Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:40:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 13th century Danish Crusader army  (Read 14020 times)

Offline Erik

• Scientist
Re: 13th century Danish Crusader army
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2018, 02:48:29 PM »
More spearmen this time from the Scanian noble house of Thott. I like their red and yellow heraldic.

I have shown them with their as yet nameless knight (i'll find something in Saxo). Last year I painted a unit of these guys (from Curteys miniatures) but thought they looked a bit too elite with all barded warhorses. I plan to paint some unbarded knight to serve as squires and sergeants for the knights and mix them together in two units instead. I have used nobles from different families with the idea that the nobles assemble with their followers on foot and join together in mounted units on campaign. All the spearmen units I have shown so far have knight representing the noble families in the mounted unit. The more wealthy families have more knight while less powerful families might only have one knight and no followers on foot.

I am waiting for the knight from Curteys at the moment and hope to have them done very soon, so that the knight units can finally be completed.

Cheers
Erik

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2018, 02:52:24 PM »
Another great unit. I really like how all the infantry has a matching knight in the army. It is going to look great once they are lined up for battle.

Offline gostgost

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2018, 05:06:29 PM »
What make of yellow paint do you use?
I struggle to find one that covers.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2018, 06:20:17 AM »
What make of yellow paint do you use?
I struggle to find one that covers.

Same here. At the moment I am using Army Painters yellow, but it dosnt cover. It need two-three layers. I have been experimenting with a leather brown layer first and yellow on top of that. Its works quite well and also ads shading.

Erik

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2018, 05:17:14 PM »
I have been making some command bases for my Danish crusaders. I usually make my command bases circular but this time I have made them semicircular so that they can line up to the front of the base when they join a unit. It's something I saw way back in a 2011 issue of WI.

The first commander is from the noble family Sehested. I read that they were among the first German noble families to settle in Holstein and Slesvig after the Danes had "pacified" the areas. Surely these new kidson the block would be eager to show the king their loyalty.  I got the miniatures some years back at Tactica. I can't remember who he was supposed to represent, but I think he looks bang on an early 13th-century knight.

The next command base is Johannes Ebbesen from the Hvide family. None of that pansy modern German dress for these lads. Just good old fashioned chainmail, please. Johannes Ebbesen was the marshal to King Valdemar and nephew of bishop Anders Sunesen who joined the King in Estonia and prayed all through the battle for victory until finally as a sign from God, the Dannebrog fell from the sky. He went on crusade to the Holyland in 1227 and died there.

To further aid the Danish crusaders, a unit of crossbows to join the fight. This top modern weapon of almost mass destruction will surely make the pagans think twice before they storm any crusader position.

My sergeants have arrived. So the next couple of week will be all about cavalry.

Chers
Erik

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2018, 05:53:19 PM »
Those command bases are awesome. I will have to steal that idea and redo my command bases.

Isn't it time for you to show us a class photo of the entire army?

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2018, 07:01:52 PM »
A few cavalry units and then I'm ready  ;)

Maybe Anders Sunesen and Valdemar as well, but then I'm definitely ready  ;) ;)

Erik

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2018, 08:13:36 AM »
Excellent new additions!  :-*

Offline DavyJones

• Scientist
    • GlueandDice.com - Adventures in small worlds
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2018, 10:27:47 AM »
Great stuff here.  :-*

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2018, 04:54:30 PM »
All pagans flee! The heavy horse have landed and are hellbound on the destruction of everything and especially pagan stuff.

This is the first finished unit of my heavy horse for our Baltic crusade. They are a mix of Curteys barded and unbarded knight as I mentioned earlier. The plan is for the units to be a mix of different nobles, but this first unit is special as it is the mighty Hvide family. Probably Denmarks most powerful noble family at the time. Especially as they had formed a close bond with the royal family since the middle of the 12th century. They have been tasked with the honorable task of safeguarding the kings standard with three lions. The unit only contains men from the Hvide family, the kings standard, and a further royal knight to act as personal bodyguard (I mostly put him in the unit because a liked the shield and wanted to paint one more  :)).

I can't wait to get more done, so we can start playing.

I hope you like them.

Cheers
Erik

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2018, 05:19:22 PM »
They look great!

Did you freehand the Royal shields? They are awesome.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2018, 08:05:20 PM »
Thanks. Yes they are handpainted.

You can have a swing at them tomorrow night. You know what they say about new painted miniatures first time on the table. But then again most of the units are first-timers.

That ought to be fun

See you tomorrow
Erik

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2018, 04:56:06 AM »
Looking good  :D

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2018, 06:19:37 AM »
Here is a shot of the vicious crusaders mauling some innocent Baltic free people who were just enjoying themselves at the riverside.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2018, 07:19:08 AM »
And maul they did ENDEED.  :o :o

What a victory. If you see the top left corner, you can see the Danish knights have crossed the river and starting a wild charge down the pagan lines. In the bottom left corner you can see the Hvide levy have also crossed the river and are preparing to charge the other flank of the pagen battle line.

Cheers
Erik