some reinforcements for our Lyndanisse project.

First up is two units of archers from Curteys miniatures. Really nice miniatures that fit perfectly into our early 13th century project.

Next another unit of levy spearmen. These are painted using the colors of the Danish noble family of Bild. They had lands on the island of Fuen close to the Baltic and therefor a natural supplier of troops for King Valdemars crusade against the pagan pirats

These miniatures are from Black Tree Miniatures. I was actually a bit disapointed when I first got the miniatures as they had a lot of flach and looked rather bulky. When cleaned they painted up very nice and I am very pleased with the end result. It is defenitely not the last time I buy miniatures from Black Tree. Especially with all their hefty discounts.

A very good weekend to you all

Erik
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:41:18 PM by Erik »

Offline Erik

• Scientist
Re: 13th century Danish Crusader army
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 10:42:58 AM »
I have changed the subject name as I will be using this thread to record my painting progress. Anyone with heraldic advice are still more than welcome to post it here.

To go with the new subject name I give you the newest addition to the army in form of another unit of spearmen. These guys are better equipped with more quilted armor and a knight/sergeant in full mail to led them.

They are from the Danish noble family of Banner. This family is from Jutland and part of the oldest known Danish noble families. I have thrown in some very simple crosses on the plain shields. They are purposely painted very crude as I imagine the troops having painted them themselves with whatever tools they had a hand.

Again from Black Tree Miniatures. The more I paint from this company the more I like them.

Cheers
Erik
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:38:59 PM by Erik »

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 01:09:33 PM »
They look very cool. Very grim and gritty. I have two more bases on deck myself.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 08:20:23 AM »
Some great expressions on the faces of those grim warriors - nicely done!
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 02:31:41 PM »
very nice effort
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 08:12:15 AM »
Looking good, a nice unit composition.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2018, 04:15:30 PM »
After a long time painting By Fire and Sword miniatures and Punic War Romans and Carthagenians I am finally back with my Danish crusader army for the 800 year anniversary our national colors "Dannebrog" next year.

Unfortunately the first pictures of this post got lost in Photobucket Gate but there are many good points on heraldic, so I will keep it going and in the future make new pictures of the unit already painted.

My first unit is another unit of spearmen (not the last I can asure you). These guys are better armored than the previous ones and will be used to represent hirdmen. They are in the colors of the Danish noble family Bang. Originating from the island Lolland in the southeast of Denmark, these guys definetily felt the wrath of the pegan pirats from across the Baltic and would welcome a chance to hit back.

Hope you like them. More to come in the following weeks.

Erik

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2018, 05:03:33 PM »
They look great.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2018, 08:51:02 PM »
Very nice  :D 8) 8)

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2018, 05:08:54 PM »
More crusaders join the holy war against paganism. These guys are from the Butze noble family of Langeland. Langeland is also one of Denmark's southern islands that were often attacked by pagan pirates. In 1993 archaeologist excavated the hilltop defensive site Guldborg. Here they found the gruesome remains of just such an attack. Around the burned gate was found the remains of human skeletons, many of them with clear damages from cuts and blows. The defenders making a last stand around the gate! Among the human skeletons was also found a horse skull and four hoofs, but nothing else of the horse. The excavators were pretty certain that the horse was sacrificed by the pagans and the skin with skull and hoof still on erected on a pole, as this was a well know pagan custom.

Now if that does not give you reason to go crusading I don't know what will. The Butze family is part of Denmarks oldest noble families, so they would definitely have wanted revenge for this atrocity.

What better trop to brings on the crusade thsn yet more spearmen

cheers
Erik
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 04:06:40 PM by Erik »

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2018, 05:22:12 PM »
They look awesome. I have better get going on my pagans. Otherwise I’ll get completely overwhelmed by your holy fanatics.

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2018, 06:00:25 PM »
Great looking collection :-*

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2018, 08:35:20 PM »
Wow what a great threat. Loving it.